new puppy questions

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by JohnL, Jun 15, 2014.

1. JohnL

JohnL Registered Users

Hello to everyone again!

I have been off piste for a while now so to speak, as I had to postpone my puppy search for a while. But then, thank God, I saw an advert for pups I liked the sound of and decided to phone up. To cut a long story short it looks like I am going to be the proud new owner of a working lab in a couple of weeks. Hurrah!

I have started to read Pippa's puppy book but I have a few nagging questions that I am hoping you guys and girls can help me with.

Firstly, what's the best and least stressful way (for the pup) to transport home after picking up? I'm thinking of buying a plastic storage box and lining it with newspaper and bringing him home in that, without the top on of course and with me sitting next to him on the back seat of the car. I would let him onto my lap for a cwtch of course but I am a little worried he might pee on me in that it might get on the seats of my kind friend's new car - which he's pretty sensitive about. It'll be maybe a three hour journey.

Secondly, what sorts of questions do I need to ask the breeder in advance of pick-up? I have thought about what type of food and quantity's he's on, do I need to provide a new lead and collar for him, what stage are his vaccinations at, will something be provided with a familiar scent on to help him to settle in, can I have your address and postcode ( :)), that sort of thing - but can you think of any other essential knowledge I might require?

Many thanks now ;)

2. teapot57

teapot57 Registered Users

Re: new puppy questions

Hi

We brought Albert home in a plastic box but it was too small for him, as he weighed 15lbs when we collected him at 8 weeks! He didn't want to stay in it so OH put him on his lap. Luckily he didn't pee at all, but bring a towel and/ or puppy pee pads (if you're going to use them) just in case. If you intend to get a crate for the car this is really the best option and why not start as you mean to go on, especially as you have a long journey home. I bought a car crate the very next day and used it every day to get him used to the car and it was the best money I ever spent on him. He's 18 weeks and still in it. You might also want to bring a few toys for the journey, plus water and a bowl.

A good breeder should tell you all about what food and how much the dog is having, in fact it would be a good idea to find out before you collect your puppy so that you can get some in! They should also provide you with all of the puppy's paperwork, pedigree, KC registration, vaccination card etc. A good breeder will give you a blanket or similar that has been in with the litter, but if not ask if you can give them something of yours beforehand to get the scent. Your pup may already have a collar on as an identification tag, but if not you will need one and a light lead to start with, to get him used to wearing one. You could ask if the pup has been put in the garden to pee yet, some breeders start this process.

Good luck with your new puppy, I'm sure you will have lots of fun.

Jan

3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

The most important questions are about the health tests for both sets of parents - you should already have hip, elbow, BVA eye test, and possibly Prcd, CNM, EIC.

Do you have those? What do the results say?

If you don't have them, call back and get them before you collect the pup (and obviously check the results are ok).

Cover your friend's back seat with something water proof, perhaps? Take loads of old towels and kitchen roll, and spare plastic bags in case of accidents.

Best of luck with it.

4. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

I brought Penny home on my lap wrapped in a blanket. She was a tiny 2.5kg though so it wasn't too much of an issue! Most puppies average about 5-6kg at 8 weeks so that might be a bit more uncomfortable!

A box like that sounds good and is fine if you're going to sit next to it and make sure the puppy stays in, you couldn't have h jumping around the car! You might find though that if you put a towel on your lap that he might just want to curl up and go to sleep. If you're worried about toileting issues the box would contain it but you'd have a very messy pup at the end of the journey. You might be better off trying to have a little stop at least once or twice on the journey (you said it was 3 hours) to give the pup chance to have a wee.

A decent breeder should advise you what the puppy has been used to eating and how often. They may also give you a bit of the food to take home to get you started. Some breeders will provide you with a peice of blanket that has the litters' smell on it but if they haven't said about it then I would ring up and ask. If they don't do it you could always take an old towel or sheet with you and rub it over the mum and other pups before you leave. Not as good as something they've been rolling around on for days but better than nothing.

