No interest in water the past 2 days.

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Rue7514, Dec 19, 2014.

1. Rue7514

Rue7514 Registered Users

So today and yesterday, I have barely been able to get Rue to drink any water, and she is normally quite the drinker. Her appetite and energy levels are perfectly fine.

While we were at the vet yesterday morning, I had expressed some concern about her stools being all over the place (a little runny one day and overly hard the next), so she gave me some special canned food for her. I gave her that for 3 meals, and she has had no interest in water since. Is it because there is quite a bit in the canned food?

I did get her to drink some chicken broth today at lunch (because I was starting to worry), and she ate a couple ice cubes. She still wouldn't drink the plain water though. Made sure the bowl was cleaned out, etc. Any input?

2. sunsetpines

sunsetpines Registered Users

Re: No interest in water the past 2 days.

sounds off to me...I'd be on the phone to the vet and see if this is expected/normal response to this food.... :-\

3. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I have two Labs, one is on half raw and half kibble, the other is kibble fed, I do add water to their food but they drink very little water, most days I throw the water in their bowl away and then put fresh in which again I throw away the next day. The new, canned food will probably contain quite a lot of water and maybe in a few days she will become more balanced and start drinking again.

4. Naya

Naya Registered Users

When Harley was eating wet food she rarely drank any water. I told the vet and they weren't worried. When she went back to dry food she started drinking water again

5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Oh, Charlie was exactly the same on wet food - I was dropping tuna flakes in water to get him to drink etc. it was just the wet food though.

6. Rue7514

Rue7514 Registered Users

Oh good, I'm so glad it's normal! Thanks, everyone.

7. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

If a dog is poorly and needs to re-hydrate a spoon of Manuka honey mixed in the water never fails to get them drinking.

But otherwise I wouldn't worry - they drink when they need to :)