New here, first time pet owner

Discussion in 'Introductions & Saying Hello' started by Aravind, Aug 6, 2020.

1. Aravind

Aravind Registered Users

Hi All,

I have been browsing the forums, reading the articles, and they have all been handy. We are picking up an 8-week lab tomorrow, and this is our first pet! It's hard to say who is more excited - my 8-year-old daughter or myself!

It's about a 2-hour drive for us to pick up the puppy from where we live in New Jersey; I wanted to check if there are any tips for me - how can I help the puppy adjust to the long drive? I'm planning to stop at least 3-4 times for potty breaks, but I am also reading about pavro, and I'm worried that rest stops may be areas of high dog traffic. Any advice?

Thanks!
    Aravind

Digs Mom likes this.
  2. Digs Mom

Digs Mom Registered Users

Welcome, can't wait to see some pupper photos !

3. Edp

Edp Registered Users

Hello and welcome. Exciting times ahead. Hope you managed the journey ok and your pup is settling in well.

4. Aravind

Aravind Registered Users

Thanks all, the journey went well, and for the last hour or so, Tenali (thats the name we've given him, its based on a 16th century Indian minister who was supposed to be very wise and very funny) actually slept on my daughters lap - both were wearing their seat belts.
    He was a bit sad on Friday evening, hardly ate anything but seems to be coming around. He has really bonded with my daughter, didnt fuss too much about being in the crate for the night and i have started recognizing his warning whines for when he wants to do his business. Only one accident so far, but he's waking me up just about every 90 minutes at this point.
    He wasnt eating much (hardly 2-3 teaspoon full of kibbles per meal) yesterday, and based on some advise on this forum, I mixed in a bit of low-sodium chicken broth - that works like Magic! Have his vet appointment on Friday with everybody backed up due to COVID. Have to find a trainer soon as well. Will post pictures soon..

5. Aravind

Aravind Registered Users

[​IMG] Posting this picture from Friday to see if I've figured out how to upload images to the forum, this is Tenali, y'all.

Christina2807 likes this.
  6. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Hi there and welcome to the forum, congratulations on your new puppy! She's beautiful. I hope your journey went well. :)