off lead walks...

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by JulieT, Sep 9, 2013.

1. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

One person walks, with no fetches…

Charlie’s walks have been quite managed up to now – he gets fetches, plays football, finds tennis balls, “find her/him” hide and seek, does a couple of very short training sessions, gets a run at heel with OH, is tempted in for a swim (and refuses but usually paddles), then he does his recall practice by running back and forwards between me and OH as we get closer and closer to distractions, walk in random directions etc. All this adds up to him being pretty entertained and engaged by us, and he sticks close to us.

But I’m on my own right now…and can’t play fetch…getting very boring…

What do you let your dogs do on off lead walks? How far from you are they allowed to go? Do you let them approach other dogs and people or not?

2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Re: off lead walks...

Sam often does go some way from me in the woods but never out of sight , he comes running if he cant see me immediately he looks, one whistle and he shows up . Millie stays pretty close to me and will panic big style if she goes more than 10 yards from me .
    Most of our walks involve throwing balls or dummies, but if not, Sam tends to just potter about sniffing here and there, mainly looking for something for me to throw, so I guess retrieiving is on his brain 100% of the time we`re out

3. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

I only let Lilly off in safe places (I know them well) and she rootles around sniffing for wildlife and will go off after anything that moves. She introduces herself to all the dogs we pass and usually has a bit of a play whilst us owners have a brief chat then move on.
    This works well and is a lot more pleasant than it sounds!!
    She is constantly looking back to check I am still following her....until she catches a scent ::)

Only in really safe places.
    With mainly other dog walkers.
    I would have to be really secure she was safe and could do no harm to let her off anywhere else (rare).

Still working on that recall........

4. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

You'll probably get quite a lot of different answers to this one ;D

Riley needs an element of management on his walks to stop him seeking out trouble. He probably never gets more than 10m from me. If he's not looking sometimes I hide or run away from him (crazy dog lady coming to the fore ;D ) I ask Riley to walk to heel as we approach other dogs, once he's done that he's allowed to greet other dogs. It also allows me to pop him on his lead if needs be(the other dog is on-lead or it's owner is wearing white trousers or whatever ;) ) If I'm doing some heelwork I get lots of yummy treats and go zig-zagging all over the field changing speed and direction a LOT. Charlie will be so focused keeping up with the roast chicken he won't have time to look round.

Also it doesn't do your dog any harm to have a safe, dull walk every now and then. Sometimes when Lizzie was smaller and had kept me awake a lot Riley used to get walked on his lead as we all needed to get out of the house and I couldn't be doing with him making his own entertainment.

Sorry I've lost track - why no fetch?

5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=bbrown link=topic=2501.msg24917#msg24917 date=1378730169]
    [/quote]

Steadyness training (which is boring...but I hope very worth it)

6. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I ask Riley to walk to heel as we approach other dogs, once he's done that he's allowed to greet other dogs. It also allows me to pop him on his lead if needs be(the other dog is on-lead or it's owner is wearing white trousers or whatever ;) )
    [/quote]

I need to do that, I've been asking Charlie to sit and then release - but other dog owners often avoid us, thinking I don't want their dog to approach us, deep in training!

7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

He probably never gets more than 10m from me. If he's not looking sometimes I hide or run away from him (crazy dog lady coming to the fore ;D )
    [/quote]

How do you enforce the limit? Mine is currently about 20m, I recall Charlie when he gets too far - do this a couple of times, then he stays close (5m) for a while. Do you just rely on the random walk to enforce it?

8. bbrown

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=2501.msg24920#msg24920 date=1378731310]
    He probably never gets more than 10m from me. If he's not looking sometimes I hide or run away from him (crazy dog lady coming to the fore ;D )
    [/quote]

How do you enforce the limit? Mine is currently about 20m, I recall Charlie when he gets too far - do this a couple of times, then he stays close (5m) for a while. Do you just rely on the random walk to enforce it?
    [/quote]

Yup a bit of randomness and a bit of recall. He doesn't stray much further than this naturally any more (grand old age of 2 1/2)

9. bbrown

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=2501.msg24918#msg24918 date=1378730717]
    [/quote]

Steadyness training (which is boring...but I hope very worth it)
    [/quote]

If you're asking him to be steady could you do a memory retrieve or two?

10. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

That's a good idea. I could try...I've never done one, as one of us has just hidden something when Charlie is not looking...I could ask the trainer tomorrow.

11. bbrown

I would have thought memory retrieves or a hunting exercise like that wouldn't damage your steadiness work but I'm only a beginner so best to check ;D

12. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I will check, but it's a good idea - we've got a perfect long meadow handy just up the road too...

13. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Charlie only got a short walk this morning, so we got to have a little late afternoon stroll too.

We went up on the cliffs to a new field with lots of new smells for Charlie to explore. It was so beautiful, brilliant sunshine, cooling breeze, sea view, meadow sloping down to a little beach.

We stood at the top, trying to make sure we remenber it for when we've only got Wimbledon Common to play on.

Charlie: "I know you've got the rabbit skin ball, throw it, throw it"
    "No, we're doing this this steady sit thing, you are not allowed to chase stuff"
    "I'll sit and wait, I will, I will, I will"
    "No, you won't"
    "Throw it anyway, go on, go on, go on..."

Weeeee....brill game of fetch...we had the BEST time...

Back on the wagon tomorrow....I'll confess all to the gundog trainer....addicted to fetch.

14. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Well, you confessed to US, maybe you don't have to confess to HIM.... ;)

15. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Oooo, Lisa, that's tempting, very tempting...maybe, just this once...I could forget to mention it...

16. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Julie I love your posts they are always so happy, you enjoy Charlie so much and that always comes through in your posts. Helen x :)

17. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I think I've had the best summer of my life...here in Cornwall, fantastic weather, with my fast growing up pup ;D

Real life is calling, we've got only days left now...

Always next year.. :)

18. charlie

charlie Registered Users

So glad you have had such a great time. It sounds like the coast could be calling ;) Helen x

19. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Dont worry, there'll be fun in London too (and you can always escape to the countryside at the weekends). :)