naughty puppy evenings

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Kelhump, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Kelhump

Kelhump Registered Users

Hi does anyone have any tips tips on calming mad puppy of evening ?? Muprhy Is 14 wks old crated overnight and very good never had issues in his crate he is walked at 7am and early evening with couple training sessions in between !! But come to around 7ish when we want sit have calm time after busy/work day Murphy decides go mad for 2 hours biting jumping up pinching stuff weeing on kitchen floor etc!! Just wondered if anyone else had troubles calming there puppy of a evening ? X

Sharon Maclennan likes this.
  2. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

That is the one thing I don't like about puppies, those awful evenings when you just want to relax and they are a pain in the neck. I find they give this up at about 6 months and sleep all evening from then on:)

Kelhump likes this.
  3. Sharon Maclennan

Sharon Maclennan Registered Users

Hi Kelhump
    I'm so glad we are not the only ones experiencing this we call it his Mental Mickey Hour!Have started doing timeout in his crate just for a couple of minutes when the biting,nipping gets too much.Also let him go out in the garden seems to distract him.He is 12 weeks.

Kelhump likes this.
  4. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

A play session followed by a training session helps to wear them out, whilst avoiding over tiredness. Your puppy is just being a puppy, pretty much like babies seem to like to cry and grizzle in the evening just as you want to sit down and relax.

Kelhump likes this.
  5. samandmole

samandmole Registered Users

We have had exactly the same thing / it's exhausting!! I've found that a training session helps (good advice from the board here!) and a frozen puppy Kong is now our friend at this time as it wears him out!! Or I give him one of the Millie's Wolfheart lamb skin chews which also helps distract him - we tried rawhide which was initially fantastic but didn't agree with his tummy!! I give him a good walk late afternoon or a game in the garden and it's getting easier as the evenings get lighter. I have noticed that the zoomies are getting shorter now and he is pretty settled by 7 for the evening. He's now 15 weeks and beginning to see a light at the end of the tunnel but I feel your pain!!

Kelhump and Sharon Maclennan like this.
  6. Statler

Statler Registered Users

im not sure there is an answer, its very frustrating, its just a puppy thing although mines 16 weeks now and still doing it but im sure they grow out of it at some stage.

loving well behaved angel by day. devil dog by night. puppies really are horrible at times

Kelhump likes this.
  7. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

Very much par for the course with puppies! I used to call it the six o'clock stupids

At 2 and a half Molly still has a silly time around 6.00. She will do all sorts of things she doesn't do during the rest of the day (like going down the wasteper bin).

I take her for her evening walk then. There are an awful lot of people walking there dogs then. I used to assume it was because that was when they got home from work, now I am not so sure..........

Kelhump and snowbunny like this.
  8. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

we did a bit of training, supper, chewy (Lambskin) then pick a toy which he could chew and a massage. I still do the lie down for a massage thing and he's over 2 now. Its just a gentle one and he relaxes and is less tense and sleeps. Its a good opportunity to check him for lump bumps and grazes. He likes it.

Yes I agree pups can be horrid little monsters sometimes

Kelhump likes this.
  9. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

This is very, very normal - we give our selves over to the pup and enjoy them. It won't be long before he's a big dog and snoozing the evening away.

Meanwhile some training, some play with you and a walk around the block in the evenings will work wonders.

They are usually having snoozy evenings by nine months old. We have a room where no play is allowed - we go there to settle when pup flops, so that they know - from an early age, that this is the quiet room. But you can't expect a little one to flop when they are full of beans!

:)

Kelhump and MaccieD like this.
  10. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Before Willow was allowed out for walks, I used to carry her round the village at 6pm to avoid the craziness. It wore out her little mind so she'd have a snooze afterwards. When she was allowed to walk, and we brought Shadow home at around that same time, we coincided walks with that time. It's a good tactic :)

Kelhump likes this.
  11. Indy

Indy Registered Users

I agree everyone wants a nice calm puppy in the evening, so we can relax.
    One simple solution is to fill a Kong with some biscuit or kibble put a blanket on the floor next to you, ask for a sit then a down give the kong and put your foot on it, so it does not roll away. This really helps to calm and tire them and also teaches them to what you want.

