Nero wont pee/poo on walks

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Deano82, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Deano82

Deano82 Registered Users

Nero has never peed/pood on walks. He holds it in until we get home and then goes out the back garden where he is trained to go

Any ideas how we can get him to go pee on walks?

2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Re: Nero wont pee/poo on walks

He is still very young - he'll soon pee and poo on walks when he gets a bit older. The habit of pooing in the garden, and not on walks, is handy though. My mum used to have a "no poo, no walk" policy. Dogs had to poo where she could clean it up, and not where she had to carry a poo bag around with her.

3. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Lilly needs plenty of freedom (off lead or long lead) and several moments of circling and pulling to find exactly the right spot.
    Will go either in the garden or on a walk as long as her criteria are satisfied.
    Just wondering if a walk is too heavily "managed" whether that would hinder a perfect pee/poo opportunity. No idea really, just a thought. Not that I am suggesting you may be walking her wrong, just mulling over some internal thoughts really ;)

4. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Hattie & Charlie need much mooching and circling also to find that perfect spot but they will go in the garden and on a walk, although it would be a lot easier just in the garden as no carrying poo bags home ::)

5. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

I was told by an experienced dog owning friend that dogs don't want to alert other dogs to their presence when they're young, it's a self preservation thing. Once they're older that changes as they can look after themselves :)

6. UncleBob

UncleBob Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Harvey (5 months old) is very much the same. If we've let him off-lead then he'll happily do his business. If he is on-lead then he'll hold it until we get home (even though he is busting sometimes! ::) )

What Barbara says makes sense. We'll have to wait and see ;)

7. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Harley didn't do a wee on a walk until she was 4 months old, and a poo several weeks later! She now has no reservations, but also likes to have time to find the 'perfect' spot ;)

8. jade805

jade805 Registered Users

Amy had only just started doing her business while on her lead. I often blame her pulling on her lead because she is needing to go and sniffing about to find a spot, or her rushing to the off lead area. I have also noticed if I get too close to her before she has finished she rushes off and finishes else where.

9. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Glad to have read this...just though Benson was peculiar! It was only a few days ago he pee-ed out on a walk :)

10. Deano82

Deano82 Registered Users

Hopefully its just a puppy phase. He does sniff around a lot on walks as if he is about to go toilet but he holds it in. Glad I am not the only one having this issue