New puppy

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by sabri.1996, Apr 7, 2018.

1. sabri.1996

sabri.1996 Registered Users

Hello

I´m getting a new puppy and I was adviced by some people to give to the puppy deer antler for chew, I want to know if the puppy could have problems with the teeths, jaws or something by chewing something so hard.
    Sorry for my english

2. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Registered Users

3. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Hi Sabri and welcome!
    I think that deer antler is probably too hard for a small puppy's teeth. When my dog was a puppy he liked to chew:
    - his towel!
    - his kong toy (have you heard of them? they are great if you want your dog to be kept busy for while, you put food in them and the dog has to chew and play with the toy to get it out)
    - very small bones (NOT cooked) like chicken necks or small lamb ribs - even better if they were frozen. Frozen things were very good when his teeth were growing in and hurting him, the cold soothed his mouth.

By the way, your English is very good! No need to apologise :)

Lex likes this.
  4. RedRory

RedRory Registered Users

Can I perhaps jump in on this question?

We have a 9 week old pup who has been with us for a week now. We have various puppy-suitable chewables available, such as puppy kongs and the Nylabone puppy starter kit. But despite this he will almost always return to chewing on harder items, notably the wooden table and chair legs (as well as tree stumps in the garden). If we try to redirect that chewing onto any of the toys this lasts no longer than a minute or so before he is back onto the chair/table leg.

Is this a sign that he might need something harder to give him the respite/comfort he needs, or just that he is a puppy doing puppy things that we need to continue to work on? If we do need harder chew toys, does anyone have any ideas that are not deer antler, given the above advice?

Thanks

Pete

sabri.1996 likes this.
  5. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

6. sabri.1996

Rosie likes this.
  7. sabri.1996

I'm only getting the puppy in July but I already buy two kongs for him. I already think in the chivken necks but sure I will follow advice infroze them. Thank you

Rosie likes this.