New puppy

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Cath, Nov 13, 2015.

1. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Well our new puppy was born last Sunday (8th Nov). We will be going to see her in about 4 weeks time. It will be the first time I have had a bitch dog, so have been doing along of reading.
    We are just going through names to see which we like the best.

2. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

How exciting . What colour is she? It's si exciting choosing names. We will of course be expecting puppy photos

3. Cath

Cath Registered Users

She is a black female. I must say I am very excited :) I will take some photos of her when we go for our visit.

4. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Whoop! Whoop!

5. Cath

Cath Registered Users

My husband has had female dogs before and always called them Rita. I have always had male dogs all with different names.

6. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Exciting time ! I used to wait until I saw my pups and then a name came to mind !

7. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Sorry I am have trouble with notification, when I have received a reply to a topic.
    Some names so far Poppy and Rosie (Rosemary for remembrance) because she was born on Remembrance Sunday.. Neve (Niamh), Sarah, Abbey, the list goes on .......

8. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Such an exciting time . The time will fly by. I do like the name Poppy and also Rosie

9. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Poppy and Rosie would both be lovely. I'm sure we're all happy to make suggestions on names as well ☺

10. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Welcome to you - be sure to read the Happy Puppy Handbook, cover to cover!

I love Poppy as a name. :)

I have never named a dog! We always had rescues, then we got a puppy - who my son named (Tatze, which means 'paw') and my other two have been pre-named guide dog pups - Gypsy and Twiglet.

Even when we named our sons I didn't get my first choice (Matthew) humph humph!

11. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Well I am open to suggestions

12. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Gosh - you are brave - you may regret that! :D

13. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Well you only live once ;)

14. Karen

Karen Registered Users

DONT call her Poppy. Every second dog in the UK is called Poppy.

Call her Adelaide, or Gemma, or Arielle, or anything else really. Just not Poppy.

Which is a shame, because it's a beautiful name. Luckily for me, no-one else in Germany has a dog called Poppy. They don't even understand what it means - I have to explain it's short for Penelope, and is also the name of a beautiful red flower. (Although if your pup was born on Remembrance Sunday...)

Actually, it's a lovely name. :)

15. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

DO call her Poppy! ;)

My dog (Tatze) has an unusual name - I have to explain its origin to EVERYONE I meet!!

16. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Thanks Ladies. any more? Sorry still not receiving notification, but will check in every now and then to find out what names have appeared.

17. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

hen I thought we would be getting our puppy in 2013, we wanted a black girl, the name I had for her was Isis.Here in France dogs (and cats) born in a specific year are given names starting with a specific letter - 2013 was "I" and 2014 was "J". They skipped K so 201r became "L" I went through lists of Greek and Roman names of Goddesses for Juno's name

18. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Nothing nicer than a straightforward flower name for girl pup. :) Poppy is lovely.

19. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

We liked Maisie but they are ten a penny even when spelt different (Maizie) - Lilly was born 1st May, but a neighbour and friend had their dog called this already - confusing - so off our list!
    Lola and Lilly were our two last names to decide from.

Our son was always going to be an Andrew until he was born and he all of a sudden became a Scott (I always "joke" we named him after the paper towel dispenser in the hospital).
    Sometimes you just need to meet them first and get to know their character.

20. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Oooooooooh exciting ,I've never really thought about girls names because we were always going to have a boy.....I reckon Tess would have made an appearance though as that's what Chris's grandfather called his black labs .....Poppy is lovely because of the date she was born.
    Congratulations on your new puppy!