Nero is sick

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Deano82, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Deano82

Deano82 Registered Users

The last 2 mornings I have noticed some vomit next to Neros bed and also some clear slimy liquid which has a little frothy kinda bile in it. Also today on his morning walk he vomited twice.
    He seems ok in himself and is eating fine. Anything I should be worried about do you think?

2. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Re: Nero is sick

Take him to the vet. Vomiting several days in a row is not normal, I would say. Has he been wormed recently?

3. Deano82

Deano82 Registered Users

He was wormed 3 weeks ago so he is due his next worming next week. I will keep him off his treats today and see how he is in the morning.

4. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

I'd be in the vets like Karen said x

5. Naya

Naya Registered Users

How is Nero? Did you take him to the vets?

6. Deano82

Deano82 Registered Users

We have put him on chicken and rice today and we will see how he is in the morning. If hes sick again we will take him tomorrow. He seems fine otherwise...eating good and is running around like a lunatic as usual!

7. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Chicken and rice is always a good one to try first :). Glad he appears ok apart from that :)

8. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Ok I don't want to worry you.

The vomit in the morning is it just bile?

If yes it could be he needs some more food at bedtime. Sometimes when a puppy is growing it produces excess bile when it goes too long without food eg overnight.

The other time I've experienced bile in a morning is when my dogs have eaten something unedible! This has also caused some vomiting in the day.

They have both done it and bile was produced every morning until the offending item was expelled.

Could Nero have eaten something he shouldn't?

Now don't panic I don't want to worry you i didnt know whether i should tell you but I'm just telling you my experience and it probably isn't that at all more likely a bug.

Even if he has eaten something he shouldnt you'd be surprised what can pass through. Scott ate a big round flat squeaker out of a cuddly toy whole. It reemerged two and a half weeks later from the other end and looked like it would still squeak!!!!!! ::)

Im sure Nero will be fine

Jen

9. Deano82

Deano82 Registered Users

In the morning it is a little bile but also some of his food also. Yesterday morning it was a light brown colour which was probably peanut butter as he has this in his kong once or twice a day. We have stopped the peanut butter for now. The vomiting is only in the morning he is fine the rest of the day

10. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Deano82 link=topic=4880.msg60932#msg60932 date=1394827730]
    In the morning it is a little bile but also some of his food also. Yesterday morning it was a light brown colour which was probably peanut butter as he has this in his kong once or twice a day. We have stopped the peanut butter for now. The vomiting is only in the morning he is fine the rest of the day
    [/quote]

I don't think you would detect peanut butter on it's own, without other food, in vomit some time after it was eaten, a dog's digestive system is quite fast, I think.

My bet is Jen's suggestion - too long between meals, and excess bike produced in a too empty tum.

11. Deano82

Deano82 Registered Users

There was bits of carrot in it from the night before. He has is last meal before bed around 6.30pm and then his next meal is around 8am. Do you think this is too long to go without food? Should we maybe feed him a little later?

12. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Well...don't know, really, it's just I associate bile with an empty tum. I'd be at the vet's to be honest.

But, I can't see it hurting to try if something more in his tum overnight helps. Maybe divide his food into more meals and feed something a little later.

13. elsarivka

elsarivka Registered Users

Our vet called this type of vomiting " hunger sicks". Willoughby had this as a pup. We gave him a bonio before bed and he stopped the morning vomiting.

14. jade805

jade805 Registered Users

How old is your puppy now? Bonio's gave Amy a bad tummy when little. So bad I haven't given her another even as a adult.

15. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I was also going to say give your pup a biscuit at bedtime. My two have a bonio and all my past ones have as well and never a problem.

16. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Hopefully Nero is improved this morning.

I think I remember reading that it takes 8 hours for a dogs stomach to empty so if his last food is 6.30pm it will be empty by 2.30am.

My vet told me to give mine a ginger biscuit at bedtime it depends how you feel about feeding human food.

I actually started saving some of their tea to give them at bedtime 50g they still get it now even though they are three but as I put them outside to sleep I don't feel quite so bad knowing they've had some food. It's also part of their routine last walk, supper, bed. Daft I know but unfortunately I am when it comes to my dogs. ::)

If you haven't been to the vet and extra food at bed time doesn't work over the weekend I'd be going to the vet on Monday I'm afraid.

Hope he's better

Jen :D

17. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Ginger biscuits?
    Interesting.
    Good for morning sickness 8)

18. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

[quote author=drjs@5 link=topic=4880.msg61027#msg61027 date=1394883857]