Off the lead!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by LoraChu, Feb 27, 2015.

1. LoraChu

LoraChu Registered Users

Oh my Goodness I have been so nervous about letting Alfie off of his lead on walks! But at the same time utterly 100% certain that I wanted to. He has been going on walkies for 7 days now, the time limit I set myself to prove that he was confident while out and about and generally still my happy little man, and honestly he had naturally taken to it like a fish takes to water!

We do have these strange moments near the start where he just freezes and pauses, looking up at me and refusing to move. Usually I just lean down and rub his ears a little and he soon trots after me more happily. Very strange, but doesn't seem like too big of a deal?

Anway! After a week of walking on his extra long retractable lead, playing with other dogs and getting more confident, I took him out with my mum for company and we let him off. I made sure not to let any of my worries show, spoke to him happily and honestly he was a little angel! He trotted along with us, went haring off to fetch sticks we threw and was generally a very happy little pup! Since then one of his three walks a day has involved him coming off of his lead. We have had some spells where he has run a LONG way away from us, but he has come back every time after three or four calls of his name, received lots of praise and a piece of kibble as a treat.

It is so nice to see him happy and running around like a little loon! So much waggy tail and the most gigantic floppy ears!

I am currently a very happy puppy mummy and I am glad I didn't let my concerns about his behaviour get in the way. It has taught me that I can and definitely should trust him, because he is a loyal little lad, and it is so nice to see him happy and starting to play with other dogs more easily.

2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Re: Off the lead!

That's lovely to read , I think that the sooner pups are allowed off lead, the better as long as its a safe environment . I would advise that you practice recall both on walks and at home , use high value treats as you need to make yourself far more interesting than anything else in the world, so use tiny bits of cooked sausage , chicken or cheese , but only tiny pieces :) Always make sure that when he is running towards you, you give your recall command so that he will quickly understand that being recalled means coming back to you and of course, masses of fuss , well done so far :)

3. sunsetpines

sunsetpines Registered Users

ditto what Kate said...practice that recall lots both in and outside...and do it randomly too...recalling from another room or around a corner....or when involved in something else (play, kong, and eventually even from a snooze)....it all works to strengthen the recall when you are out and about. the more you practice, the stronger it gets!

glad you are both learning to enjoy your off lead time. 8) 8) 8)

4. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Watching them off lead is the best thing ever :)
    Could you practice recall between you and your mum when out and call him between you rewarding every time he comes to one of you?

5. Leanangle

Leanangle Registered Users

Well done for taking the plunge, I know how nerveous that can make a new Puppy owner. Concentrate on the recall & it will pay of hansomely.

That is untill he hits 6 - 7 months & turns into a teenager & completely forgets everything he learnt (remind anyone of any perticular dog?) ::)

Yes Bouncer I am looking at you :mad:

Well done Alfie.

6. Karen

Karen Registered Users

That's great, well done!!! I know it's scary, but you need to make use of this quite short window of time when he will quite naturally follow you, to set good patterns for later.

Nothing better than the sight of a puppy running to you, ears flapping, at the sound of his name! :)

7. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Yay! Well done!
    [quote author=Karen link=topic=10032.msg146498#msg146498 date=1425111050]
    Nothing better than the sight of a puppy running to you, ears flapping, at the sound of his name! :)
    [/quote]
    ;D

8. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

Yes, well done indeed.

9. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Fab!

[/quote]

Although the sight of a teenage puppy running towards you has the extra appeal of being mixed with deep relief, I found... ;D ;D ;D

10. Leanangle

Leanangle Registered Users

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=10032.msg146534#msg146534 date=1425116741]
    Fab!

[/quote]

Although the sight of a teenage puppy running towards you has the extra appeal of being mixed with deep relief, I found... ;D ;D ;D
    [/quote]

haha +1

11. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

I have to admit I was a nervous wreck at the thought of Juno being off lead and not coming back when called, largely due to experiences with our last dog an Italian Spinone who was very intelligent, had a repertoire of tricks but no recall from the age of puberty! My dog trainer gave me the confidence that she would not roam far from me during our first training lesson in the garden which is not 100% secure with gaps in hedges and a drive that is open to the road. That actually sounds worse than it is in the French countryside but it has meant that my little girl doesn't go out in the garden alone. We have also taken part in weekly walks with her, when not on light exercise, and other dogs where to calm our nerves on recall and Juno's location it was suggested that we put a bell on Juno's collar. Magic as we can now hear her when she's behind us but more importantly if we can't hear her we can have a quick look to see what she's trying to eat!

12. LoraChu

LoraChu Registered Users

That's great, well done!!! I know it's scary, but you need to make use of this quite short window of time when he will quite naturally follow you, to set good patterns for later.

[/quote]
    Karen this is just what we decided! Better to do it while he is a little on the clingy side, and gosh you are so right! It is such a wonderful thing to see him come running back! It makes me smile every single time!

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=10032.msg146534#msg146534 date=1425116741]
    Fab!

[/quote]
    I have this to look forward to! The last time I had a teenage dog I was still less than 10, so I have no recolection of the time! I am SURE I am going to have my hands very, very full!

[quote author=Naya link=topic=10032.msg146486#msg146486 date=1425110310]
    Watching them off lead is the best thing ever :)
    Could you practice recall between you and your mum when out and call him between you rewarding every time he comes to one of you?
    [/quote]

It really is wonderful to see them. And yes! That is a very, very good idea. Maybe take some high reward chicken treats over to the field with us. That could be very good. It seems so daft not to have thought of that. Then again, I suppose that is why we have forums like this, hmm? c:

Thanks everyone for your comments! The support on this forum is just wonderful!