New Puppy Parents - separation Anxiety

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by Bill R, Jul 24, 2018.

1. Bill R

Bill R Registered Users

Other Threads You May Find Helpful The Forum RecommendsTeach Your Dog To Be Alone

Hi, Just adopted a lab mix, Mom of 12 pups believed to be about 1 1/2 years old. Have her for two weeks and Smoke has total separation anxiety. Can't be out of her site for more than seconds if so cries, barks and anything to escape. Willing to work with her just not sure how to go about it. Smoke has an open crate but only used it when I first brought her home. So far she has escaped from my car push the automatic window down, dug under the gate for her run, knock curtains down looking out the window for me, jumped a pet gate and this is letting her alone for minutes to half hour. Any suggestions would be great, Thanks Bill

2. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

pippa@labforumHQ likes this.
  3. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

Hi @Bill R you need professional help to try and improve your current situation. If you are in the USA I would have a look on this website for help. Many of the accredited trainers give Skype consultations.

https://malenademartini.com/for-owners/how-we-help/
    You could also read the Malena's book yourself which would, hopefully, give you a place to start.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00JV9ZSJ4/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

If you are in the UK I would suggest contacting a member of the

www.apbc.org.uk/help/regions/

www.abtcouncil.org.uk/clinical-animal-behaviourists.html

http://capbt.org

4. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Hi Bill, and welcome :). You've been given some useful resources, I'd add that it isn't at all uncommon for an adopted adult dog to be extremely upset for the first few weeks and then to make a full recovery once the initial shock of being rehomed, and the inevitable homesickness, has worn off. Jumping out of the car and over pet gates etc is not abnormal at all in a dog that is worried she is going to lose the new human friend that is now hugely important to her. If you can keep her with you as much as possible that will help her to feel more secure. Once she has settled a little you can practice leaving her for very short periods of time (with a tasty filled Kong to chew) Does she have to be left alone much during the day at the moment?

5. Bill R

Bill R Registered Users

Hi and Thank you, Haven't got to the useful resources yet but I will. Smoke is with me 24 -7 being retired, she does listen quite well and will read all the resources with the heavy rain here in PA been tired up. thanks, Bill

6. Bill R

Bill R Registered Users

Greetings and Thanks for your suggestion but not ready for professional help till all else fails. Only have her for two weeks so far and will work on some the given suggestions and see what happens. I am old school just because you get a pain you don't run to the doctors ever time. Will keep all suggestions in mind. Thanks, Bill

7. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

Your call of course but if all else has failed it can be along, and expensive, road back with professional help. Early intervention delivers better results.