Nipping for attention

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by First timer, Feb 21, 2016.

1. First timer

First timer Registered Users

Hi wondering if anyone can help with this issue.
    Daisy is 14 weeks now and is a lot less bitey in general. We've had to work hard on this with distraction and redirection and the odd puppy time out.
    However her new thing is to come up to me when I'm sitting on the couch and nip my feet, or go behind the couch and jump up and nip my hair. She only does this to me (I spend the most time with her training etc). I think it's attention seeking, but I don't know how to fix it. I can't ignore it because each time it has genuinely given me a fright and I've jumped or moved. I've promptly popped her into time out but that requires getting up, collar grab and moving her = attention.
    Any ideas?
    Should mention it's quite a sharp nip too- no blood but those teeth are still razor sharp.

2. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Hello there!
    I think the usual advice is either to do the ouch! think (which it sounds like you are doing :) )
    Or do the time out.
    She is still just a baby, so lots of time to learn.

How does she manage to get behind the couch and get to your hair? Is the couch very low, or is there something she can jump on. I think if you can remove the means of her doing that, it would help.
    And wearing shoes or something sturdy on your feet to reduce the impact of the nips.

It will get better. I know what you mean about not reacting and giving her attention, but you can still do the Time Out thing with minimum interaction I think.

3. Alison Verity

Alison Verity Registered Users

Hello, Rubie my nearly 16 week old also does this. She can jump quite high and sort of out of the blue, she catches me and my OH off guard many times. I actually find relaxing of an evening quite difficult unless she is napping or chewing a toy/rawhide stick. She likes to grab hair and clothes and hang on tight. We try to ignore by standing up and if that doesn't work a loud clap of hands and no, off etc. I think she does it when she is tired, over excited or just a bit bored. Looking forward to the lighter evenings when we will not be stuck indoors so long.

4. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

I agree with Jacqui's suggestions to try and resolve. Personally I wouldn't recommend using loud claps of hand to stop behaviour as such actions can be regarded as aversive treatment. Just be consistent with the stand up and lack of interaction or distraction with a toy and a timeout if necessary. Over tired puppies are more bitey, it's much the same with over tired babies who tend to be grizzly instead.

5. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

You might want to take a look at the main labrador site regarding biting puppies....
    Biting Puppies

6. First timer

First timer Registered Users

Thanks all. Couch is in the middle of an open plan room so no way to move it.
    I'm glad no one thinks it's particularly aggressive behavior. It's given me such a fright when she's done it that it's a bit upsetting- we start to wonder if we are doing something wrong. Especially when her biting in general is reducing.
    Allison- we are like you, not relaxing in the evenings unless she is asleep and we are constantly on edge for her waking up. Looking forward to more relaxing times in the future :)