Need to crate Jenny for 3 to 4 hours one time

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by ReneeS., Sep 21, 2016.

1. ReneeS.

ReneeS. Registered Users

Hello everyone,
    I am having an outpatient procedure done to get rid of a kidney stone next week. I shouldn't be at the. Hospital no more than three hours. I live 10 minutes away. I was going to have John drop me off and I would call when ready to come home. Problem is hospital policy is that someone has to be there with you which leaves us in a dilemma for Jenny. Will she be okay in crate for that long. It's early in a.m. I have no one to come and let her out while we are gone. She was three months old the 16th. Usually she naps in a.m. After eating, out for pee and poop and playtime for up to two hours. If I leave her with a frozen Kong will she be okay until we get back? I'm worried about this but have no choice in the matter. Any suggestions?

2. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

At that age, we left Quinn in a pen with water and an area to pee/poo in case we were longer than expected. I would leave a kong wobbler with her breakfast and a kong. She was fine, and sometimes didn't even pee while we were out.

Honestly, we had a couple incidents where we got stuck and Quinn was in her crate longer than I would have liked and she was totally fine - slept the whole time. No accidents in crate. It's stressful for us, but if it's a one-off occurrence I think Jenny will be totally fine.

3. IreneM

IreneM Registered Users

Hi, our boy Jesse is 19 weeks old and we have to leave him in his crate at times for 3-4 hrs. He is doing well I make sure I take him out before, and play with him in the back yard. He gets a frozen kong and his favorite toy. He has been doing well, first when i come home is take him out and spend time with him. I always make sure we not longer usually under 3 hrs if something I can call my daughter to let him out and stay with until we get home.
    We also have a Wifi camera in the living room so i can check on him.
    Hope this helps.

4. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

Has she been in there that long before? Going by the rule of thumb that says one hour plus one hour per month of age she should be fine but if she isn't used to it you could do a couple of trial runs ahead of time.
    Or, what about crate in a sturdy pen or secure room that poses no chance of damage to her or the room? Or a neighbour or friend to run in?

I do think it would be wise to plan for longer than you were told, not because of complications but because things just don't go according to plan sometimes. I took my Mum down for her pacemaker removal and no one had read her chart which clearly said her pacemaker was not in the usual place on the left side of her chest but instead was on the right side. The operating room was set up for left side access and it took about two hours extra to switch the room around again. That kind of thing, and that's why John should be there too, to advocate and look out for you.

You will feel so much better when that stinkin stone is out. Friends have said how awful they are. Get well soon after.

5. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I agree that I'd plan for it to b (potentially much) longer and, in that case, if there's no-one to look after Jenny, I'd definitely use a pen arrangement. She'll be perfectly fine, have a bit of room to mooch about, toilet away from her bed if she needs to, and she'll still be safe.

Good luck with the procedure, and I hope you recover quickly.

6. Darben1976

Darben1976 Registered Users

Does your husband need to stay whole time? I have a pancreas disease and have endoscopies every few months and they request someone collects you (due to sedation) but not stay and wait. Maybe phone and double check? Otherwise sure she will be ok, fingers crossed

7. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

I had to have a hospital procedure when Homer was quite young, 3-4 months. We changed the day our cleaning lady came so she could be with him for a few hours mid morning. Not much cleaning done but a happy puppy.

8. Samantha Jones

Samantha Jones Registered Users

I'm sure Jenny will be fine, as will you! If you have nobody to pop in, can you give Jenny a secure area with her crate in, and leave the door open? Good luck with your op and get well soon

9. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I've had several procedures done at he hospital and previously checked with them regarding going home. They said as long as someone was there to collect me and be at home for a few hours that it was ok. Maybe your husband could pop home when you go to have the procedure then come back? Good luck

10. ReneeS.

ReneeS. Registered Users

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Yesterday was Jenny's appointment at the vet foe her 2nd shot. I talked to the vet about it and she said not to worry, Jenny will probably sleep most of the time. I'll leave a frozen Kong with her and not let her drink a whole bunch of water beforehand. Hospital policy is that John has to be at the hospital for duration. Maybe once I am in recovery, after procedure, he could sneak home, we live not even 10 minutes from hospital, and come right back. She does like her crate, that helps.

11. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Registered Users

Just wanted to wish you luck, as I don't have any further advice to offer as you have plenty of good tips already. :)