Next step on house training

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Halo, Jun 18, 2016.

1. Halo

Halo Registered Users

How do you increase the time you take out a puppy if you are always taking it out after it wakes up? Is there a point where you just don't take them out when they wake up and hope they will wait? I'm pretty confident my guy can hold it 3 hours (he's almost 14 weeks) but if I'm taking him out after every nap we will never get to 3 hours. So as they grow do you eventually just let them wake up from a nap and extend the time instead of taking them out right away? I'm sure this varies from dog to dog and the only way I will know is to try it, but I just thought I'd see how others dealt with this phase. I have been very very diligent about taking him out often but now that he is showing he can hold it longer I have been extending the time, except for naps. I'm not sure if that should apply to nap time or not. Do they eventually outgrow the need to go out every they wake up?

2. Millieboo

Millieboo Registered Users

I been distracting Millie after she wakes up and give her an apple piece or some kibble depending on the time. She loves when I throw kibble all over the floor and she gets to sniff it up. Then I took her out after a while. And if she was up for it I even trained sit and lay down, I didn't do stay since that gets her very excited and too much excitement resulted in accidents happening.

Halo likes this.
  3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Yes, they eventually grow out of needing to wee all the time. :) You know you can start to leave things a bit longer when they don't need to go when you take them out (and, obviously, still don't need to go when they come back in!).

Halo likes this.
  4. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

Our biggest time for accidents was post-napping, so we continued to take Quinn out right after waking until she was almost 6 months. They are awake longer periods as they get older and we also used the crate for 1, 2, and eventually 3 hour increments, then outside right away. She has now outgrown the need to go out so often and can go hours, even after napping at just over 6 months. Her bladder is very predictable (never thought the day would come!) and she lets us know she needs out by sitting by the door. Every puppy is different though and some reach that stage much earlier so the only way you will know is by testing it out :)

Halo likes this.