Off food in favour of treats!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Veela, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Veela

Veela Registered Users

Another question. We feed Ruby Hills Science Plan puppy food which is a dry food and have been very happy with it - Ruby is healthy and happy and only stinks when she's had a lot of training treats. We don't really want to change to wet food due to the breath and flatulence whiffs and won't be able to do a raw food diet, but I've noticed Ruby doesn't seem particularly interested in her food the past week or two which I find amazing considering she's a lab! She seems to come running at the rustle of any packet though in the hope she'll get a training treat. I've been using Wagg training treats which I break in half so they're tiny. I've tried some healthier treats too although I'm ashamed to admit, not much in the way of fresh stuff. She does get bits of apple or carrot but not as rewards. I think it would be a shame to take her off the Hills as she's clearly doing well health-wise. I take an amount off her ration when she's had a lot of training and her weight is good

2. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Re: Off food in favour of treats!

My dog is like that too :)

He'll always wait til we've eaten on the off-chance of some toast crust before he eats his own breakfast. I don't worry about it any more and just leave his food down til he wants it.

Some people pick their dogs food up after 10 minutes or so and if I had a good do-er I would take that approach but I struggle to keep weight on Riley so I just let him eat when he wants to.

3. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

I'm a bit of a meanie, I have always used kibble from her daily allowance as training treats, that way I don't have to worry about over feeding her.

I usually have a small cube of cheese in my pouch in case I REALLY need to get her attention.

4. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

I'd mix her Waggs training treats with kibble, so she gets some of each. You may be able to use mostly kibble for training, just using the treats for new skills or when you make things harder.

5. Veela

Veela Registered Users

That's what I've been doing today. She seems interested in the kibble if it's a reward but not when it's plonked in a dish.