neuter or not

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by jacquelina, Aug 9, 2018.

1. jacquelina

jacquelina Registered Users

my boy is 18 weeks, thinking about neutering don't really know whether to or not, any thoughts on this?

2. Stew

Stew Registered Users

Ziggy goes to daycare 2 half days a week and they also provide a boarding service that we've used before and had a positive experience. The local authority mandate that dogs be neutered if they are older than 6 months which is rapidly approaching. I had thought about doing it once he was fully grown but if we are to continue with daycare then we'll be forced to do it much sooner like it or not.

There are a reasonable population of people here that are of the 'Don't unless you have a good reason to' which, in my limited experience, I tend to agree with.

jacquelina likes this.
  3. jacquelina

I don't like the idea of him having an op 'just because' like you say it has to be a valid reason.. thanks for reply

4. Mango

Mango Registered Users

Before I got Mango, I was sure he will be neutered, but have changed my mind, since there are no females around, or are older (it has been a few years since we lost our previous dog, and I guess I lost count of all the dogs here).
    But I might not have a choice, he is now 22 weeks and his testicals have not descended.

jacquelina likes this.
  5. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

If you do decide to have him neutered , wait until he is at least 18 months and over. I have had all my dogs neutered over the years. I wouldn't have had my last two males neutered but they had a discharge which was unpleasant around the house. They were perfectly happy and it did not appear to change them in any way. However, I have friends with dogs who are not neutered and they are perfectly civilised, the dogs that is, not he friends :D

selina27 and jacquelina like this.
  6. jacquelina

thanks I will wait a bit more to see how he is, he is still very young

selina27 likes this.
  7. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

Latest studies link early neutering with more aggression in males. If you search the forum you will various references but briefly the advice is not to neuter until full grown so at least 18months, when growth plates have closed and the dog is reaching maturity. The dog benefits from having the testosterone which is also helps their confidence in meeting other dogs.

8. SimoneB

SimoneB Registered Users

My boy is 9mths and I want to wait until he is at least a year before even thinking about it. I am really conflicted after reading the research; it is not at all as clear for boys. I had my last Lab neutered at 7mths as he already had hip and elbow dysplasia, and although I do not regret that decision I can tell you that my soft as soft boy would growl at entire males, and did develop fears such as of loud noises, as well as being unwilling to go out in the dark. All of this started when he was about 4 yrs, but still might have been linked. Yours is very young yet. It is worth looking for smaller home boarding facilities which may take unneutered males - that is what I intend to do.

9. leighxxxx

leighxxxx Registered Users

I've looked into this & before that was of the thinking I'll get him neutered, then it was I'll get him neutered at 18 months now we've decided unless there's a medical or behavioural reason to keep him entire, all of my adult dogs I've had before were older when I got them & still entire. If the day care I have in mind won't take him entire, then I just won't take him to day care as it's not something I needed I just thought it would be fun for him

Jojo83 likes this.