Off to the vet again....trying to stay positive...

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Meg13, