Off his food

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Mrmurphy33, May 5, 2017.

1. Mrmurphy33

Mrmurphy33 Registered Users

hiya people murphy is 5 and half months on monday and last 3 days hes hardly eating his food however if i put a bit of gravy on it he seems to enjoy it, he was until few days ago a very good eater in fact he ate a little too quick for my liking, has anyone got any advice??

2. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Is your pup drinking OK? Any lethargy or change in behaviour?
    Did anything happen differently a few days ago, walking to a new place etc?
    I would, just to be on the safe side take him to the vet for a quick check up.

3. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Has it come from a large bag of kibble? Sometimes near the end of the bag it becomes a bit mouldy and can put them off eating it. My girl was very fussy when she was younger (partly to do with a very sensitive tummy) and she would eat a few meals of one brand if kibble, then would refuse to eat it. She done this numerous times until I changed her away from kibble.
    Do you leave his bowl down or do you leave it down for 10 mins or so then puck it up? I would pick it up after 10 mins and not give him anything else u til his meal later. If he's hungry he will eat (unless the kibble is stale).
    Hope this helps a bit!

4. Anne123

Anne123 Registered Users

All the above what is mentioned. Is there a possibility of teething....?

5. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

If he is still off his food, a trip to the vet (or at least a phone call) is advisable, as not eating in a symptom of not being well. However, another thought is, he may not be having such a growing phase and thus needs less food.

6. Mrmurphy33

Mrmurphy33 Registered Users

Thanks everyone for replies, he is back on his food now, and back to his notmal self i opened a new bag of food and he ate strait away mustve been summat wrong with the end of old bag

SwampDonkey likes this.
  7. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

That's good news and a good lesson for us all - it may not be the dog, it may be the food!

Stacia likes this.
  8. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

I had this happen with Cooper.....I poured the large bag into a plastic bin......you can put the bag INTO the bin but not the kibble directly into plastic.....kibble and plastic don't mix! Food can also go stale....can be a bad bag.Glad Murphy is back eating!