If you are in the UK vaccinations are at 8 and 12 weeks of age. It's a good idea to make an appointment to see a vet for the day after you bring your puppy home. Then you can talk about vaccinations and also flea and worm treatments which he will also need. Also you can ask about microchipping for identification should he get lost (it's the law to have your dog wear an ID tag and if you're in the UK it will soon be law that all dogs are microchipped).

Some breeders will actively encourage you to keep in touch, but some aren't too bothered about it. That doesn't mean they're a bad breeder, although you will find that the excellent ones will always be interested in how the pups are getting on.

5. JohnL

JohnL Registered Users

Thanks to you three for your interest. ;)

Jan, what were the dimensions of the box you used roughly and what size crate have you started with? Also, do you happen to know if most cars can take crates? it may sound stupid but I'm a bit naive about cars - do the back seats of a normal car go down to encorporate a crate? My friend doesn't have an estate car or anything. Can you recommend a brand and supplier of puppy pads or will any old pad do - perhaps Tesco do their own do they? :)

Julie, the health tests I am happy with, thank you. I will ask to see the original certs when I get there though. Re' waterproofing the back seat... it may cause more of a problem if there is no absorption as the little fella's widdle may run onto the floor maybe? I presume puppy pads are absorbent and waterproof too?

6. Steph

Steph Registered Users

Hi john, I have a standard 'small' crate in the back of my small hatchback car. The back seats fold flat but they needed to go down for me to get the crate in. I've lost the use of them but it's worth it for having Holly safe and secure while we're driving. Towels and pads should keep your friend's car dry but if they are still concerned then you may need to look for another transport option. 3 hours is long first trip but manageable with towels, pads and a good few stops but accidents do happen.

7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=JohnL link=topic=6595.msg88519#msg88519 date=1402836953]
    Re' waterproofing the back seat... it may cause more of a problem if there is no absorption as the little fella's widdle may run onto the floor maybe? I presume puppy pads are absorbent and waterproof too?
    [/quote]

Just cover the back seats with towels (over something waterproof if you are concerned about your friends car). Puppy pads are designed to smell like something a puppy wants to wee on - so will encourage him to have a wee. So I wouldn't use them in a car (actually at all), but if you want him to wee on the pads, of course that's fine.

8. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=JohnL link=topic=6595.msg88519#msg88519 date=1402836953]
    Julie, the health tests I am happy with, thank you. I will ask to see the original certs when I get there though.
    [/quote]

That's great.

Have you been to pick out your puppy yet, or has that yet to happen? Very exciting times for you! Take some photos if you can, we love puppy pics.

9. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

Hi John

Pleased to hear you have found your pup, still going to call him Chester?

I collected Molly in my daughter's cat carrier. It was plenty large enough for an 8 week puppy. I made it cosy with towels etc and put my hand inside to stroke and reassure her. She obviously found it so stressful that she fell asleep.

Using the cat carrier there were no peeing issues, as any leakage would have been contained. I started the journey home on the back seat with her on my lap, but she was such a wriggler that it rapidly became obvious that this wouldn't be safe so I popped her into the crate for safety.

Hope it all goes well. Looking forward to the pictures.

10. JohnL

JohnL Registered Users

:D Thanks girls, for the feedback and interest.

I'm a bit undecided about what to do really. I think I'll speak to my friend about his preference as I would prefer to be on the back seat with the pup in some capacity, even if he is in a cat carrier or top open plastic box.

Mollly, thx for remembering and yes I'm going to call him Chester hopefully. I'm really excited about it and won't really believe he's going to be mine until I'm actually driving away from the breeders with him in tow.

The breeder has kindly sent me some pictures and once I have him safely home I'll upload them for all to see. Thanks again girls!

11. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Hi John!
    I had been wondering where you had got to!
    Good news on the pup - congratulations.
    We only had a 40min trip home and managed with a couple of towels and no accidents but Lilly was also a little older at almost 11 weeks.
    Good advice above, just wanted to add that you won't particularly need a collar and lead just yet.
    Just make sure your house is puppy-proofed, and the garden too, with no escape route!
    Good luck. I am excited for you :D
    x

12. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

Hi John, congratulations! You bit the bullet! My car journey will also be a long one - 5-6 hours. I am taking a crate, several towels, newspaper, kitchen paper, small dish for a drink of water, chews and toys. I will just do what I think is right, as things happen. We can't predict how it will go but just try to be prepared for all eventualities. I will be monitoring the temperature in the car too. If it's a hot day the pup could feel quite ill especially in a solid sided plastic box. I am also taking an empty large water bottle to bring some water home, so that I can slowly change from what her tummy is used to, to our rather hard water. Collar and lead as well, because you don't know what could happen (not that I want to worry you!) and if I have to have her out of the car then the collar and lead is a way of hanging on to her.
    To be honest John, the happiness of the occasion is a bit clouded with the thought of the long journey, not looking forward to the journey at all. But maybe it will be just lovely cuddles and a sleeping pup, let's hope so!

I am glad you asked the question because I will check this list the day before. Oh and I have to make the vet's appointment for the Monday; she's coming home on Saturday.
    Well, I am really happy for you! Can't wait to see little Chester. A great name by the way. When do you bring him home?

13. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Congratulations John on finding you pup!I can't help with travel advice as Dex arrived on a plane to us. ( these threads always make me a bit teary about what that day was like for him :'()
    Just a thought though if you want something easy and absorbent in the back of the car that's not a towel you can buy those potty training bed sheets that you use for toddlers......
    Hope your preps all go well,looking forward to hearing how you do x

14. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

I bought a box of 100 puppy pads from Amazon for about £23 in anticipation of many weeks of puddles

Toilet training was a breeze and I only used about 8.

Clearly the secret to toilet training is to stock up on puppy pads

15. JohnL

JohnL Registered Users

Isn't it amazing how disturbing to one's sense of calm, a large moth can be flying in uninvited at night! I'm writing this pretty tired after a long day shopping at B & Q for things for my new house and not much sleep either. At least the moth has livened me up a bit :).

Jane, hi...it's good to hear from you. I have been following your journey with interest and your pup is a doll, she really is ;) I read your list of essentials for the pick up and I wonder what toys you are taking with you. If you are going on a long journey I recommend St Christopher to you, he's the patron saint of travellers - never fails! Thanks for the comment on the plastic box - I agree it could be too hot for a warm car journey so I'm thinking crate thoughts now.

It's funny really drjs@5 but I am almost desperate to get my hands on this pup and make a real good go of it but I'm so close now and fear being a disaster so much that I just feel a bit numb today. It was easier looking forward to my first child than this!

I'm picking up Chester in about three weeks time. I said two in a previous post but I got my dates wrong :( I hope to post a lot of pics then and I'll try to keep you updated on how my preparations go, although with a house renovation ongoing and then a move with all that involves my time is going to be a bit limited I think.

My garden preparations are on hold for now I must admit. At the mo the garden is off limits but I have a small yard I can confine outside access to with a baby gate and I hope that will do the job temporarily.

16. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

Hi John, I just saw your reply.

I am taking 3 different puppy kong chews and an old t-shirt. My breeder advises against rubbing the mum down and bringing her scent with the pup; instead, the theory is to give the pup something with my scent on, in the car crate, so I become her new family quicker. Apparently, the separation is pretty traumatic (of course it is ???) and the pup is naturally looking for a new family to belong to so she can feel safe. I don't know about that but she can have my t-shirt as something soft besides the vetbed, for the journey. I have just been putting everything out ready and remembered your thread, so I was reading it to make sure I didn't forget anything. :)

I don't have a St. Christopher but I usually have a quiet word with HIM, before I embark on journeys.
    It wasn't long ago that I was saying "only 3 weeks to go" and now I am off tomorrow and home with her on Saturday; so, John, those 3 weeks seem a long time but they soon come around!
    Looking forward to seeing your lovely boy :)

17. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Oh how exciting, tomorrow is the big day! :) :)

18. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

All the best for your journey Jane :)

19. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Hope the journey goes well :) look forward to meeting Chepi ;)

20. Joy

Joy Registered Users

The Big Day at last! Best wishes for the journeys & look forward to photos.