New Pup on her way to us ... what are the essentials to have?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Zee, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Zee

Zee Registered Users

things on their way to us:
    crate, crate bed, chew toy, treats, training pads, collar, leash, will be buying kibbles this week...

wondering what else we need to get for the pup? she will be 8weeks next monday.

brush, nail clippers, shampoo, towel?

folkow up questions:

for brush: i saw in one of the articles recommendations for brush but im kind of confused, do i need 2 brushes (ie deshedding furminator and rake?)

for nail clippers:
    at what age do we have to cut her nails?

Thanks. more questions to follow from us for sure.

2. Zee

Zee Registered Users

following

3. LoopyLuna

LoopyLuna Registered Users

Sounds like a comprehensive list.

A few other thoughts:

- I would get in a truck load of kitchen paper (we used about a roll a day in the early weeks due to piddle puddles) so I just buy it on offer now.
    - An odour removing spray for when you're mopping up the piddle puddles - should avoid her returning to the same spot.
    - 2 or 3 Kongs (no need to get fancy fillings, just some wet kibble and pop in the freezer)
    - Fish out some old towels - the bedding we bought got shredded early on, and in the UK its been too hot for any fluffy vet bed. She just sleeps on a towel in her crate at the moment. Easy to wash every day on a high heat and absorbent too.

- and finally, SLEEP. Get LOTS of sleep before she arrives!!

Enjoy your new arrival.

Zee likes this.
  4. Mango

Mango Registered Users

You will need chew toys (plural). Some rubber, ropes, Kongs (puppy medium will do for the first month or so, Mango is now 5 months and he still has all 3 medium ones, but he destroyed puppy large when he was 3,5 months), some stuffed toys, but not soft plush, you have to find something harder. Plush toys last 15 minutes tops with my pup.

You won't be needing a bed, or reather it will not last. Just use some old towel or sheet if it gets too hot. Or a rug if you have some that will fit in his/her crate.

I bought nail clippers, used them once, we needed 12 days to get through all the nails, now I didn't use it since his nails are not that long.
    I have a Furminator and it's enough. You won't need 2.
    You might get some cleaning pads for the ears. Some puppies get their ears dirty during play.

You will also need loads of paper towels (I don't know how quick puppies get used to puppy pads, I had none and Mango was clean by the time he was 13 weeks), some stain remover, desinfection spray...things like that.

A play pen would be good for time you can't watch him (for the first two weeks you have to watch a puppy lihe a hawk), or for potty training, or just for time you are outside with him....I never used mine, now we use it at our front door, so he doesn't go out by himself, since our garden is not fenced all around.

Since is the summer, you will need something for flees and ticks, check that with your breeder or vet first.

It would also be handy to have a long leash (5, 8 or 10 metres).

And get some old shirts, pants, socks, shoes....they will be destroyed in the first few weeks. Do not wear new or favourite things around your puppy.....ever!

I hope I didn't forget anything.

Zee likes this.
  5. Remington’s Dad

Remington’s Dad Registered Users

I agree with Mango! Old clothes are a must. My favorite shorts quickly got holes in them after picking up our puppy last week.

Zee likes this.
  6. Granca

Granca Registered Users

That sounds exciting! Yes, get plenty of sleep!

Buy vetbed as bedding - you can buy a roll (online) and then cut to size, probably two or three 'beds' from one roll. It's cheaper than buying individual pieces, washes well and dries quickly, so ideal for puppies. It's also (almost) unchewable.

Make sure that you use the same kibble that the breeder is already feeding to the puppies. A change of kibble (even though some look very like others) can upset a puppy's tummy. If you do decide to change after a week or two, introduce the new food very gradually, mixed in with the original kibble.

Nail clippers: I have never cut my dogs' nails - they seem to wear them down naturally from varied exercise. Others may, though, so don't take my word for it!

Take a small fleece blanket or toy to the breeder (if you can, or ask the breeder to supply one or the other with the puppy) so that she has something that smells of her mum and the litter that you can put in her crate.

Good luck - and keep us posted!

Zee likes this.
  7. Andy Aveyard

Andy Aveyard Registered Users

A nice variety of chew toys, great for keeping those needle sharp teeth away from your fingers.
    I also agree about getting a Kong. We were given a tip for the filling, mix up chopped and cooked Chicken with Yoghurt and put it in the freezer overnight. Our puppy loves this!

Zee likes this.
  8. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Hi there, and welcome to the forum. :) A treat bag with a carabina or clip that you can attach to your belt or belt loops is very handy. I also use the little rawhide chew sticks - not to give to the puppy (bits can come off and make them vomit) but to hold in one hand during cuddles. The pup then chews on that instead of your fingers. Pop the chew out of the puppy's reach when you put them down on the ground

Zee likes this.
  9. Zee

Zee Registered Users

Thanku everyone :)