Nylabone bones?

Discussion in 'Products and supplies for puppies' started by Jane Martin, Oct 11, 2014.

1. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Re: Nylabone bones?

I disagree - the tiny bits simply 'pass through' :)

2. Julie1962

Julie1962 Registered Users

[quote author=lemmys mum link=topic=8220.msg117176#msg117176 date=1413446900]
    Can't say I get them as Lemmy seems to prefer something with a pay off to chew so he has pizzles or bullwinkys as we call them trip strips ( stinky but he would sell his soul for them) pigs ears trotters and regulate his food so bones Kong's frozen etc can be given while he's chewy.
    [/quote]

See I won't give thing like that due to choking hazard they cause. We had a terrible time with a pigs ear a few years ago nearly lost a terrier, if my neighbour hadn't been a nurse I think he would have died that day.

Nylabones have never given me any worries and I can happily leave them with them in their crates while I go out for a couple of hours.

3. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I think pizzles are excellent chews - low fat, tooth-safe (not too hard), they tend not to get chunks off as they are kind of fibrous and they are relatively long lasting and (apparently) very tasty.

4. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

[quote author=Lisa link=topic=8220.msg117090#msg117090 date=1413396698]
    Simba chews on his on and off. So I would say he enjoys them but is not obsessed with them.
    [/quote]
    Same here ,he was keener when he was younger.but if he got really going I swapped it away from him as he was a strong chewer and I feared for his teeth.Now they are his inside toy of choice that he brings to us for a play.He has ingested some of them over time but it's been really gradual....his tummy used to be so sensitive I only really had kongs as an alternative .so yes,he has eaten plastic ::) ( I know,I know how great is that for his tummy? :eek:) but it saved us from him ever getting started on the house or furniture.
    I was always a fan of ice cubes too for him to crunch,he loved that x

5. Julie1962

[quote author=Oberon link=topic=8220.msg117711#msg117711 date=1413581142]
    I think pizzles are excellent chews - low fat, tooth-safe (not too hard), they tend not to get chunks off as they are kind of fibrous and they are relatively long lasting and (apparently) very tasty.
    [/quote]

Still not something I would leave them alone with, I think we all do what we find is safest for our dogs probably no right or wrong to the question as all dogs and situations are different and unique. We can only give our opinions on what works for us.

6. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Of course the risks vary from dog to dog. I wouldn't leave Charlie with a nylabone, I can't think of anything worse, since he would eat the whole thing.

I don't leave Charlie with anything but original kongs and kong goodie bones, I see no point in taking any risks when kongs do an excellent job.

7. Julie1962

I find the kongs excellent too but not so safe as the nylabone Elsie managed to get the narrow end (top)off hers which luckily went straight through her but could have been dangerous I thought.

8. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

O yes, you must be right, yes, let's all feed nylabone! ;D ;D ;D

Ok, I am joking - just thought the thread needed to "lighten up" a bit before we all get too entrenched in the benefits or not of plastic bones. ;D ;D ;D

9. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

My dogs don't even like Nylabones ;D Have never had a pup/dog yet who would even look at them :)

10. Julie1962

[quote author=Stacia link=topic=8220.msg117805#msg117805 date=1413621836]
    My dogs don't even like Nylabones ;D Have never had a pup/dog yet who would even look at them :)
    [/quote]
    If you do want to use them and I am not saying anyone has to or should, we wipe them all over with peanut butter or fish oil and they get the hang of them very quickly, after first few times they just love chewing them and no inducement needed. I have to say they have saved an awful lot of our furniture over the years as we offer a nylabone when we catch them chewing something we prefer they didn't - remote control being a favourite with them all LOL

11. Boogie

[quote author=Julie1962 link=topic=8220.msg117811#msg117811 date=1413622693]

If you do want to use them and I am not saying anyone has to or should, we wipe them all over with peanut butter or fish oil and they get the hang of them very quickly, after first few times they just love chewing them and no inducement needed.
    [/quote]

Yes - once they get a bit 'rough' the dogs love them. Of course they would be a no no with a chomper like Charlie :) Mine have one in their beds, so if they wake before me they have a chew. Neither ever shouts for me in the morning and I have Nylabones to thank for that!

Here is Tatze enjoying Gypsy's new teething bone!

[​IMG]

12. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Ive used nylabones the largest I can find and antlers and stopped using both because my dogs managed to get large chunks off both. The nylabone was the very big bone shaped ones and it seemed to have layers of plastic which once they'd chewed the surface came off in a chunk.

I now give them Anco roots. Small bits come off but at least if anything of any size was to come off and be swallowed it would soften if not digest. Also as the dog chews the root softens slightly so not as hard on the teeth.

They are expensive but not much more than an antler and they last a lot longer. I got new ones recently the first ones lasted 7 months ! It works out at about £2 a month. I think you need a keen chewer for them to find the root interesting but my two love them. ;D

13. lemmys mum

lemmys mum Registered Users

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=8220.msg117795#msg117795 date=1413620569]
    Of course the risks vary from dog to dog. I wouldn't leave Charlie with a nylabone, I can't think of anything worse, since he would eat the whole thing.

I don't leave Charlie with anything but original kongs and kong goodie bones, I see no point in taking any risks when kongs do an excellent job.
    [/quote]

I agree Kong's are gift from Gods as far as I'm concerned don't know how I managed in the old days before them. Lemmy has discovererd a passion for sardines in his plugged with a bit of cheese his eyes go really wide and he squeeeks at me till jumps in his bed and gives paw like a mad thing bless him def his fave.

14. Boogie

[quote author=Jen link=topic=8220.msg117918#msg117918 date=1413641146]

I now give them Anco roots. Small bits come off but at least if anything of any size was to come off and be swallowed it would soften if not digest. Also as the dog chews the root softens slightly so not as hard on the teeth.

[/quote]

I have an anco root - neither of them will touch it :(

15. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I spent a small fortune on Anco roots - as Charlie went wild for them. That was the problem - he started a "hurl the Anco root at the furniture" game. It was too much. :(

16. Karen

Karen Registered Users

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=8220.msg117975#msg117975 date=1413654569]
    I spent a small fortune on Anco roots - as Charlie went wild for them. That was the problem - he started a "hurl the Anco root at the furniture" game. It was too much. :(
    [/quote]

Oh Charlie..... ;D ;D

17. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=8220.msg117975#msg117975 date=1413654569]
    [/quote]
    I'm with Karen :D
    Charlie is a unique and delightful handful of a dog - love him!

18. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

We had nylabones but they ended up with lots of sharp burrs and I was worried they'd catch rileys mouth and gums. I have some puppy one for teething but don't anticipate using them beyond that. I buy rawhide and it lasts riley a while but I foresee some competition for the rawhide ::)

19. debsie

debsie Registered Users

I bought my two the Nylabones with jerky through the middle, Durabones I think.....oh joy and bliss after a hard day at work with me needing some chill time at night. I stab the ends with a knife so they can smell the jerky, and Peace Descends...they both spit out the nylabone bits rather than eat then, which surprised me re Brods as he eats anything, but they love these.

20. Julie1962

[quote author=bbrown link=topic=8220.msg118169#msg118169 date=1413712828]
    We had nylabones but they ended up with lots of sharp burrs and I was worried they'd catch rileys mouth and gums. I have some puppy one for teething but don't anticipate using them beyond that. I buy rawhide and it lasts riley a while but I foresee some competition for the rawhide ::)
    [/quote]

The burrs are to help clean their teeth, along with raw carrots they keep our dogs teeth nice and clean.