New houses for the holidays

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Maddison, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Maddison

Maddison Registered Users

We are traveling to our relatives for Christmas with Larks (almost 6 months now!). We will be staying at 2 different houses during the 5 days we are going and visiting many others. Larks has been awesome with potty training and hasn't had an accident in probably over a month, but I'm wondering if you all have any advice on making sure she knows where to go out/ how to let us know at new houses. Thank you!

2. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

Ah - this is still a problem for us. Most places we visit have dogs and kids and Quinn gets so excitable and distracted that she sometimes forgets to she needs to go. Part of the problem is that when she's excited and playing she drinks a ton of water and needs to go out more often than usual (she literally peed on the carpet at OH's brother's house 3 weeks ago and she is 1 and hadn't had an accident in months). I still constantly watch where she is in someone else's house!

To avoid accidents over the holidays I will bring her out on leash every two hours at minimum (by herself - she won't go if there is another dog or kid around) and ask her to go. Right when we arrive somewhere new, I show her the door and I give her cue to pee outside.

She also hates going out at night when it's cold and will just stand by the door - so I go with her to make sure!