Nylabone bones?

Discussion in 'Products and supplies for puppies' started by Jane Martin, Oct 11, 2014.

1. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

Does anyone recommend them? I don't know if I should give them a go as they aren't edible (talking about puppy ones). If not, any ideas for a teething 6 month old?

2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Re: Nylabone bones?

I don't feed them - if you look closely at the ingredients, you will see some are edible and some are plastic. I do not want my dog eating plastic. And regardless, I think they are too hard to be safe for teeth - that does depend, I think, on what kind of "chewer" you have - mine is determined and views hard surfaces as a challenge.

3. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Tatze has always loved them and we have a wide selection.

http://tinyurl.com/lpnzzhw This is their favourite :)

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Jane Martin link=topic=8220.msg116174#msg116174 date=1413056082]
    If not, any ideas for a teething 6 month old?
    [/quote]

Pizzles, frozen kongs, a small amount of good quality rawhide, and anco roots if she is sensible with them.

5. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

I have two nylabones for Penny and she very rarely, if ever, chews on them so they were a bit of a waste of money really. The only one she actually ate was the biscuit-type one that came in a puppy pack of 3 different ones. I think you can buy that one on its own though.

She also has an antler chew which she's never touched (damned expensive too!) but pizzles are a big hit! My local pet shop sells a pack of small ones which I get occasionally but when I went to Crufts I bought her a couple of 8inch ones and one of those lasted her about an hour!'

6. Julie1962

Julie1962 Registered Users

We use them. They have them in their crates when we go out, I am not sure how much plastic you imagine they will eat because they are tough and as soon as the ends get very rough we replace them, they don't eat the plastic from what we have seen over the years.

7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Julie1962 link=topic=8220.msg116962#msg116962 date=1413366614]
    I am not sure how much plastic you imagine they will eat because they are tough
    [/quote]

This very much depends on the dog - there are normal dogs, and then there are "power chewers". The answer to how much of a plastic nylabone my dog will eat is: "all of it". Once he starts on it, he doesn't give up until he has eaten it.

8. Julie1962

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=8220.msg117045#msg117045 date=1413386456]
    [quote author=Julie1962 link=topic=8220.msg116962#msg116962 date=1413366614]
    I am not sure how much plastic you imagine they will eat because they are tough
    [/quote]

This very much depends on the dog - there are normal dogs, and then there are "power chewers". The answer to how much of a plastic nylabone my dog will eat is: "all of it". Once he starts on it, he doesn't give up until he has eaten it.
    [/quote]

Blimey I have had dogs eat beds and plant pots never had one manage to eat a nylabone !

9. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Simba chews on his on and off. So I would say he enjoys them but is not obsessed with them.

10. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Mine love them - especially the giant ones, they occasionally get bits off them but only tiny bits.

:)

11. Nicmorris

Nicmorris Registered Users

I bought Nellie 2 of the nylabones, a white original flavour one and a brown chicken flavoured one. I'm ashamed to say I have no idea how much of the bone is made up of plastic! :-[
    She didn't really take any notice until a few weeks ago when she started to chew on the brown one so I left it in her crate one morning and when I got home half of it had disappeared :eek: so it promptly went it the bin!
    I have bought her a couple of stag antlers which she adores and has gnawed 2 of them down to a very small size at least a third of thier original size. I guess I have a strong chewer!
    I am a little worried about the impact it may have on her teeth but it has definitely deterred her from chewing anything else!

12. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Harley chews on her nylabone occasionally. She won't eat plastic.....she spits it out all over the place :)
    She also has an antler and bull horn and really enjoys chewing on these :)

13. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I would never give Poppy a plastic bone to chew on. It just seems so illogical to me...

14. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Karen link=topic=8220.msg117114#msg117114 date=1413403001]
    I would never give Poppy a plastic bone to chew on. It just seems so illogical to me...
    [/quote]

"Nylon and Thermoplastic Polymer" - I'm with you...

15. Julie1962

When they want to chew, and mine like a good chew, I would rather they had a nylabone than antler, I have seen too many damaged teeth from antlers to want them having them. Also nothing natural lasts like a nylabone I have found. Mine are obviously gentle chewers all they do is rough up the ends.
    I don't like raw hide etc again seen too many problems including a near choking incident so wouldn't feel safe leaving them alone with one.
    I have never seen more than a tiny bit of nylabone removed by any of my dogs no bigger than a piece of rice which passes through them. As soon as that happens though it's time for a new one. Cracks etc can appear too and again they need a new one.

It's also important to chose the right one for your dog, they come in all shapes sizes and strengths. Betty Chihuahua only has a puppy one but Elsie needs the biggest toughest one.

16. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=8220.msg117116#msg117116 date=1413403700]
    [/quote]

"Nylon and Thermoplastic Polymer" - I'm with you...
    [/quote]
    I have to agree too.
    I bought the puppy pack like a lot of people probably because of good marketing.
    Lilly too just ate the biscuit one and ignored tbe plastic ones as a puppy. When she was around 2 I spotted her out in the garden. She had complety destroyed the white one over about half an hour. It was in bits.
    She is not and really never was a "recreational" chewer.
    I chucked the brown one out after this. :-\

17. Debs

Debs Registered Users

Yep, Maisie was not interested in the Nylabones either. I bought the puppy pack and she ate the biscuit one, but wasn't interested in the others. I also bought the giant puppy bone at great expense in the hope it would keep her occupied in the wee small hours - nope - she wasn't interested in it!

18. charlie

charlie Registered Users

[/quote]

I definitely wouldn't buy one. I would have thought even small pieces of plastic ingested could be harmful especially to a puppy x

19. lemmys mum

lemmys mum Registered Users

Can't say I get them as Lemmy seems to prefer something with a pay off to chew so he has pizzles or bullwinkys as we call them trip strips ( stinky but he would sell his soul for them) pigs ears trotters and regulate his food so bones Kong's frozen etc can be given while he's chewy.

20. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

Thanks everyone. I bought the puppy pack but have always chickened out. I will find the edible one and let her have that. She is a chewer and will chew plastic so maybe I will chuck the other 2.