Neutered or not...

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Tina eley, Jul 27, 2018.

1. Tina eley

Tina eley Registered Users

We have 6 month old Deisel and 4 year old Rocky they in turn have decided to hump when we are not with them so now I can’t leave them by themselves at all. When we are out we still have. Deisel in his cage but need t do something about this before he is set free with Rocky which won’t be too long.
    So do I have one neutered or both I don’t know...or won’t it make any difference? Any help appreciated.

2. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

I don't think neutering will have much affect. Our neighbors neutered male Sammies hump as do our neutered female Labs.

Why are you so concerned about it? Other than being somewhat embarrassing, it's kind of what dogs do. You can stop them when you are around, they probably won't do it that much when you are not. Some dogs will explain that it is not acceptable to them, and yours will probably get the message, that some dogs won't put up with it, and some don't care. Our 80# 3 yr old will not let some dogs do it, but doesn't care about her Sammy friends.

3. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

An very old study published in 1976 showed that mounting was reduced in adult dogs following castration. However, increasingly, studies published since show that castration causes much worse problems. Increased risk of a range of different cancers, increased risk of joint problems, increased risk of some other types of behavioural problem. Many young dogs mount other dogs in play, and female dogs do it too, so it isn't just about sex :). Have a look at this article for more info on neutering: Neutering Your Labrador

Tina eley likes this.
  4. Tina eley

Tina eley Registered Users