Not a Lab but ............

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by kateincornwall, Feb 14, 2013.

1. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Our new addition Poppy is coming on wonderfully well , considering her start in life . She is clean and dry in the house, has learned sit ( with the help of sausage ) understands NO and is gaining confidence . The one problem is that she barks at other dogs when she is onlead for a walk , I cant let her off yet, its too soon and also she is only day 7 post spay and only 6 months old . I think its a fear thing because she will wag her tail but bark and jump backwards if another dog looks at her, she adores Sam amd has no fear of him at all . What I`m tending to do is to take Sam for his usual long walk alone in the morning, come home and take Poppy around the village on her own to try and desensitise her , she has no fear of cars, tractors or loud noises, it seems to be the worry of someone or something hurting her which is understandable . I dont want to raise her stress levels even higher by forcing her into multi dog situations or tell her off either but am at a loss as to the best way of dealing with it, maybe just baby steps with her, take our time ?

2. David

David Registered Users

Re: Not a Lab but ............

I think you are probably correct that it's a fear thing. I understand that dogs can view being on a lead as being trapped when they meet another dog so the flight response is denied them and all they have left is an aggression.

I don't know how to deal with it though. Maybe setting up on-lead dog meetings with friends starting with the other dog passing in sight but at a distance then closing the gap over time with distraction rewards to divert any barking from Poppy before it starts as the other dog passes, then lots of praise.

She sounds as though she is doing really well everywhere else. What a lucky dog!

3. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Kate, I believe it's a fear based reaction too, Charlie sometimes has an issue when meeting other dogs on lead also. Every opportunity I get I allow Charlie to meet and greet friendly dogs, treat, praise and move on quickly and I will build it up to a longer greeting, so hopefully this will reduce in time. Also we must not forget that even non rescue dogs behave in this way too.

Just a thought, but maybe taking Poppy out on short walks around the village with Sam might give her a bit more confidence as she has bonded with him and looks to him for guidance.

She is doing brilliantly and not even a week yet. I agree with David what a lucky girl she is! Helen xx

4. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

I definitely don't have the experience to offer anything but support :)

Just a thought but are there any dogs of friends you can engineer very gentle introductions to and reward her for being quiet?

We meet quite a few terrorists out and about and a large proportion of them are very noisy on their leads and I'm sure most of them don't have Poppyseed background. It sounds like she's doing wonderfully well :D

5. kateincornwall

Thanks for the imput . I think I made a mistake taking her out and about on her own because Sam is like a massive comfort blanket for her :) I walked a local bridal path with them both this morning , Sam off lead and her on lead ( sheep in the field over the hedge ::) ) Sam stayed fairly close in and she was much much better , and when we hit the village , she wasnt showing any signs of worry at all , so for now it will be Sam on his own for his long run and then the two of them together for a little walk around, meeting and greeting :)

6. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Kate can you believe it I got something right ;D ;D ;D Hurray, yippee, whoo hoo etc. etc ;D ;D

In all serious now, that's brilliant news and long may it continue with Poppy and her lovely comfort blanket! :D Helen xx

7. kateincornwall

:) :) Yes, you did get it right Helen , bless you for being so excited :) :)
    I do believe that sometimes, it take someone outside the box to see whats going on inside it :) :)

8. David

David Registered Users

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON!

8)

9. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Kate, I have calmed down now, excitement has passed :D It's so nice to be able to help rather than ALWAYS being helped. I learn so much on this
    forum :D

David you are too cool 8) 8) Helen x

10. kateincornwall

Just had to share this . Someone suggested that I link a lead from Poppy to Sam ;D ;D ;D
    Given the size difference and weight too , one just under 4 kilos, the other one 35 kilos , just the thought of this made me laugh out loud , can you imagine them in the woods ? Sam going one way round a tree and Poppy going the other ;D

11. David

David Registered Users

Brings up an hilarious picture of Lab going like the wind and JR flapping like a streamer behind! :D

12. kateincornwall

[quote author=David link=topic=1198.msg7575#msg7575 date=1360937510]
    Brings up an hilarious picture of Lab going like the wind and JR flapping like a streamer behind! :D
    [/quote]

Sure does :) :) i`ve been giggling away , imagination running riot, as usual :)

13. charlie

charlie Registered Users

;D ;D ;D ;D made me chuckle ;D ;D ;D ;D x

14. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

;D ;D ;D ;D
    I needed a good laugh - thanks guys!

jac

15. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

I went with a visual of Poppy wrestling down the lead towards Sam a la James Bond clinging to a ladder on the outside of a plane/helicopter/ski lift and then riding on Sams back to safety :D