NEW article and VIDEO of cocker puppy learning to hand touch

Discussion in 'Clicker Training' started by pippa@labforumHQ, Oct 17, 2014.

1. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Thought you might like to see my video of Finn, learning to hand target . Its at the bottom of the article.

And here is a challenge - would anyone else on the forum like to have a go at this (if you haven't already)?
    You could video yours too and post the link up here. Instructions are in the article.

It is a lovely easy way to start training with a little pup :)

2. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Re: NEW article and VIDEO of cocker puppy learning to hand touch

I've been doing this with Riley for several reasons.........

It's been a fun way to increase his focus on me.
    It's the end of a retrieve so when I offer my hand for delivery he's used to pushing his nose into it.
    It's a really useful test of whether distractions are too high for him to concentrate on more complex training. If they are then we do some work on this and other simple tasks to get his mind back into working mode.

I'm going to try it with Obi too.....I've been charging my clicker ! Will try and get a vid :)

3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

So simple but hugely useful. Charlie will follow my hand - so I can move him around without touching him if I need him to get into a position for which I don't have a cue. Eg "sit straight in front" when he approached from a side was taught by just getting him to follow my hand round so he swung out his bum to sit straight.

4. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

I had a go at this earlier before teatime with Lilly.
    Ran in to a slight problem in that this hand signal I realised when in an upright position was a "high 5" which Lilly has already been trained as a trick. It worked when my hand was horizontal, but merited a paw on my hand when vertical.
    I can see it has applications for us - Lilly's recall isn't precise (when there are no deer around of course) - she comes to my vicinity without necessarily making contact, so I thought this would be good to get her into contact with me, rather than vice versa.
    I decided I couldn't use my open palm though, so tried my closed fist.
    Not sure I quite have it as I have found I am rewarding a lick of my hand rather than a touch.
    Will try again tomorrow.

5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=drjs@5 link=topic=8321.msg118060#msg118060 date=1413672389]
    Not sure I quite have it as I have found I am rewarding a lick of my hand rather than a touch.
    [/quote]

This was a nightmare with Charlie. He views everything as something to put in his mouth. So hand targets, target stick, target cones...all to be grasped with open mouth.

Took me ages. Clicking only for closed mouth and no tongue...

He still (gently) grabs my hand on a hand target. I quite like it though... ;D

6. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

OK....no tongues..... :D