No toilet in the night

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by knees78, Sep 13, 2016.

1. knees78

knees78 Registered Users

Is it ok to let pup go all night at 9 weeks.

I put storm out at 11 last night for a wee and set alarm for 3 am.

I have no idea what happened but alarm didn't go off and when I woke at 6 she was still quiet.

She went in the Garden and did a big wee and poo at 6.

Is it ok to let her go that long? It won't hurt her?

Also I popped her blanket in with her last night and she slept so much better not a single whimper. Is this ok, worried she will chew it but seemed to offer her some comfort.

Thanks

2. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

Xena was doing 11 pm - 530 am by 8.5 weeks. I just considered myself lucky lol. I stretched it out to 9 pm - 645 am by 12 weeks. I say enjoy it and pray that it happens again tonight, then keep work on stretching it out night by night.

Edit - she was an awful widdler during the day so I like to think that her long nights were my rewards ha.

3. knees78

knees78 Registered Users

Storm is a bit of a worker throughout the day too. Thanks.

I assume if I don't set my alarm she will wake me! I'm a heavy sleeper and my husband is away.

I was going to move her into the lounge tonight but think I'll give her a couple more nights so I can hear her if necessary

4. knees78

knees78 Registered Users

Widdler*

5. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

Instead of 3 am you could set it to 5 am maybe? There is no right answer, it's just trial and error. I'm grateful that our night routine just fell into place cos I had no idea what I was doing during those early weeks.

6. knees78

knees78 Registered Users

Tell me about it. It really is like having a baby. I'm overwhelmed by my feelings to protect her and look after her.

7. Joy

Joy Registered Users

I've never set an alarm for any of my puppies and they've all slept through after the first 2 or 3 nights. I'd say get your sleep - you need it for all the daytime attention!

8. knees78

knees78 Registered Users

Thanks Joy

9. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Yes - no problem at all. Plenty of pups last all night from day 1 - just none of mine lol!

:)

10. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

Oh I'm so jealous! Stanley didn't sleep through the night until he was 17 weeks. Thought I was never gunna get a full night sleep again.

Enjoy it :)

11. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Enjoy it. Harley has always been a good sleeper, and was even better when she eventually ended up sleeping in our room. At 12 weeks she would often sleep 11pm-10am.

12. Samantha Jones

Samantha Jones Registered Users

Bailey also went all night from 8 weeks old...he started out sleeping next to us in a crate and is now on his cushion in the same place. He likes to get on our bed at around 5am but sneaks onto the bottom of the bed, then about 6am likes to work his way up the bed for cuddles. Bedtime is varied due to my job, but if I'm not working then around 11pm if not then he's usually asleep downstairs when I come home then comes up to bed with me around 2am. He usually goes out for the longest wee when he gets up with my OH and that can be anytime between 7am and 10am! Have come to the conclusion that Bailey is not a morning dog!

13. knees78

knees78 Registered Users

Yey thanks everyone I will leave her. Just need to work on stretching her out a bit in they day. If she is awake it's every 30-40 mins.

Also poos are a mystery! Never know when she is going to go and last 2 have been on the floor. Any tips greatly appreciated

14. Topi Topaz

Topi Topaz Registered Users

We brought Charlie home on Friday at 7 weeks and I went to check him at 2 am and 4 am and he was fast asleep, I didn't have the heart to wake him up. He woke up at 6:30 ready to go out for a wee. He just slept through the nights so far and I hope that we are lucky in this way. I tend to come down just before 6 am to have enough time for him before the chaos of school mornings starts, he goes out, has a play has his breakfast and goes out again before the kids come down for breakfast. By then he is back in his crate having a snooze. The tricky bit is that he needs attention or to go out just as I need to get kids out of the house, still not sure how to work out these timings. we still have few accidents in the house but generally he's been brilliant.

15. knees78

knees78 Registered Users

Wow @Topi Topaz you seem to have it even more settled than us.

I thought storm was doing great. I need to do more crate work in the day!

She happily sleep in there but I tried putting her in when we were eating. I want to get into that habit and as soon as she got bored of her Kong she started yelling. X

16. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

Body functions slow down at night for them as they do for us. There is a scientific explanation but basically most don't need to toilet at night as much. If she wants to sleep through the night it's fine and I'd let her. Our first pup slept through the night, the second needed out twice, then once, then not at all at 4.5 months.

17. Samantha Jones

Bailey has always, and still does, have a "poo routine" just before he goes - he seems to be looking for the ideal spot, getting faster and faster, then turning in ever decreasing circles, until he assumes the preferred position.

Not sure if that is a dog thing, a lab thing or a Bailey thing, but that's how we spotted when it was time! Also he never pooed straight after eating, it usually took about an hour at least before he needed to go, but he is a grazer of food rather than a hoover (unless there is something else besides kibble in his bowl!).

18. knees78

knees78 Registered Users

@Samantha Jones ive just noticed Storm doing this too and I managed to get her outside. Then she did another outside and I trod on it. My son asked me to put the chain back on his bike and distracted me and I lost the poo!

I don't think that we have a routine but she was on kibble, probiotics, chicken & rice and now slowly introducing kibble again so hopefully will settling Into a routine.

19. Samantha Jones

@knees78 sorry but that made me laugh :D and go eeeuuuu :eek: at the same time. I think its more of a habit really than routine. I have been lucky as Bailey seems to have a cast iron stomach - apart from vomiting after his first experience of eating too much rabbit poop - he seems to be able to eat anything (and I do mean anything!).

Good luck with spotting Storm's tell!