New Puppy

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Gavin Roberts, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Gavin Roberts

Gavin Roberts Registered Users

hi there

Hoping for some help and advice. We picked our new lab up yesterday Ace! He’s 8 weeks. Drove him the hour home all fine, he had fun with the kids and ate his kibble no problem.

Even settled in the crate for us. Woke up for the evening toilet trips and he has the runs... it’s continue into today, but not as bad. He turned his nose up at his meal at 11 but ate it. At 2 he started throwing it back up.

I am a bit worried as this is all new, am I being over sensitive? Or should I get him off to the vets?

Thanks

2. Jo Laurens

Jo Laurens Registered Users

It's very common for puppies to have runny poops in the first week or so of going to their new homes - it can be caused by the stress of so much novelty all at once - but having such an immediate and instant reaction and having puking as well, is a bit less common. To me, it sounds like your pup has picked something up at the breeder's.

The 'correct protocol' would be to inform the breeder of this and ask the breeder if they saw any signs of the pup being unwell - and also to ask if any of the other pups in the litter have reported being unwell. Hopefully you have a nice and co-operative breeder who isn't going to get defensive if you ask them about this!

After that, with your pup, I would withhold food or perhaps give very very small amounts just so he has something to stop the hunger. As long as he is drinking and seems well in himself besides the puking and pooping, see how things for for 24 hours and if they settle down.

If they continue, my own next move would be to give Panacur 10% worming liquid at the giardia dosage for 3 days (the info is on the data sheet that comes with it). This is non-prescription, a gentle wormer, and is effective against not only worms but also giardia - which is a common cause of runny poops and pukes. You should always have Panacur 10% on hand in your first aid box!

If no improvement on the Panacur, then go to the vet. You may need a stool sample and/or ABs.