Nightime help please!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Flarma, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Flarma

Flarma Registered Users

Our 12 week old puppy is up every two hours during the night. We take her out and sometimes she doesn't even rush to pee. Is it ok to just take her out one time a night even if she is crying. Help! We're so tired!

2. FirstTimer18

FirstTimer18 Registered Users

Been there! She’s learned that when she cries = you come. Pups love company so you have a choice. You can stay with her at all times and many people have pup in their room with them in a crate which settles them as they don’t feel alone. Or, if like us you want pup to learn to sleep on their own, you do have to harden your heart a little and ignore the crying. Only when she stops can you go in to her and it can be tough going because they might keep crying for a long time. But if you give in and go to her, it reinforces to her that’s how to get your attention.
    It’s very difficult and sleep deprivation makes everything so much worse.
    We took turns to sleep next to our pup the first few nights, then we got up to let her out to toilet every 3/4 hours but if she’s just been to the toilet, left her to cry.
    It does improve eventually and there’s very detailed advice on the web pages www.thelabradorsite.com

3. Flarma

Flarma Registered Users

Thank you so much. She has had a UTI so we have had to respond but now after antibiotics I think she is much better. So the minute she whimpers we take her out. Lately she will just sit there when we take her out (at 3 am in 0 degrees!) and look at me. Then a minute later she'll go so it's not like an emergency. I think tonight we will take her out once around 3 am and hope that's ok. I think I just needed someone to give me permission to do so. Thank you again!

4. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

It must be difficult , seeing as she has had a UTI which makes them tiddle more , but yes , try letting her out once and see what happens . She is still very much a baby , albeit a very tiring one , good luck !