NEW: An in-depth look at the pros and cons of raw feeding

Discussion in 'Raw Feeding' started by pippa@labforumHQ, Jun 8, 2015.

1. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

2. Cupcase

Cupcase Registered Users

Pippa when are you going to write the book on raw feeding?
    I switched to raw nearly five years ago. One of my problems was finding books on raw feeding. Oh I did get books but they all told a different story. In the end I tried to use common sense and hope I got it right.
    They're is so much conflicting information online.

I have the puppy handbook and perfect recall. I've found them to be easy to read and easy to follow. Which at the end of the day ,I believe that is what most pet owners are looking for.

I'm a more confident feeder of raw but I don't feel confident enough to tell anyone who asks me how to start. You feed raw and have a gift in writing books that pet dog owners can understand.

3. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I think that it's a very balanced look at the raw feeding issue, in that anyone reading the article is still left to make up their own mind at the end, and are given the information they need to do it.

I hope that, through feeling more informed, people are encouraged to give it a go. I've definitely observed all the stated benefits in my own dogs (like cleaner teeth and much more tolerable poo (by miles!!)).

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I liked the article, it was very helpful.

For me, having now thought about it for a few months, read a lot....I am not going to feed raw.

It's not a matter of convenience. I've ended up not being convinced that the benefits outweigh the risks - the two obvious benefits poo and teeth, I feel I have covered already. Charlie's teeth are great - and have been inspected endlessly as he has had so many GAs (I always get them to check his teeth) and his poo is small, firm and doesn't smell.

I think both the risks and benefits of feeding raw are uncertain and, on balance, I come down on being not willing to take those risks for very uncertain benefits.

There. I've said it. After months of feeling guilty that I don't feed raw when I should, I'm throwing off my guilt and saying my considered decision is to feed kibble because I think that's the best thing to do.

5. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Me too, Tatze is so very healthy and her poos are small and firm - her teeth gleam like I wish mine did!

My reason is lack of confidence that I'd get the balance of fat right. I know three raw fed dogs who ended up with pancreatitis - only a small sample, I know, but it has put me off. Tatze's food (skinners salmon) has no iffy ingredients according to the dog food directory. http://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/the-dog-food-directory

One thing she is missing out on is the pleasure of eating raw food, but the occasional chicken wing is even more relished as a result!

:)

6. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Fair enough. If you've got the teeth angle covered through other means then that's great. Tooth cleanliness is a huge and vastly underrated issue. While the easiest way to manage oral health is with whole bits of raw beastie, there are alternatives for the dedicated.

Just an observation about the issue of raw food having a higher bacteria content and rendering human hygiene more important.... Kibble fed dogs still lick their nether regions, lick the floor, eat poo, eat dead animals, eat rubbish...so hygiene is important with them too and maybe therefore is not such a point of difference in the kibble vs. raw analysis.

On the convenience front....we have a miniscule freezer but just buy enough meaty stuff for a week. Just the same as we do for our own food. You don't need a lot of space or planning ahead :)

Also...it's not really kibble or raw and never the twain shall meet. We feed mostly raw, but still keep (grain free) kibble on hand for convenient, low value treats and treat dispenser fillings.

7. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I started raw feeding because my mother switched her collies to raw food after one of her dogs died of cancer. She was convinced this was due to the kibble he had been fed all his life - no proof of course, it was just what she thought. At first I was horrified by her giving her dogs raw chicken and other raw food; but slowly came around to the idea. We changed Poppy over to raw food at around four months of age, and it has been a great success, although I did have the vet do a blood test after 3 months which showed I was over-feeding bones, so I adjusted the ratio of meat and vegetables to bone accordingly.

I did try to change Bones over to raw feeding, but it really didnt agree with him. He was too old to switch I think, having been fed commercial food all his life. That said, he was a happy and healthy old chap, as was my other dog Billy, and they both lived to a ripe old age on commercial dog food.

