off food while teething?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by loverlab, Jan 1, 2014.

1. loverlab

loverlab Registered Users

noticed yesterday willow has lost her first tooth and over last few days she has not been interested in her food. do they go off their food when teething?

fine in herself, more chewing, chewing her toys all the time

2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Re: off food while teething?

I don't know, generally, it seems plausible they would if it hurts a bit. Mine didn't, but just had a tad more trouble with very hard biscuits. Mind, I don't think Charlie would go off his food before the world ended... ::)

3. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Harley didn't go off her food ;D the only thing I noticed was that she was chewing on her toys/bones etc more than usual. If she's fine in herself I wouldn't worry too much x

4. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

Penny didn't go of her food, the only sign we had that she was teething was blood on her chew toys.

It does make sense for a pup to not want to eat, especially if they're on dry food. Try adding a bit of hot water to the biscuits and leave them to soak for five minutes before feeding, this will soften the biscs and also make them more smelly and appealing.
    Try giving frozen treats eg. Carrots or ice cubes. For Penny we tied a towel in a knot, soaked it with water and froze it - she loved chewing and sucking on it and the cold will help ease painful gums.

5. Lisa4

Lisa4 Registered Users

Can I just ask roughly what age a puppy will lose their first teeth and when they will be teething? Sorry to high jack your thread

6. NNorris13

NNorris13 Registered Users

When Dexter starting losing his teeth, I noticed (and worried immediately!) that a couple of meals I had to encourage him to eat his food. We put a little water with his kibble to soften it :)

[quote author=Lisa4 link=topic=3849.msg44043#msg44043 date=1388618947]
    Can I just ask roughly what age a puppy will lose their first teeth and when they will be teething? Sorry to high jack your thread
    [/quote]

If I remember correctly, I'm sure Dexter was about four months? Those things came out fast! He's seven months now and has lost his baby teeth, just adult ones coming through :)

7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Charlie started losing baby teeth around 5 months. Most adult teeth were through the gums by 7 months, but didn't seem to stop growing until 8 months.

8. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

We noticed Penny losing teeth at about 4-5 months but apparently some of them can be lost as early as 12 weeks! Mostly you won't notice as the teeth can be swallowed if lost while eating or fall out playing in the garden or park.