Night poo, daft question

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Edp, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Edp

Edp Registered Users

We are doing really well with most things with little Meg who is 9 weeks. However in the night she needs a poo. I get up and that is not a problem, but I think I am not waking quick enough and she has done it in her crate and is beside herself. I am going to put a baby monitor next to her tonight but does anyone have any tips on how to stop her needing a poo at night ! She does not wake for a wee. We feed at 630/12/6 and she pood at 10pm before bed, then 4am then 7am. She is on good food Eukanuba....thanks Emma.

2. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Re: Night poo, daft question

Hi Emma, I think she should still be on four smaller meals a day. Not sure what effect that would have on the night time pooing, but her little tum isn't big enough to hold enough food from three meals yet.

3. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I was just about to say the same thing Karen ;)

When Meg has a poo, is it really soft or hard? (sorry for those eating breakfast!). At 9 weeks, 3 meals are too much for their tummies

4. Edp

Edp Registered Users

Thanks Ladies. Her poo's are generally ok, the odd random soft one. Will switch to 4 and see how we go. Thank you :)

5. Fluff

Fluff Registered Users

Hi,

No advice re the pooing in the crate as our Max is only 11 weeks too.

We got him at 9 weeks though and the breeder already had him on 3 meals and we feed around the same times as you. Have been wondering about switching him back to four for a while but his poo seems fine and regular. What do people think?

6. Edp

Edp Registered Users

Hi fluff, it seems to be a mixed bag of advice regarding 3 or 4 meals at this age. I am willing to give anything a go as she was pretty upset sat night. Could I ask you are feeding Max ? If max is settled probably best to leave him in my opinion. My other dogs were fed like that at this age with no problems. Emma :)

7. Fluff

Fluff Registered Users

Max is on Skinner's Field and Trial puppy food - the food he was on before he left mum.

Poor Meg. How did she get on last night?

8. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Charlie was on 3 meals a day when he came from the breeder at 8 weeks. Since he always seemed fine on that, poo and toilet training were normal, we just kept going. Dropping lunch later and since then he has stayed on breakfast and dinner.

9. Edp

Edp Registered Users

Hi Fluff, a better night thanks. I split her tea up and I got her up at midnight she was in a sleepy state went out side wee/poo straight back to sleep. Did the same about 530 and I then I got a lie in till about 7 !! She is doing so well. She just asked to go out side for a poo. So I guess getting up before she asks in the night is the way forward for the moment. She is only little. Its crazy I have done this 4 times before with no problems but I cant remember how I did it !! Thanks for your comments Julie T and I think we just need a bit of time :)

10. Fluff

Fluff Registered Users

I do the same with Max. He doesn't cry to go out during the night either (very vocal in the morning though just before his brekkie!) but I go down to him every 3-4 hours. He's sleepy but does a big wee straight away so I know he needs it :)

I'm just hanging on to the fact that puppies won't need that night time get up as long as a child would! lol

11. Edp

Edp Registered Users

Yes Fluff, me too. Thankfully a much quicker process than children ;)

12. teapot57

teapot57 Registered Users

My pup Albert is 10 weeks. I'm feeding 4x a day, last feed at around 8.00pm. He was going to bed at around 11.00pm after a last wee and poo, and was still doing a poo & wee when I woke him at 3.00am . The last couple of nights I've extended it to 3.30-3.45 (still waking him) and he has just done a wee no poo, then back to bed until 6.00am, when he did both. Don't know if this is the end of night poo but I hope so. He hasn't soiled his crate at all yet nor have we had an accidents in the house! Good luck.