New furry chicken

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Oberon, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

We seem to have acquired a large, yellow, furry chicken that's been hanging about in our chicken coop whenever the door is open.

[​IMG]

It seems to be attracted by the presence of bird poo, for which it has an evident fondness :eek:

I'm going to have to do something to the door so actual chickens can get through but not the large, furry kind....

2. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Re: New furry chicken

That is a cool chicken coop 8)

No wonder Obi likes it in there, it's like a spa with muck treatments ;D

3. jade805

jade805 Registered Users

If that was Amy she would end up having to sleep in it! Stinky girl would love a good roll around!

4. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Lovely chicken coop! I'd live in there... ;)

5. tartanmouse

tartanmouse Registered Users

Nice chicken. Don't eat the eggs. ???

6. Oberon

[quote author=tartanmouse link=topic=2833.msg29218#msg29218 date=1381397809]
    Don't eat the eggs. [/quote]

Most certainly not. ;D

Glad y'all like the coop :) It's fairly new - the old coop was too low to stand up in and it drove me batty so I made them a new one. Took a few weekends and hubby helped with the heavy stuff and a few ideas. I'm pretty happy with the result. Pity it's not dog-proof though (for now). At least Obi is good with the birds (after lengthy desensitisation) and only wants to eat their poop, not them. There is a chicken in the coop with him in that pic, making indignant, scoldy noises - can't blame her!

7. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

I could see the chicken ha ha ha!you are an industrious girl,well done on the result...it's 5 star x

8. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Don't want to scare monger Racheal but I have developed rather a phobia of chicken poo! :eek:

We think that's how Scott and Scout got ecoli in their bladder !!!

Just before we got the pups mr fox got in with the chickens and killed all but one. The one that was left 'chicken' original name don't you think wouldn't go back in coop so was allowed to wander. It particularly like our garden and left its calling card everywhere. Pups came and discovered the delicacies of chicken muck. Then got ill. :(

We delt with the chicken! Don't worry it got a new coop and new friends.

My problem since has been pigeon muck which has made them ill twice. Not a lot I can do about that except try and clear it up first ! !

The pups would've had a much weaker immune system than obi though as they were very young.

It's just chickens yuck! ;)

9. Oberon

Jen, totally agree - I don't want him eating chook poo. It's 'orrible. Poor Scott and Scout - they really had a bad time of it. As you say, Obi's immune system is a bit more robust at this point than a puppy's and we've had no problems so far. He and the birds are all wormed every 3 months too. Still, I'll be making a little coop modification to keep him out.

Sorry that a fox got your birds :( We have foxes here too, though they are an introduced feral pest, not native. They have had a terrible impact on native wildlife. We had one investigating the duck pens one night last week - they test everything for a potential weakness they can exploit and this fox actually grabbed and opened the external drainage valve on one of the duck swimming pools and drained it.

Glad you like the coop, Angela, thankyou! I don't mind a spot of construction. I have promised to build no more coops though (we have 6 in various shapes and sizes, though two are empty as they're for baby birds and we have none just now).