No more trials

Discussion in 'Obedience' started by Emily, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Emily

Emily Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I'm thinking we might call it quits on obedience trials. I don't think we'll quit training and I do think we'll explore other sports but I just think the obedience trials might not be for us.

We've been away this weekend and Ella has been fantastic. She's walked nearly every where off lead, not drifting too far and recalling beautifully - even away from rabbits and kangaroos!

Then, when we're at dog club she bounces along by my side, heeling beautifully and so eager for the next cue. It's so much fun even the work in the practice rings.

Finally, we get to trials (even our FOOS practice sessions) and we're both stressed and she wants nothing more than to get out of the ring.

2. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Ah Emily, that’s a shame -it sounded as if you were doing really well. However I do really know how you feel having experienced the same thing and essentially having made the same decision. I do think the obedience training away from class helps build a close relationship with your dog, and I’m continuing with that, and video competition, but real-life shows are too stressful.

Ella looks athletic so I wonder if you’d both enjoy agility or flyball? Good luck whichever route you take. :)

3. Rosie

Rosie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Sounds like the right decision - all of this is meant to be for pleasure and enjoyment, isn't it? (Our and our dogs!)

I'd strongly recommend agility (especially if you can find a class that understands the "we are here for fun" concept. Pongo thought it was the best thing EVER and I think Ella would absolutely love it. (It got me fit too!)

4. Boogie

Boogie Moderator

Sounds wise to me :)

5. Emily

Emily Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I've looked at agility but I'm worried about the height of the jumps. For Ella's height, she'd be looking at 600mm jumps. Maybe I'm suffering from paranoid mum syndrome but I'm concerned that repetitive jumping at that height could cause havoc on her joints in the long run. Or am I worrying unnecessarily?

6. Karen

Karen Moderator Forum Supporter

Sounds like you've made a sensible decision for both of you regarding the obedience trials. I don't know enough about agility regarding the jumps - though I do know several very careful owners who train and compete in agility... Their dogs seems very healthy, with no joint problems.

7. selina27

selina27 Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I should you've made a wise decision for yourself and the lovely Ella, all the training you've already done must surely have laid good groundwork for another dog sport. Time for you and her to reap the rewards of your hard work and have fun:)

8. Oberon

Oberon Moderator Forum Supporter

Right call. It’s supposed to be fun. And so if it’s not fun...

Try Flyball! Maybe Ella can race against Obi one day :D

Sven, UncleBob, Karen and 1 other person like this.
  9. Jazzmynn

Jazzmynn Registered Users

Stress isn't fun for either of you...good choice!

10. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

I think agility would be fun for you guys! You would probably start jumps much lower than that when you are learning and would increase over time. My trainer only allows labs that are fit/slim and not too stocky of build in her classes, to protect joints. I think flyball seems fun, but I couldn't find anything close-ish to me, and it's very hyped up, so not sure I would have control over Quinn for a lonnnng time in that environment!

11. Naya

Naya Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Sounds like the right decision for you both. We do agility and don't do the standard height jumps as I don't want Harley going that high and my agility instructor is fine with that. We also only do it for fun. It is fun.

12. Anne123

Anne123 Registered Users

Have you thought about dog dancing....? That if you want to do something else with Ella of course! We do obedience and Finn loves it and so do I! He is an example while training. Not barking and he is doing everything so well. In 3 weeks time we have exams.....hope he stays concentrated then...

My OH is doing tracking (?) with him. Finn is doing this also very well!

selina27 likes this.