New puppy imminent

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Somatic, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Somatic

Somatic Registered Users

Hi everyone,

I am getting myself a yellow male in about 6 weeks time. Little fella is doing well with mum and I am buying from a reputable breeder. I am very excited about this. I have done extensive research into getting a puppy, and I am no stranger to labs as I had a black on growing up. This will be my first lab in about 12 years tho.

The reason I am making this post is because I have a question. I would like some suggestions on bringing puppy home. He is located about 6 hours drive from where I live. I am a bit paranoid about parvo virus. Obviously, after we have picked the little guy up we have to drive him home and he is going to need toilet at some point. What would the safest way be to let him eliminate and not run the risk of contracting some disease. He will have his 5 week vaccination, which he receives from the breeder and then obviously I have to get him another one at 10 - 12 weeks. In the interim, we cant let him in public places.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

2. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Hi there and welcome to the forum!
    Where abouts are you located? I'm assuming US because of the 6 hours??
    Our trip home was quite short, but I think others have used puppy pads or newspaper on the ground.
    I think yor pup will sleep most of the way though. And if you have a nice sturdy box with towels then I think you won't have to much of a problem.
    I am sure others will be along shortly!
    jac

3. Somatic

Somatic Registered Users

Hi, I am in Australia, located in Sydney. Gotta travel 6 hours north of Sydney to get my little man.

4. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Hi and welcome. I had a four hour drive with Juno from the breeder to home. We stopped half way to allow for a pee and drink but she was interested in the pee at all. At 10.5 weeks she had already received her first vaccination and health check from the vet for which I received all the signed documents. Being worried about parvo is normal and responsible. Could you check with your vet on the risks of infection on your homeward route so you can plan stops? You can also use puppy pads for puppy to use to prevent contact with the ground, but if puppy hasn't used them before I'm not sure how successful they would be. Make sure you have lots of towels, bin bags and water with you to clean up accidents but amazingly puppies seem to wait til they're 'home' after leaving mum and littermates before having to pee though.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2016
  5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Hello and welcome - lovely to have more people from Australia on the forum.

I had a 3 hour drive home. My puppy cried for a little bit then went to sleep and then mostly slept the whole way. I had a couple of cardboard boxes on the back seat, both lined with plastic and one with newspapers and one with fleece. I was planned to just pop him in the newspaper box if he seemed to want a pee, and have him sleep in the other. As it turned out, it wasn't necessary and it took him a little while before he had a pee when he got home.

Best of luck with it. Exciting times!

6. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Hi and welcome to the forum. I only had a 2 hour drive home with our puppy, but I took towels and newspapers and black bin bags with me. Baby wipes are useful too. Don't forget water for your little one to drink. I think I would make a phone call to your vet and ask them what would be best to do. Good luck.

7. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Hello and welcome, we had an 11 hour trip home with our puppy. Obviously she had to have several stops to pee and poop on the way; I looked for quiet areas to let her out. To be honest the thought of parvo did cross my mind but I couldn't think of any other way to deal with letting her do her business on that long journey!

8. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Hello and welcome to the forum. I had a four hour drive with Willow. Like you, I didn't want to risk putting her on the floor, so I put a bin bag in the footwell of the car, covered it with a lot of newspaper and then a towel so she could go to the toilet (or be sick) on it if necessary. It wasn't - she slept most of the way.

We had one occasion a week or so later where we had taken her out and then got stuck in traffic. She started to whine so we assumed she needed the toilet. We pulled into a quiet "road to nowhere", where we knew no dogs would be walked, so risks of disease would be minimal. We put loads of newspapers on the floor, and a puppy pad, then popped her on top, but she wouldn't go. So, we persevered with the traffic and got home about 30 minutes later, at which point, she went straight away with a look of blessed relief on her face.

Most breeders will ensure your puppy doesn't have anything to eat or drink close to the journey home, to reduce the chances of them feeling sick or needing the toilet.

You sound like a very responsible owner. This is such an exciting time - we'd love to see any pictures you may have of your little man. Does he have a name yet?

9. Somatic

Somatic Registered Users

Hi all, thanks for the replies. I got similar answers on facebook groups I asked as well. I am just gonna try and manage the risk as best I can and use random deserted areas IF we need to stop.

And as for a name, Arnie.

10. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Welcome to the forum :) My dog Obi and I live in Canberra (but were originally both New South Welshpersons).

11. Emily

Emily Registered Users

Hi and welcome from me and Ella in Melbourne. Nice to see another Aussie on here :)

12. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Hi and welcome from me and my two dogs :)

13. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Hi and welcome from me and 2.5 year old fox red girl, Harley and 1 year old foster dog lab X pointer, Tristan.

Look forwarding to seeing pics