Need new collars....

Discussion in 'Products for dogs & their owners' started by Atemas, Jun 11, 2018.

1. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

They have a really fetching orange though.:rolleyes:

Jes72 likes this.
  2. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

Thank you everyone for your comments. Those Copenhagen ones look lovely but for this time I have ordered the Ruffwear Hoopie ones - a Red one for Sky and a black one for Red (that’s DH’s choice of colour - not sure myself but we will see :rolleyes:). I only ever use collars with clips. Sky had a dry posh red leather one once with a buckle and I ended up having to use an unglamorous elastic band to secure the flapping end :D.

charlie likes this.
  3. charlie

charlie Registered Users

The Copenhagen collars are lovely and would rid my fear of failing clips, pricey though! x

4. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

The red one will look lovely on Sky. Coco is wearing a red Hoopie at the moment - looks great against his black fur. (His blue one looks great too :rolleyes:)

5. SwampDonkey

Most collars last a while I've got some which are 10,years old and still fine. I make sure they are washed and rotated in use. I Dry them out after use and keep them clean. I once touched a dogs collar and it felt greasy when l looked closely it was grimy with dog jam and coat oil. It was appalling it made me shudder. I Don't mind filth or mud but this collar was something else it had even rubbed off fur, nightmare.

6. MF

MF Registered Users

Snowie has only worn collars with slide-in clips. Clips have never failed, although anyway we use a harness for attaching the leash, not the collar. Collar is just for ID tag when we go out, comes off at home and I’m pleased it’s easy to clip off - a buckle would be annoyingly cumbersome.

7. Nick19

Nick19 Registered Users

I never thought collar shopping could be so addictive, but it is!

Pepper’s latest is from Cranbery.

OH has now banned me from buying him any more collars for the time being!

MF, snowbunny, drjs@5 and 1 other person like this.
  8. SwampDonkey

I couldn't buy anything for ages due to Moo vet fees so I've lost time to make up. Also Rorys got a big neck and a lot of my old collars don't fit him.

Naya and edzbird like this.
  9. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Look forward to hearing how these wash - they look lovely.

Nick19 likes this.
  10. Emily

Emily Registered Users

Ella's collar and lead were made by a friend. The collar has a metal clip and ring and the lead had a soft padded handle at the end, with a second handle nearer to the clip, in case you suddenly need a little more control.

11. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

Just reread this I meant ‘very’ not ‘dry’ lol.

Sky has only ever had red collars - somehow can’t imagine her in any other colour.

Jes72 likes this.
  12. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

Ooh these are lovely :).

13. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

Homer now has a knufflewuff collar. It’s well padded adjustable with a strong plastic clip. We,be had Ancol buckle collars before but with all Homers swimming they fade to pink after a while.

I think a leather collar would be very smart but Homer is always in the river.

Form collars to leads. We need a new lead for Homer. Any recommendations? What do you have.

14. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

These would not work where we are! They would be covered in foxtails and burrs in about ten seconds flat :D

I swear by my Halti training leads. They're comfortable to use and versatile.

ETA: for anyone reading this who doesn't know - this isn't the Halti headcollar which I personally don't recommend. It's simply a double-ended 2m lead which has three attachment points along it so you can have it at different lengths, wrap it around your waist, over your shoulder etc. You can also use it on two connection points, such as the front and back fastener of a harness, a harness and a collar etc.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Company-of...528793785&sr=8-1&keywords=halti+training+lead

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    HAH and Nick19 like this.
  15. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

We have various but the most useful one is a double ended Halti. You can shorten or lengthen it by using the various rings along it’s length. Was extremely useful last week when we were camping.

16. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

As an alternative lead, I offer the Grippy. It has loops all along it's length (5 or 6 as standard - we have both), so it gives you different length options without moving the clip - and two handed use to if you need extra hold. I always used a double-ended Halti-style one with Belle, but need faster length change with Coco.

17. MF

MF Registered Users

I love the Ezydog bungy lead with a rubber water-ski handle. Very comfortable and your hand will never get crushed, and the metal clip is very sturdy. Washes well in the washing machine.

Also, it can’t accidentally wrap around a leg because of the firmness of the bungy cord. I found with the ordinary fabric leashes that if you dropped it it could entangle around the dog’s legs. We also meet a lot of dogs on leash and the bungy cord never gets tangled up with the other dog’s leash.

18. leejane

leejane Mum to the Mooster

I agree with the Halti lead. We have 3, and have even sewn or patched them up in places where Monty has chewed them , they are so durable and useful.
    I have the dog Copenhagen harness which I bought on a whim at crufts this year. If the collars are anything like the harness, they will last a lifetime , super strong, washable and comfy.

19. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Worried about my buckle collars now so dug out Hattie's old Ruffwear Hoopie. Got to get over my clip failure worries :rolleyes:

Do you think boys can wear orange, think I might invest in the Copenhagen for Charlie? x

HAH, drjs@5 and edzbird like this.
  20. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Absolutely they can! Coco would look stunning in orange (he has fluorescent orange....but a Proper orange...I think I need to shop...

HAH and charlie like this.