Night time puppy

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Danni&Buddy, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Danni&Buddy

Danni&Buddy Registered Users

Hi all

What time do you go to bed? Subsequently what time does you dog go to bed and what time do you both get up? Does yoor dog sleep through the night or how many times do you get up?

Many thanks

Danni

2. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

What age is your dog, Danni?

My boy Obi is nearly 4. He goes to bed between 9 and 10pm (but has been snoozing on the couch since about 8pm) and gets up when we do at 6:30am (but will stay in bed if we stay in bed). At times he does still wake us up around 2am for a pee if we have not been able to persuade him to go out for a pee before bed...

3. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Mine are 2 years old and 8 months old. We all go to bed at 10pm and rise at 7:30am, no get ups in the night - the dogs that is ;)

4. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

We go to bed around 11 and up around 8 in the morning which has been pretty much our routine since Juno was around 4 months old and stopped needing a toilet trip during the night. She spends her evening snoozing in her bed in the lounge and then has a quick trip to the garden before bed.

5. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

We go to bed anywhere between 10pm and midnight.
    Lilly is usually on her beanbag in our "family room" during the evening, but sometimes takes herself off to bed around 10-10.30.
    When I say bed, I mean she goes off to lie on our big bed - eco-friendly hot water bottle.
    Soon as she hears us making bed-time noises she is through to supervise the counting of the bedtime gravy-bones.
    She is usually nudged off the bed at lights out, but somehow makes her way back up in the early morning :cool:
    Gets up when we start to stir as that usually indicates either time for walk on a work day, or breakfast is imminent on a non-work day. Anywhere between 6.30 to 8.30 I would say.
    Happy to go back to bed after breakfast.
    Bladder of a camel. Pee might be as early as 6.30pm and a such a reluctant bedtime garden visitor that she will regularly go until 7 or 8am the next morning. :eek:

6. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Bed at ten, up at six, dogs have last pee around nine thirty pm. Spaniels definitely need to pee by six thirty am but the Labradors would happily snooze on until eight if not chucked outside. These are all mature adult dogs. I find a nine hour night is do-able for many adult dogs but puppies and seniors are a different matter. :)

7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Charlie is nearly 3 years old - last trip round the block at about 9pm (just going now...) because he won't really pee in the garden. Well, he will, but only a drop in order to get his treat. Take him round the block and he'll enthusiastically water every lamppost. :rolleyes: After his last trip out, he wants to go to bed and sulks until we do (he sleeps on our bed).

He is not an early riser. Most mornings we are up at 6am, he stays glued to the bed while we shower, dress etc. He moves when the dog walker arrives and not a moment before (between 7am and 8am). If not a work day, so no dog walker, he'll show signs of emerging from the duvet about 8.30am....

8. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

When Molly was a little pup I used to stay up as late as I could 11.30 or 12.00 to put her out for a last pee. The reasoning was that I would then get 5 and a half or six hours sleep.

Now she is an adult I sling her into the back garden when I am ready for bed. She then gets a tiny bit of digestive biscuit and settles down in her bed. She ambles out of her bed in the morning when we get up.

The early weeks and months are hard, you are sleep deprived

9. Newbie Lab Owner

Newbie Lab Owner Registered Users

Mostly Dexter dozes in the evening from about 7pm in his crate where he puts himself, if he's in the one in the lounge he'll put himself into the dining room crate about 8.30 to 9pm. We do our best to get him to have a pee but often he won't budge. My husband gets him up between 5am to 5.30am on Monday to Friday to go for a short walk before he gives him half his breakfast and leaves for work. Dexter then often sleeps in until 7 or 8am, occasionally if it's windy and noisy he'll get me up at 6am to go into his lounge crate to finish his sleep. Then he has the rest of his breakfast when I get up as I use it for first training session or in his treat and train or just in his bowl, depends on our schedule that day.
    Weekends my husband still tends to get up early and I like to leave them some 1-2-1 time, or is it that I'm not naturally an early riser :)

Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  10. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

Your title says Puppy so, first Lab, Jet, slept through the night from the get go, at 7 weeks old. Oban needed out twice a night for about a month, then once a night till by age 4.5 months he was ok to go the night. Guess which one arrived at our house Dec. 8 of one of the snowiest, coldest winters? Of course it would be Oban. Now, except for a bout with serious illness and two UTI he sleeps from about 10:00 pm to 7:00 am. It varies. One thing we are really, really lucky with, with Oban and five cats we can sleep in the odd time and no one makes a ruckus to make us get up.

11. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

bed at between 10 and 12 up at five. They young dog (2 years) sleeps through and is really good. They old boy sleeps through(14) and doesn't really want to get up. The middle dog a girl (12 1/2 won't sleep through wants to see me and will bark sometimes at night. She always has and I think always will. She is settled and calm but likes to alert me to small details like a plastic bag blowing passed and stuff. but she always wakes me when something bad happens too, like the old dog being ill and the cat dying. She will wake me at a bout 3 I check her then we go back to sleep. She never wants a wee or anything, just for me to say go back to sleep then she does.

12. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Ours both snooze throughout the evening. then from about 9pm Belle will pace and pester, pretending she needs a wee, when she really wants her supper. Eventually they go out for a wee at 10pm, have supper then we all go to bed. Belle sleeps on her own bed at the foot of ours, Coco in the other room. He comes in once or twice a night, sniffs each of us and goes back to bed. We get up at 7am during the week, and 8am at the weekend. Sometimes one or other dog will need to go out for a wee before 8am.
    Last night, Coco crept onto the bed (dogs are NOT allowed on the bed). He stayed. He was in the way. I hope to discourage him. I was too sleepy to do anything last night. Dogs!

13. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Fred (21 months old) sleeps 11 pm until 8am pre Annie. Annie (12 weeks) sleep 11.30pm until 6.45 am most morning.
    Both snooze in the evening together after having a kong each. I am up at 6am anyway in the morning so it doesn't really matter to me.