New puppy owner - another lesson for me...

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by JulieT, Jul 11, 2013.

1. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

My lovely chewer…

I’ve “puppy proofed” my (previously lovely) home work space – it’s just so nice to have him with me while I work.

My wooden waste bin is on the first arm chair, the second armchair is covered in an old blanket, my silk rug is rolled up on top of the filing cabinet, the lower handles of my old fashioned desk have been removed and placed on top of the fireplace (chew temptation), the log basket is on the table, my ipad chargers are duck taped to my desk, the printer cable is up high tied to the curtain…it’s an interesting interior design look.
    So I’m Safe.

I only went to the loo – ok, then nipped in the kitchen to start the dishwasher…and the phone rang…

Lesson for me - puppies get taller! He can now reach the things on my desk…

Sigh…

Did someone say the chewing stops at around 18 months. Promise?

2. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Re: New puppy owner - another lesson for me...

I just love 'Canine Style' decorating. My friends with kids are always somewhat impressed when they come round as the house is already toddler-proof.

He will stop chewing. Promise. :)

3. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

when do they stop bursting cushions ?.........he has not chewed much........every bed i have had for him he burst........he as not got a bed now :(.....couch or floor :(

4. Oberon

Lynne, it is hard to say. If he has come to see them as big toys that it is fun to unstuff, then it may be a bit of a long-term habit.... If you keep putting the cushions out of reach when you go out then he may eventually abandon the habit completely (kind of un-learning it because he never gets to do it any more). I'd just keep the cushions out of his reach for the forseeable.

5. lynnelogan

rachel, ...what i worry about is , if the cushions are not there , he may decide to chew the settee ,......may be, i am scared to move them...just in case :)

6. Oberon

I see - sacrificial cushions :)

Dogs don't necessarily see fixed furniture as being the same as smaller, more mobile objects like cushions. He may well be totally fine with the settee. But since a settee is a lot more expensive than a cushion I can understand your hesitation! I'm also mindful of the comprehensive job Obi did of gutting our Edwardian armchair (due back from the upholsterer next week at the cost of over £1000 or $2000 Aussie dollars. Feel a bit ill typing those numbers though). In Obi's defence the fabric on the armchair was already a bit torn, revealing the stuffing in a most seductive and irresistible way.

7. lynnelogan

oh seem to remember seeing a photo of the said chair.......never had any damage to any thing only the cushions ;)

8. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

It might be the case that Lynne is right to regard the cushions as sacrificial cushions? Really, aren't we just providing something that the dog wants (or has been trained) to chew more than other things whenever we distraction them onto a kong, antler, nylabone instead of the furniture. In Jasper's case, it might be cushions...

I know Jasper is an angel compared to chewer charlie, but I'm with you Lynne - I'd carry on with the sacrificial cushion strategy!

9. Lochan

Lochan Supporting Member Forum Supporter

We have an inveterate sock snaffler in our house - Tarkie is two and a half now but her enthusiasm for them never wanes. Accordingly we have a series of old sacrificial socks (must be worn, she's not interested in clean ones....) and a common query amongst the humans in the house when she is noted with socks is "Are they The Sacrificials?". Strangers think we are members of some weird sock cult I'm sure....

10. Oberon

LOL, now that's love and dedication - re-wearing the sacrificial socks. I've lost two pairs in the last week but I ain't wearing 'em again for him. Better not let him read your post or he'll demand higher standards....

11. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

It may be a bit sad, but when I read the re-wearing of the sacrificial socks strategy, I resolved to adopt it immediately... am now reduced to anything that will save my socks...

12. Lochan

Lochan Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Heehee I personally would not wear The Sacrificials, but I've finally found some use for having two teenage boys about the house. A couple of minutes on their feet and The Sacrificials are irresistible to my sock snaffler.....could be a marketing opportunity here, selling teenage-tainted Sacrificials to the labrador-owning public, hmmm.....

13. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Now you tell me, after I've worn chew socks all day! ::)

14. spannertrucker

spannertrucker Registered Users

We have been lucky as far as chewing goes. He only chews my wife's shoes. Perhaps because I always put mine away. That will teach her. He's left the furniture completely alone.
    Good luck.
    Chris.

15. Oberon

[quote author=spannertrucker link=topic=1968.msg16477#msg16477 date=1373656599]
    We have been lucky as far as chewing goes. He only chews my wife's shoes.
    [/quote]
    This pair of sentences had me chuckling.

Lochan, there is a market out there for everything, even a Sacrificials Re-scenting Service.

16. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Feeling your pain, Julie! I have all my waste paper baskets up high on shelves due to a certain obsession with Kleenex... :)

17. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I know, what is it with the paper....on the upside, I can use a sheet of kitchen roll as a reward. An entire kitchen roll once got us through sitting in a vet's waiting room for 30mins (it was a long time, with lots of other animals, and i got a bit desperate). Although the receptionist took a dim view of the mess we left...

18. Newpuppymom

Newpuppymom Registered Users

Have you ever made your dog a sockle? If not then it may help you! LOL

buy a bottle of pop or water (well made bottle) Get one old sock. Put the bottle in the sock and tie it in a knot at the top. TA-DAH! The sockle!

Kinda loves socks! But he only gets to eat them if there is a bottle in one of them lol.

I thought this thread was for me to begin with ;D

19. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I think it's got worse recently, found a baby tooth on his chew frog this morning, so reckon we're in the middle of teething. He doesn't have any signs of pain or sore gums, no blood etc. and still manages hard sea biscuits without a care in the world (apart from whether or not there might be a second sea biscuit going spare :) ).

Had a good look in his mouth and he seems to have some whoppers of teeth coming through at the back. Nothing changing at the front yet though.

Has anyone got any links to pics, or information about what happens during teething, so I can get an idea of what's normal? He is due at the vet for his 5 month check up in 2 weeks so I can check then that's all is well, but I'd just like to know what to expect so I can look out for any problems.

20. NorfolkHomemadeMum

NorfolkHomemadeMum Registered Users

lol at the sacrificial socks! Beulah is def a chewer - she chews everything - I honestly can't ever see the day that I will be able to let her in the living room unsupervised - is that mean of me? Not bothered so much about possessions/furniture but more her safety! My boys leave a trail of destruction (clothes, toys crumbs etc.) behind them so for now she is in the kitchen. She gets lifted onto the sofa for supervised naps/cuddles once in the morning when I get back from the school run (I have to confess to falling asleep too sometimes - it's lovely when she hugs me with her paw/legs) & then in the evening for some settling down time. I feel like I am constantly taking things away from her now - I got some bitter chew spray but I saw her licking it off the kitchen door which is the latest casualty (rolls eyes). So I guess what I'm asking is, am I doing the right thing to keep her away from things I don't want her to destroy & is it a phase that will pass OR should I be exposing her to these thjings & somehow teaching her it's wrong? Hmmm no-one told me I needed a degree in canine psychology when I went to look at cute puppies!! ;)