New Puppy arriving in two weeks - moving her on from IAMS puppy food

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Eightytwenty, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Eightytwenty

Eightytwenty Registered Users

She is currently on IAMS large dog puppy food, and I plan to continue with that for a few weeks. However, looking for recomendations for what to move her onto after that. Is there a particular brand you'd recomend? What are the pros/cons of different mixes?

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Re: New Puppy arriving in two weeks - moving her on from IAMS puppy food

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Food is one of those topics where everyone will offer different opinions. My general advice is to go for the best you can afford and buy conveniently. This website has comparisons of all sorts of foods and you may find it useful: www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/the-dog-food-directory

Most dried foods have a first ingredient of a filler. This is often wheat based, or maize, or rice. If your puppy is sensitive to any of these, then changing it may help. Then, some dogs are sensitive to certain amounts or types of protein, or certain amounts of fat. But most dogs are pretty bullet-proof and can eat anything. Generally, the higher percentage of filler, the more you need to feed (and the more comes out the other end!).

The other option is raw feeding. You can buy whole raw feeds (often minced and delivered frozen), or do it yourself.

3. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Everybody has a different opinion on the best food for your puppy and it really comes down to personal choice and what you can afford. My pup was raised on Husse Valp and thrived until she was spayed and then was moved on to Royal Canin Junior Large Dog Neutered, at the Vets recommendation, and she has thrived. We are currently changing from the Royal Canin To Hills Prescription Diet J/D, again at the recommendation of our vet, due to Dysplasia. It is always worth discussing with your vet and see what they recommend, but unless price is an issue or puppy isn't thriving I would stay with the Hills.

4. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Hi there and welcome to the Forum,food questions are always welcomed ( as are any questions ;D) but they always generate a very varied response....I had a few tummy issues with my boy when he was a youngster so we stuck with Royal Canin Gastro and after an ongoing ear issue towards the end of last year I changed him to RC hypoallergenic,it suits him grand so we've stayed with it.The tummy upsets scarred me so much I'm so so careful with what he eats.....he's not so conscientious though! X

5. Eightytwenty

Thanks everybody - I've just spent the last half an hour browsing older posts so can see exactly what you mean.

Snowbunny - thanks for the link - that is helpful.

Vet sells Hills so that would be a convenient starting point but will do some more reading. Feels a bit like weaning a baby - in the old days it was just jars of Heinz, and now there is an entire market place of high priced convenience as well as the do-it-yourself option. Have read up a lot about raw food, and while I get the benefits I'm not sure that it would work in our family home with 3 kids.

This will no doubt be question 1/100000000 but going to ration myself!

6. snowbunny

Are you in the UK? You'll probably find that Amazon prices are cheaper than your vet. Or try zooplus.co.uk or vetuk.co.uk, both of which have a good range of foods at reasonable prices.

7. Eightytwenty

Yes UK - thank you - hadn't considered Vet mark ups!

8. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

[quote author=snowbunny link=topic=10413.msg153403#msg153403 date=1427883489]
    Are you in the UK? You'll probably find that Amazon prices are cheaper than your vet. Or try zooplus.co.uk or vetuk.co.uk, both of which have a good range of foods at reasonable prices.
    [/quote]

There's also Viovet.co.uk that I've found really good, and I've used both zooplus and VetUk. I don't use Amazon as costs for delivery from UK are exorbitant and ordering from the French site I usually lose out on price, and have to pay for delivery more often than not.

It's worth checking on the online price and comparing with the vet prices, then it's just a question of what is easier......

9. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Hello and welcome from me and Lilly who is coming up for 5 years old.
    I feed 80:20 as the lack of fillers appealed to me.
    Happy with our current food. She went through a dry itchy phase which made me change.......along with herhip dysplasia which made me want to improve her food.
    you must be excited.
    is this your first dog or are you an old hand?

10. sunsetpines

sunsetpines Registered Users

Welcome from me and Bella in America! :)

My Bella is 7 months and she's on Hill's Ideal Balance Large Breed Puppy....my vet carries it...but Amazon is slightly cheaper and delivers to my door so I don't have to make a side trip ;) Added bonus is I can order it through Amazon smile and my favorite charity gets a few pennies too!

As other has said....a world of debate about foods and which is best...bottom line, find something you are comfortable with the ingredients, fits your budget...and that your dog does well on.

11. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Hi and welcome from me and Harley :)
    When I got Harley she had a very sensitive tummy. We tried several different foods til we found one she got on with (Bob and Lush), it is expensive though. We are in the process of changing her to a BARF diet which is easy, no prep needed etc.
    It will depend on your pup and his sensitivity to ingredients - you won't know until you try a certain food
    Good luck ;)

12. Eightytwenty

Thanks for all the suggestions.

We are absolute novices but have read the Happy Puppy Handbook and am 1/2 way through Total Recall and really like the common sense approach that Pippa advocates. Just need to start putting it into action!

13. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Welcome and enjoy your new pup!

Just to add to your range of recommendations - Pongo was on CSJ Little Champ for his first year, he loved it and it seems to be very high quality for the price. It is only available online, which is how they keep costs down, and is only really marketed through word of mouth. Have a look at www.csjk9.com

He's just moved onto the adult version (CSJ Champ) and is still thriving!

14. snowbunny

[quote author=Rosie link=topic=10413.msg156479#msg156479 date=1429008215]
    Pongo was on CSJ Little Champ for his first year
    [/quote]

Pongo has not been a Little Champ for a long time ;)

15. Eightytwenty

Haven't heard of little champ, thanks will have a look.

16. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

[quote author=snowbunny link=topic=10413.msg156481#msg156481 date=1429008702]
    [/quote]

[/quote]

That is very, very true.... ;D (He's still a tiny little puppy to me though..... awwwwwwwwww......)

17. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

[quote author=Rosie link=topic=10413.msg156491#msg156491 date=1429009323]
    [/quote]

[/quote]

That is very, very true.... ;D (He's still a tiny little puppy to me though..... awwwwwwwwww......)
    [/quote]

;D ;D ;D Benson loves his BIG bro...

18. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

[quote author=Beanwood link=topic=10413.msg156516#msg156516 date=1429020453]
    [quote author=Rosie link=topic=10413.msg156491#msg156491 date=1429009323]
    [/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

;D ;D ;D Benson loves his BIG bro...
    [/quote]

;D ;D ;D !!!