New To This all

Discussion in 'Introductions & Saying Hello' started by Jacqueline de Best, Jul 23, 2017.

1. Jacqueline de Best

Jacqueline de Best Registered Users

Hello I have never joined this type of thing befor but feel i want every support tool possible. My name is Jacqueline and we are picking up our labrador retriever tomorrow at yvr!! Boomer is our new white lab we purchased. Never done that before ...order a puppy!!! We had a wonderfull labs in the past but its been 25 years since we had a puppy!!!!! we are excited but nervous!!!

Edited by mod team to remove any reference to breeder.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2017
  2. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Hi Jacqueline and welcome to the forum. Boomer...just love that name!:D

Jacqueline de Best likes this.
  3. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Welcome Jacqueline from Hattie 9 years and our rescue boy Charlie 6 years. I hope you have a lot of fun with Boomer, lots of exciting times ahead. Good luck with the pick up xx :)

4. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Hello from me & Coco (age 3) - love the name Boomer - good luck for tomorrow :D

5. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Welcome to you from Mags, Tatze and Mollie from Manchester UK :hi:

Tatze is my pet dog, a black Lab and she's four years old. Tatze means 'paw' in German.

Mollie is my fourth Guide Dog puppy, a black Lab who is nine months old.

6. Hollysdad

Hollysdad Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Welcome from Holly and me in Wales. I hope that you and Boomer have many happy years together.

7. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Wow, I take it you've not met Boomer before tomorrow, then?! :eek:

8. mandyb

mandyb Registered Users

Hi and welcome rom me and my two.

9. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Hi there and welcome here! I live in Alberta, are you in Canada too?

Looking forward to seeing pics of Boomer!

10. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Hi Jacqueline, how is your puppy doing?

11. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Hello from me and Lilly :hi:
    Any updates?

12. Jacqueline de Best

HELLO ALL IM just getting used to the site and where to post things..I can start here Boomer is 10 weeks old we have had him two weeks. he is a joy and a love... getting heavy to cart around. he learnt to sit and give paw in day two.. but im struggling with the rest... We are living in a camper on our acrage where our house is being built. I have no fences and just a pen where i have trained him to pee but he refuses to do number 2 .. i have let hime wander to another area where he seems to have claimed that for his pooping area. Thats ok . Im struggling with call back

13. Jacqueline de Best

YES IM in bc. We got Boomer from Alberta. im trying to upload photos..He is 10 weeks. He has been with us 2 weeks and wow!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2017
  14. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I cannot recommend strongly enough that you read Pippa's book, The Happy Puppy Handbook. It will really help with all your questions.

15. Karen

Karen Registered Users

You need to get on with the recall now while he is a tiny puppy. Use lots of delicious treats and only call him when he is running towards you - you want to build the association that coming to you means all kinds of wonderful things happen (treats, games, love).

16. Jacqueline de Best

Puppy is doing good . His nails are needing to get clipped they have grown in the 3 weeks we have had him. I will do it when i get a pair of clippers...We have an accrage and live on 270 acres with 37 lots ...not many fences so lots of wide open space... the only wilid life are deers and possums. So i need to develop a call that will get him to come back to me instantly so as to veeer him away from the deer. I dont want him to be a chaser of the multiteude of deer we have on this Island. We are not interested in the clicker method of training as we will inevitably loose or misplace or forget and i dont want be reliant on an item what would be the only source of training...does that make sense?

17. Jacqueline de Best

im working on trying to up load some photos .

18. Jacqueline de Best

I do have it . It is like my bible but sometimes little inbetween things happen...that are not in the book... ...

19. Karen

Karen Registered Users

You can have the vet clip his nails when you take him for his check up. Or you can do it yourself, but if he's your first dog and you are a bit nervous then the vet might be best.

I don't use a clicker either; it is just an event marker to show the puppy you are pleased with what he is doing. You can use a word instead, such as 'good', and always give him a little treat when you say it, so he associates the word positively.

Personally, I think the best thing for recall is a whistle. Put it around your neck first thing in the morning and keep it on all day! Decide what your recall whistle will be (such as toot-toot, or toot-toot-toot), and then every time you feed him, blow your recall whistle just before you give him his bowl, so he associates the whistle with good things!

20. Jacqueline de Best

s
    Sorry for the delay...no we only saw pics of the little guy!! he and another pup arrived in one crate. Boomer rightly named, boomed out of the crate while the other pup stayed in timid to come out.. So we were out and running from the moment we met!!!! its going on 3 weeks and he has adapted to so much, packing and moving, lots of car time which he is fine with and camping in a 5th wheel while our retirement home is being built.. ocean to run into, then realizing this is not what i was expecting and needing to be rescued...Boomer being a lab ,i know that will change very quickly... So lots of excitement ... He was sitting and giving paw day two... my brilliant child!!!

Karen likes this.