I just love raw feeding. The smell of kibble makes me feel quite ill now, although I only buy the very best I can get. I still on occasions feed a cup of kibble when I haven't got time or have forgotten to get something out of the freezer - but I do now feel that it is a lower quality of food that I am giving her, mostly for my convenience. She loves kibble, and swallows it down in seconds, quite different to the minutes it takes her to chew her way through a chicken back, or some lamb or venison ribs, or whatever else it is I have available, and she is definitely full for longer after a raw meal. I love watching her chomping and scissoring away on meaty bones, and seeing her satisfaction with her food. I have become a great shopper of supermarket 'bargains' - I buy lots of meat that is close to its use-by date and is therefore at half price, and freeze it. Tonight for instance she will be getting a whole quail (there were several on sale). Last night I grilled myself fresh sardines - and Poppy got two raw sardines for her supper, together with some grilled vegetables left over from my dinner. She eats anything with great gusto, but she particularly seemed to enjoy her fish, and I was happy knowing we had both got our omega 3 for the day!! :p I cannot imagine ever going back to feeding kibble, other than as a stop-gap, for instance on holiday.

I think everyone has to make the decision for themselves and for their particular dog, and not be swayed by over-zealous proponents of either kibble or raw feeding. Both are as good as the quality of the food you are prepared to source and pay for. Both have advantages and disadvantages. For me and my dog, the advantages of raw feeding completely outweigh those of commercial dog food. :D

8. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Yes, this is something that's always confused me. I read articles on raw feeding and the "problems" this causes with treats. I always think, why should frankfurters, tinned sardines and cheese be off limits as treats, just because you choose to feed raw over kibble at meal times?! I wonder how many raw feeders are so militant about it that they shun anything that has been anywhere near a heat source... maybe more than I appreciate.

If I had the resources, I would feed all meals as raw, but it's simply too impractical and expensive here. Still, even if I could, it wouldn't stop me using the same training treats as I do now.

9. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I use cheese and also bits of kibble as training rewards. :)

10. pippa@labforumHQ

Thanks for your kind comments :) I'd love to do a book on raw. I'm not sure there is a big enough audience to persuade my publisher, though it does seem to be growing in popularity. One day maybe...

11. pippa@labforumHQ

I'm glad you found it helpful Julie, and you definitely should NOT feel guilty about feeding your dog on kibble :)

12. Kirriegirl

Kirriegirl Registered Users

We feed Mira mainly on a high protein, grain-free kibble, but she regularly gets raw things like chicken wings, game bird carcasses, lamb ribs, fish heads etc. I quite like the idea of raw feeding, but as I frequently have to go away for a few days at a time often at short notice, I find it just more practical with kibble.
    So it is more a matter of convenience for us right now, but we are careful to ensure we are giving her the best we can and that she gets the variety and enjoyment of bones.
    If circumstances change I would consider going over to raw, but right now we are happy that she is thriving on it and has good teeth (and perfectly acceptable firm poos!)

13. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

Julie T, if you read this: what kibble do you feed?

14. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I feed Royal Canin SC21 (a single protein source of duck, and a single source of carbohydrate in the form of tapioca) I feed both kibble and the wet version (in kongs).

15. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Jane - if you are wondering about the food you feed, I'm just about to post a review of the book "dog food logic". It is well worth a read.

16. Puppypal

Puppypal Registered Users

I feed both of mine raw which they are thriving on.

There are a few reasons behind this choice but i don't think i will ever feed kibble every day ever again, but that is just my choice. They do get kibble and wet food when we are on holiday as it is easier to feed but they get good quality grain free food.

I will admit that it is not easy and it does require time to prepare the food and disinfect and clean things.

Luckily our vets are mutual to the fact that we feed raw, as they can see how happy and healthy they are. We have not had one single upset tummy since switching over and their coats are lovely and soft with no dandruff. It has also been easier to manage their weight.

I respect people's choice for what they feed their dog as each dog is different as well as each owners situation and preferences.

17. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I am sure that to feed raw correctly may well be a good thing, but I have been concerned that many people do not, for example one person know of, fed only chicken wings. I don't understand why dogs should be on a grain free diet, could anyone give a scientific explanation please?