New puppy needing overbite surgery

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Pig'n'Lab, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Pig'n'Lab

Pig'n'Lab Registered Users

Hello everyone
    It’s a long time since I posted and my special boy is 10 years young today and as much of a puppy as he was when we collected him

My daughter collected her 8 week old puppy last weekend - KC registered and all parents’ hip, elbow and eye scores are good. I visited the mum and litter and so did she , on separate visits. They were happy and paid the £950. They took the puppy to their vet yesterday and were told he has to have corrective dentistry ASAP ( day after tomorrow) to remove canines. They can’t promise his jaw will grow properly and be the right length and have said there’s a strong likelihood he’s going to have to need to have the canines removed when the adult teeth come in. They’ve obviously confirmed she can’t show or use him as a stud dog now and have said it’s very highly likely to be genetic/hereditary. We’re really scared as we’ve been told this is high risk for the puppy (anaesthetic) and are a bit shocked. We know it’s not the worst thing we could have been told but we’re gutted. We all adore this little beauty.
    Has anyone else had the same thing happen?

2. Pig'n'Lab

Pig'n'Lab Registered Users

Sorry that’s so badly written

3. Edp

Edp Registered Users

Hello, I am so sorry to hear about this little pup. I don't have experience of this exactly but I had a Newfoundland once who at the first vet check was found to have a heart defect that was hereditary. We went back to the breeder and they gave us another pup as it was life limiting for her. In hindsight I was very naïve as she was my first dog. I should have pushed for my money back and done a bit more to ensure her parents were used to breed from again. This was years ago and heart testing in Newfies was not common. I kept her though. Have they gone back to the breeder ? they could be horrified and happy to help/support, if not that does raise questions ..that maybe someone on her more experienced that I can advise how to manage. In the mean time your little pup will need some TLC and fantastic vets , which I am sure he has both. I really hope the surgery goes well. Best wishes Emma and Meg.

4. mandyb

mandyb Registered Users

I can imagine how gutted you all feel.
    I have no personal experience but have heard of this condition. I believe if left untreated there is a risk of the lower canines wearing holes in the roof of the mouth. The op on your pup shouldn't take long, a matter of minutes, the baby teeth aren't deep rooted. I'm sure he'll be fine, vets have to make you aware of all the risks.
    I would however be contacting the breeder as this should have been noticed by them, or at the very least by their vet when they were microchipped!

Good luck. Please let us know how he gets on.