New Raw Feeders

Discussion in 'Raw Feeding' started by Christina2807, Nov 27, 2019.

1. Christina2807

Christina2807 Registered Users

So after loads of research we have order 5kgs of NI puppy raw food to start our puppy on this. She is 5 1/2 months old and started to have a reaction to her kibble.
    We had been thinking about feeding raw for some time now and decided this is the best time to change.

Rather nervous on if she will like it and how she will react to it. She does eat everything we have ever given her so hope this continues.

Anyone else feeding this to their puppies? Any hints or tips are greatly appreciated.

2. Debs

Debs Registered Users

She will love it! No need to ween off the kibble, just swap over. My pup has been on raw since 10 weeks old.

Christina2807 likes this.
  3. Christina2807

We didn't wean and just went for it and never looked back! She loves it and is so much happier now.

4. AlphaDog

AlphaDog Registered Users

Been feeding raw for over nearly 4 years. You don't need to transition. There may be a poo adjustment at first but should right itself quickly. If not, she may have an intolerance to one of your ingredients. Ours was chicken even though turkey is ok. Go figure. Just make sure you get the right combo, incl ofal, and mix it up once in a while with fish (tilapia is excellent), rabbit, duck, etc. Bone is very important for calcium and clean white teeth. We use pork necks which where I'm at is cheap. 10 days of bones for $6.

5. Christina2807

Thanks AlphaDog, we are using Natural Instinct Puppy and she is now thriving off of it. Not looked back!

Huey2019 likes this.
  6. Huey2019

Huey2019 Registered Users

Hi Christina I was just wondering if you are still happy with NI and your pup is doing well on it? I’ve been looking into feeding raw. My lab is 5 1/2 months and on Butternut Box at the moment after we have had a rough time with giardia and upset stomach trying to switch to better quality kibble than he can home on. NI is really well rated and seems v good value would be great to hear if you are still happy with it?

7. Christina2807

Hi Huey, yes we are still using it and currently transitioning her onto the adult food now she is 8 months and still thriving off of it.

The vet and everyone comments on how shiny and healthy her coat looks and very healthy.

I would not look to change anything about the food and she still loves it. The NI customer service is fantastic too and any questions the people on live chat and knowledgeable and super helpful.

Huey2019 likes this.
  8. J.D

J.D Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I switched to Nutriment 3 months ago and I am really pleased with the results.
    It is a bit of a minefield out there but I have found the Facebook group
    Raw Feeding UK to be very helpful. If you feed complete meals you still need to check the ingredients as some have a larger bone content than the 10% recommended and some no offal (also 10%) You also need to feed at least 4 different proteins.
    Give it a go!

Huey2019 likes this.
  9. Huey2019

Thank you for taking the time to reply and for the tips will have a look at the group I know I want Huey to be raw fed just need to take the plunge! As you say it is a minefield and quite overwhelming!

10. Huey2019

Great thank you :)

11. Simbabear

Simbabear Registered Users

Simba is now 6 montha-juat read you started to transition onto adult.. I get his food from able and he loves this on puppy at the moment and has some good chunks- sometimes i feed chicken thighs/wings, fresh sardines/lambs neck Natural instincts as in local pet store.
    My question is I know they need a slighty different diet as a pup but I can not see the difference in the puppy version to the adult and the puppy one is £2.00 more, not really bothered as would hate to give him the wrong quantity- he has swallowed large bits of food as he is just a gannit.
    Quite intrested when you actually started and on adult and stopped puppy

12. Christina2807

Hi Simba :)
    We started transitioning at 8 months as that is what Natural Instinct advised us. We still fed the puppy amount and didn't start to change this until she was 12/13 months old. She is now on 330g twice a day and weighs about 36kg.

I think that the puppy and the complete chicken are the same price from Natural Instinct so we didn't notice any price change as such, just had to feed her more as she was growing.

Simbabear likes this.
  13. Simbabear

Thank you- I'm feeding him quite a big amount (i think) as did the puppy calculations on the able website. The vets have said he was going to be on the bigger size of labs 36-40 kg but he's very lean and long legged.
    I currently feed him 400g am and pm with a lamb's neck/sardines at midday to get to feeding just am and pm but have stuck to this as always quite slender- full of energy and healthy.. would you say that's a ample amount?

14. 5labs

5labs Registered Users

It depends entirely on the dog itself. If his body condition is right, then you are feeding him enough. If he's a bit thin, you aren't feeding enough. If he's a bit fat, you are feeding too much.
    I have 2 adult labradors both weighing 25kg. One of them gets 1kg/day raw meat, the other gets 300g/day raw meat to maintain ideal condition. My 12 week old lab puppy gets around 600g/day.
    Feed the dog in front of you and don't get too hung up on recommended weight etc.
    I hope this helps x

Simbabear likes this.
  15. Simbabear

Yes thank you- i thought i was feeding to much although very slender, I up it when he has a growth and start looking a bit ribby and was worried to go any higher incase just to much food. On top of 800g he has a lamb's neck-carrot and treats so guess could even be nearer the 1kg sometimes more- the vets hasn't been to helpful as said gaining well but think was not enough for the first 6 weeks as on kibble and packet recommendactions were low- he's always been great with his food and always fees in front of me. Just didn't want to feed to little and cause any health problems later on.
    He's a very happy chappie and think i do what suits him than what is recommended(hopefully)
    He loves his raw and I'm very happy I changed.
    Thank again

16. Christina2807

That sounds good but as 5Labs said feed to what the dog needs. At Luna's peak she was on 1.2kg a day but now back down to 660g and this is working well for her.
    Raw is great and the dogs do thrive on it to!

Simbabear likes this.