Off lead after a month on lead

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Elsie, Nov 22, 2017.

1. Elsie

Elsie Registered Users

My 8 1/2 month puppy is now entering her first week in heat and I am keeping her strictly on a lead for exercise (and avoiding parks etc). I followed Pippa’s advice and she has had off lead times since a young puppy and has generally stayed close to me when off lead in the park. I worry that after 4 weeks with no off lead, she will run away once it is reintroduced. Has this happened to anyone? And is there anything I can do to avoid this?

2. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

Hi @Elsie, I wouldn't worry, if she was used to stopping close to you at such a young age my own feeling is that she won't forget that. Cassie had lead only exercise during her first heat and was just the same after.
    They sometimes test the recall boundaries anyway as they get older, but I doubt it would be connected with lead only exercise for a few weeks.

3. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I would be thinking of it as a brilliant opportunity to be able to reinforce, reinforce, reinforce that being with you is a Good Thing. Try not to become bored yourself, engage her in games as you walk and that will keep her thinking that you're the best thing since sliced bread, so why would she want to run away, with or without a lead? :)

selina27 likes this.
  4. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

I truly don't think she will run away , especially if, as suggested , you practice recall in a fun way at home . My girl was spayed not long after we rescued her , and she went off lead as soon as she was able , she is also deaf so an added potential problem, but it wasn't !

5. Elsie

Elsie Registered Users

Thank you for the reassurances and helpful advice.

selina27 likes this.