Kelhump likes this.
  12. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

I so agree, they grow so fast anyway you should make time to enjoy and play with your puppy. I still have a play session with Juno every evening after her dinner, which she waits patiently for while I finish clearing up in the kitchen (that's the playtime not her dinner :rolleyes:) - it's our special time regardless of who else is around. Even if we are going out for dinner, Juno still gets her play before we leave the house. :)

Kelhump likes this.
  13. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

So what activities do you do with Murphy in the other 10 - 11 hours of the day from his walk to when you want to relax in the evening?

Kelhump likes this.
  14. Kelhump

Kelhump Registered Users

Glad hear all puppies are same !! and it usually always around the same time so might try walk round bloke!! Myself and Murphy are up at 6 30 go for walk about 7 ish then breakfast and play fetch for while then he usually zonks in his crate I go work for couple hours and my friend pops round lets him out for wee and stays plays in garden til I'm back hour later !! We usually go for walk between 3 and 4 on walk we practise his stay and recall which he getting very good at !! Then it's home where he zonks again til tea time and then I sit on floor with some treats he does sit down etc then will have quick power nap when he wakes up with bundles energy and he just don't stop barking biting pinching stuff and generally running around like mad puppy !! Feel he gets lots play/training time !! Have filled treat ball occupy him soon as it empty he starts again lol !! Was wondering make his walk little later and maybe longer as just doing 20 mins of lead as he just walks by side of me but not sure if to walk longer as don't want damage his legs !! Do u think he could do longer ? He then zonks about 9pm so he has good 2 hours running riot when we are just trying calm down for the night !!

15. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Personally I wouldn't do more than 20 minutes for a walk, particularly on lead walking which is hard work for puppies. Does Murphy get any off lead time on his walks? After his walk can you play with him in the garden for a while especially as the evenings are getting lighter? Knowing that he is full of energy around 7:00 why not play some games with him, he can play retrieve with soft toys indoors, or play hide and seek starting by letting him see where you hide a toy and encouraging him to find it and gradually becoming more difficult or hide treats around the room for Murphy to find. To calm him down after a good play you could do a short training session and encourage him to settle by rewarding for calm at the end. Puppies do have what appears to be boundless energy which needs to be occupied and as far as he is concerned you are his people to interact with and provide the play he needs

16. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

I found with mine that he was usually over-tired at around 6PM when he started to go crazy so put him in his crate with a frozen kong and he would quickly fall asleep. Wake up half an hour later relaxed and happy. Just like a baby....overtiredness makes them crazy!!! If you are ready to crash and relax yourself, getting up to take him/her for a walk is a pain. Give the crate plus kong a try and see if that helps both of you.

17. Kelhump

Kelhump Registered Users

Hi thanks for all advice tonight we have walked murph a little later all of lead and he sooooo good comes to his recall as he knows I have chicken lol we have been to the local pub with him for tea to where he was very well behaved and enjoyed saying hello to everyone !! I have filled a prepared Kong ready for when he starts his madness so hoping for better evening !! Fingers crossed X

MaccieD and Boogie like this.
  18. Kelhump

Kelhump Registered Users

Just let u know had such better evening not one episode of nightmare Murphy !!!yipeeee!!! Bought his his bed in from crate lay it by my feet gave him Kong which he demolished but every time he started go wild told him go on his bed which he did ( with a treat ) Murphy is now lay fast asleep and we have had pretty chilled night !!! Yeeeeeesssss !! thanks for all advice X

19. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Well done! Long may it continue :)

20. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

so sweet hope it continues love pups they are just so.............no word is expresive enough sorry