Nero doesn't seem to like walks...help!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Deano82, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Deano82

Deano82 Registered Users

Our Nero is 14 weeks old today. I have been taking him out for short 10 min walks twice a day for the last week. When we walk down the road away from the house he walks behind me and stops every few yards and just sits there refusing to move. When walking he keeps slowing down and looking back towards the house.
    When I finally get him to walk around the block...as soon as we start heading back towards the house he then walks very quick in front of me as if he cant wait to get home
    Any tips? It is getting very frustrating as I have to almost drag him around the block for the walk

2. Deano82

Deano82 Registered Users

Re: Nero doesn't seem to like walks...help!

Forgot to mention this is walking on a lead

3. Maggie68

Maggie68 Registered Users

Im not an expert, and you will Im sure get better advice, but how about taking a few treats along? As he moves forward give him a small treat ? If you can get to a park and can let him off, that shoud be good to. My pup Otis has learnt the word, treat, there may be better advice about recall, but when he comes to you a treat reward has really worked with Otis, along with saying, good dog. Dont be afraid to let him off the lead in a safe area, as a small pup, he will stay close by.

4. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I wouldn't try too hard as he doesn't really need walks at this age :) I'd be trying to take him out outings to experience new sights, sounds and people, but more along the lines of trips in the car to have a sit or little wander in a new place. But don't worry too much about the walks round the block. Work on building up his library of new experiences, making sure they are not scary to him. :) Exercise can happen as playtime in the house or garden or playtime in any other safe, enclosed place.

5. Indy

Indy Registered Users

14 weeks can be a bit young, it seems that Nero is a little nervous yet. Need to build up his confidence.
    Have you tried the clicker method, it does work.

6. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I live just off a dual carriageway and need to walk along this for 2 mins before turning towards the park. To start with Harley was also nervous and displayed similar behaviours to Nero. What I did was take some treats with me and reward her when she walked alongside me for 5 steps, then 10 - we are now up to 35-40 steps :). I also spent some time with Harley sat down at the back of the pavement for a few mins rewarding her for calm behaviour. After 1-2 weeks, i didn't have any more problems.

I use a harness which has really helped when she is eager to get somewhere as I am more able to control her without hurting her. Might be worth a try?

Good luck anyway ;)

7. Deano82

Deano82 Registered Users

Thanks for the replies. Yes I agree he is a little nervous. I will take treats along as he will do anything for food! We are planning to take him on a few trips in the car tomorrow to get him used to meeting other dogs and people. Everyone in my street always stop and comment on how handsome he is!

8. GreenBull

GreenBull Registered Users

i could have written that post myself. just change the dogs name.

all of our little strolls tend to be bouts of enthusiastic pulling followed by bouts of sit-down refuse to go anywhere protests.

we have a park about 100m away, we can just about manage to walk to it then we just do a little walking to heel practice followed by some sitting and staring at the cars / bikes / kids / dogs.

Not too bothered about it at the moment as he is only young.

if the OH is with us we can just about make it round the block.

9. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Riley was very stop/start when we started walking. I was told it was ok to reward him moving forward but try not to lure him forward with food as you're actually rewarding the stop by doing that. Just be patient, put a very tiny amount of pressure on the lead and reward when forward motion resumes.

It won't last long and walks will be the most exciting things in the world greeted with huge enthusiasm :)

10. AnnetteB

AnnetteB Registered Users

Great advice! Im storing it all away. ;)