New puppy poo eating! and other things

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Rosehelen, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Rosehelen

Rosehelen Registered Users

Hi, I have a lovely chocolate lab girl called Koda who is 12 weeks on Saturday. She is good mainly going for weed and poos outside but unsupervised she has started eating her poo before we have cleared it up. I guess we have to supervise and clear it away straightaway. Just wondering if this is a common thing and why do they do it? Also she is getting savvy about lots of things and mainly I am one step ahead of her but she took some grapes today. I don't think she ate any as I caught her with them but I can't be 100% certain I have read grapes are really dangerous so can anyone reassure me. Thank you.

2. Shaz82

Shaz82 Registered Users

Grapes, currents, raisins, sultanas etc. as far as I have read are quite dangerous and can cause kidney failure in dogs. Unfortunately the vet needs to see the pup immediately to induce vomiting and it would now be too late for that. Symptoms of eating them are vomiting, diarrhoea, tummy pain, dehydration, lethargy etc. (more on google) so if you think Koda could have eaten them I would keep an eye on her. Maisy ate some currents once but showed no symptoms at all and was not affected, but if I had known what she had done at the time (we didn't realise until too late) I would have got her to the vet. So Koda may have no bother from it at all but if you are worried just get her checked out by the vet.

Can't help with the poop eating I am afraid but there is lots written about it online and on this forum.

Hope Koda is ok.

3. Plum's mum

Plum's mum Registered Users

I think they have to eat a lot of grapes for it to be of concern but best to just watch her for any signs of ill health.
    The labs I grew up with all ate grapes, especially the last lab we had, we had no idea they were supposed to be toxic, but they didn't have any ill effects.

Re the poo eating; it is very normal, many pups do it and grow out of it, some continue as adults.
    My pup did it but I was always with her in the garden so as soon as she finished and moved away, I'd scoop it up in that split second. She stopped it but I can't remember when, she hasn't done it for a long time (she's 21 months now).
    She also ate other dogs' poo and other animal poo too! She has also, mostly, grown out of this.

4. Anomaly

Anomaly Registered Users

I just googled the poop eating as Ashima has developed and affinity for other dog’s poop. Since I don’t like that I’m reworking daycare since that’s where she’s got “access” even though they clean it up quickly. She’s watching for it. I think I looked at the AKC but it is common and appears to usually stop. And yes. I would probably follow her and pick it up immediately. I do that now since I don’t want Ashmia to start on her own or my other dog’s poop.

5. Mango

Mango Registered Users

My puppy does not eat his own poop, but does eat everyone elses :confused:

My friend had a problem with her girl eating her and she was recomended to give her half of banana every day. She said it helped. It had something to do with lack of potassium

6. mom2labs

mom2labs Registered Users

We freeze banana pieces for teething, so maybe do that and it will help the eating poop too. Our puppy loves them, he doesn't eat poop.

7. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

Before we knew they were poisonous to dogs, our old Lab used to pick grapes off a vine near our house. She did not get a lot of them, and it never seemed to cause any problems. She lived to 16, so it could not have caused anything major.

8. Rosehelen

Rosehelen Registered Users

Thanks for comments. Koda is fine so if she did eat grapes no ill effects. Clearing her poo every time now. As she hasn't been out off lead yet hopefully can nip the eating her own and other dogs/animal poo in the bud. Here's hoping. Biting is an issue. I am better at distracting her but will try things suggested.

9. KirbyHawk75

KirbyHawk75 Registered Users

My 20 week puppy likes to eat my 13 year old dog's poop. I try to pick them up as soon as possible, but sometimes not possible. Anyone have any pointers to get this puppy to stop doing it?

Charley bear likes this.