No insurance?!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by snowbunny, Aug 31, 2014.

1. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I just found out something really weird. I was at my insurance company the other day, sorting out some issues on my car policy, and asked about insurance for our new pup when it arrives. The underwriter looked at me like I had two heads. The only insurance they have for animals is third party liability. I looked around online and can't find any policies here that are anything like a regular pet insurance as we know it. On talking to friends, this is because veterinary procedures are cheaper here than in the UK, but also that people aren't generally as attached to their animals as we Brits are, so are more likely to have them destroyed if there are complications :'(

Well, I fully intend to love my pooch to the end of the earth, so I've decided to set up a fund that I pay into monthly as a 'just in case' fund. When we go to see our lovely vet once we pick the puppy up, I'll ask for rough prices for certain procedures so I can work out how much to pay in each month.

It just seems crazy to me that there's no available insurance!!

2. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Re: No insurance?!

Crazy indeed - and a business opportunity for someone!

What country are you in, snowbunny?

3. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Hi , what you propose is a really good idea , the doggy fund :) My Lab is insured as we had him from a puppy but our terrier isn't insured as she is a rescue with no history and an older dog, the premiums were astronomical . She had emergency surgery last week , I worked out that had we insured her, we would have paid out almost as much as the operation cost , so yes, a fund is a good alternative when insurance is not available or not viable .

4. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

The savings fund is definitely a good idea if you're not able to get pet insurance. It might also be a good idea to keep a credit card for vet bills only.

I got Penny insured, however for a while i was debating just having a savings account for her and put in maybe £20 or so a month. When she was 13 months old she was diagnosed with hip dysplasia - the cost of the X-rays and subsequent course of physiotherapy sessions cost A LOT more than what I would have had saved up by that time.

So what I'm saying is it's always better to have a back up plan too - the savings account is a great idea but also think about what you would do if the worst should happen and your pup has an accident or needs treatment fairly soon after you get them and you don't have enough money saved up.

5. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Someone just the other day mentioned keeping an empty credit card for emergencies too.

6. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

Might have been me again Jacqui... I know I've mentioned it recently lol it's one of my favourite things to advocate and I keep one as well as her being fully insured on a lifetime policy - can never be too careful!

7. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

I never Insure my pets. My reasons are -

1. All Insurances exist to make money, ergo, you pay extra for someone to take a profit. That is how the Commercial World works.

2. I want to be the one who makes decisions about my animals.

3 .In the early years, when health issues are relatively unlikely, you are effectively paying for treatment you don't receive. In the latter years premiums escalate because they have aged.

4. By my calculations I have always wound up better off financially by paying for my pets healthcare as necessary.

8. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

[quote author=Boogie link=topic=7584.msg105918#msg105918 date=1409467150]
    What country are you in, snowbunny?
    [/quote]

I'm in Andorra, but I've heard it's the same in Spain.

You're right, Mollly, insurance is a commercial enterprise and with everything going well, I'll save money by not using it, but it's something I would have taken up without question. Which is daft really, because I'm currently having to shout at insurance companies because someone drove into my car in July, accepted responsibility, but still they are refusing to repair all the damage. I'm not sure I'd want that kind of stress with a sick dog, too. At least you know where you are with self-funding.

I already have a credit card I could use if anything happened earlier than later, but it's a very good point.

I just need to get an idea of how much I should be saving. I've heard (but not done any research yet) that reasonable insurance policies in the UK run at about £400/yr? My vet should give me a better idea, though.