Off lead on a road???

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by bbrown, Dec 10, 2013.

1. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

So today I took Riley out for a gentle turn. It's a short walk up the road and then onto the lane. There are a couple of acres next to a field that the farmer leaves and it popular with dog walkers in general and we've used it a lot for training. It's perfect for an on the mend pup to have a gentle scratch and sniff.

As we walked up today there was a loose terrier in front of us on the pavement and I wondered if it had got out. Then I realised it's owner was behind us. It was a complete pain as it passed us backwards and forwards many times on the way up to the lane which wasn't ideal for my 'gentle' heel walk after a few days confinement :eek: but that's not their problem.

However after the dog had peed on several gardens and had a poo in another(albeit picked up by the owner) and then proceeded to cross the road as it pleased I did wonder about the owner.....did he have no consideration for other people's gardens? Does he not care if his dog gets run over? I was completely staggered but far too tired to get into a discussion about it. It's niggling at me though and I wish I'd said something :-\

I'm sure some dogs have road sense but Riley has none. I would never trust him off lead on a road. Would you trust your dog?

2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Re: Off lead on a road???

I see this a lot in Cornwall in a quieter town, not so much in London - I guess it depends on the dog. Definitely would never allow Charlie off lead on a road.

Having said that, a friend I know rides and takes her two dogs with her off lead, of course. She rides down lanes - not busy but still the occasional car and tractor - to get to the places she wants to ride, but if she gives the command "side" her dogs push themselves up close to the hedge. I must ask her how she got them to do that. She says she knows she is taking risks, but thinks the pleasure of the dogs coming riding with her outweighs them.

3. bbrown

Where we live is quiet as a lot of the roads have been blocked off but there's still plenty of traffic and it's learner driver central. I would consider it proper roads and significantly busier than country lanes although the visibility is better than a lane.

I would feel horrendous if I hit someone's dog with my car :(

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=bbrown link=topic=3609.msg40373#msg40373 date=1386669181]
    I would feel horrendous if I hit someone's dog with my car :(
    [/quote]

I did, once, years ago. I wasn't going very fast but the dog bounced in the air - luckily, it was shaken and very bruised but basically ok. It had jumped out of its owner's car on her driveway, and legged it straight out onto the road in front of me. I felt awful, even though all I could do was slam on the brakes, which I managed pretty quickly.

5. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Sadly I see a lot of off lead dogs with their owners around here , not something I would want to do . Sam is pretty obedient but I know without a shadow of a doubt that if he saw one of his friends over the other side of the road he would go , same for Millie if she spotted a cat ::)
    We are in a very quiet cul de sac but even so , when getting the dogs in or out of the car, they are onlead until we get in to safety .
    Ar Golitha Falls , the car park is over the lane from the entrance to the woods and river , every day we see people park up, let their dogs out to run over the lane , have also seen some very near misses, its not worth the risk :(

6. debsie

debsie Registered Users

I see it HEAPS in Edinburgh...in a CITY! I just can't understand it, why take the risk next to busy busy roads where there is a lot going on? I couldn't let my two off lead near a road, I understand a lot of dogs are more ploddy and calm than my two, but what if they got a fright (or yes saw a ball in Cuillli's case and a cat in Brod's case!) and just bolted over the road? I have to watch Cuillin near roads even on her lead on dark nights, she's a bit jumpy in the dark and if she gets a fright at something she'll suddenly leap backwards/sidewards so my two are both walked on my offside away from traffic just in case....

7. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

In Edinburgh?? Crikey...

I would never, ever, ever let my dog off lead near a road.

8. Lochan

Lochan Supporting Member Forum Supporter

The vast majority of road accident victims we see at work the owners comment "He has never run over the road before". Trusting your dog is one of the biggest killers.....

9. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

i would never trust jasper,.....why people do it is beyond me :)

10. ClareJ

ClareJ Registered Users

My dogs are always on lead for a road. No matter how quiet it is. Where we are at the moment is a very quiet little estate, and there are two women there who walk their dogs - both Labs - off lead. They remain close-ish to their owners, but just as Barbara described, the dogs cross garden boundaries at whim, are following their own noses more than their owners... and who is to say what would happen if a cat or a delivery driver suddenly appeared? I worry that an off-lead dog might caught a driver to instinctively swerve, causing an accident for someone else. Or what about the little child riding a bike who happens to be scared of dogs? I know some people are comfortable leaving their dogs off-leash on the pavement, and I know there are some dogs that are absolute models of good behaviour - but it is not a risk that I would feel comfortable to take.
    Clare

11. Missy33

Missy33 Registered Users

Never. Never never never! I live in a quiet cul de sac but we don't have our own drives, so its over the green or round the path to get in the car. So yes, he's off lead there, but he's not near the road. Anywhere else he's on the lead until we're clear of the road and he's eager to run towards the park/river whatever and away from the car park. I see people not using leads in the car park where I walk and maybe on the way back the dog is plodding, but many are bouncing on the way in. Its irresponsible as a quick hook up to a lead for a few minutes would save lots of guilt for the poor person that hits the dog and lots of pain for the dog.

12. Jen

Jen Registered Users

We have the same thing around here.

It's always amazed me how these people can take such a risk with their dogs. Dogs are dogs and they might be very well trained but it only takes a second for something to happen a rabbit, cat, dog on the other side of the road. :(

I expect you are all aware that the 1986(I think) road traffic act says it is an offence to walk a dog off lead on a designated highway. In Lancashire a designated highway is a road with a speed limit greater than 30 mph.

I know this because my cousin, a solicitor, looked it all up (we knew about the road traffic act) after he was verbally abused when he asked a man to put his alsation on a lead down our lane because it was going over to Ralph who is not good with other dogs.

My cousin told him about the act. The man responded by saying he needs to get his facts about the law straight. Not the best thing to say to a solicitor. He went home and immediately did so just to make sure he was right. ::)

So next time you are being bothered by a dog off lead you can quote the 1986 road traffic act. ;D

13. Christoph W

Christoph W Registered Users

I would never ever let Odin off lead on a road. Even if he get's the most obediant, steadiest and well behaved dog that ever walked the surface of the earth one day(as if that would ever happen ;D ;D ). A little distraction on the other side of the road could end in a nightmare.

14. TeamGSP

TeamGSP Registered Users

It's just not worth the risk.

I lost a lead whilst out working one day and had to walk my dog along a road on the way home.

I held him by the next the whole way, gently of course, but just in case.

15. charlie

charlie Registered Users

When my eldest son was living in London and I visited, all dogs we saw were off lead except for a Weimeraner. We were walking along a street when a man came towards us with a Staffie puppy about 6 months old off lead, the pup saw an adult Staffie on the other side of the road, shot off inbetween parked cars both sides into the road, adult Staffie shot off so now two dogs running away from their owners who were closely followed yelling for their dogs. Just so very dangerous. I can never ever imagine why anyone would want to take the chance.

16. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

All your stories have made me shudder,shudder.....never,ever will Dexter walk along the road off lead....not because it's illegal ANYWHERE ,never mind the road bit ,because it's blummin dangerous.
    We see a springer spaniel twice a day....it's always off lead,not on heel but not far away from its owner,it's a grumpy pooch and it tortures Dexter that it gives him such a wide berth...he's dying to play with him.ive watched the owner...there is no verbal communication between then ,just the odd whistle ( mouth made not 'whistle' made) as they approach a road and the dog looks round and moves a bit closer ....one day when Dexter can be trusted to stay in a sit for the full conversation I'm going to ask him how he manages it......owners a bit grumpy too to be honest!

17. Reuben

Reuben Registered Users

Guy up my road with a lovely yellow lab. It is never on its lead. To fair it does seem to be road aware, ignores other animals, listens to his commands ... but I couldn't ever do it. When I see this, it seems a bit arrogant and ostentatious to me. I wonder how much these people genuinely care about their dogs.

Also, In car parks where there are walking trails or beaches : I always see owners letting their dogs off way ahead of the trail gates, they're literally running inbetween parked and reversing cars ! Gives me the creeps, not something I would ever let happen on purpose.

I have wondered if I'm OTT but reading these posts made me feel better.

18. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

[quote author=Lochan link=topic=3609.msg40385#msg40385 date=1386672921]
    The vast majority of road accident victims we see at work the owners comment "He has never run over the road before". Trusting your dog is one of the biggest killers.....
    [/quote]

Our first dog training class consisted of 15 mins exactly expounding this mantra.
    With lots of examples as all you other guys have added.
    Also brought up the issue of extendible leads which can be just as dangerous if you don't have your eye on the ball. I do use the latter on my dark road walks. Know a car is coming far in advance. Plenty of time to reel in and get a nice sit. And shine my head lamp onto both my fluorescent vest and lilly's fluorescent collar.
    A friend walks his mini schnauzer on the same road off lead. Mind you he comes when called ::) but still couldn't ever contemplate doing it myself.

19. bbrown

Oh Jac I'm so glad someone else uses a flexi occasionally. Mine definitely has its place and time but I cant understand people who leave it extended when cars are about.....do they not understand how little control they have. Ah well 6am here and the little one is awake so up and at em :D

20. Alice

Alice Registered Users

Must agree with all. To get to many of our walks we have to go along quiet lanes; most times we don't meet even one car but there are occasions when we meet traffic sometimes coming very fast. I also use an extendable lead (tape variety) along these lanes and find it really useful. Several friends with dogs think I am over cautious.
    Alice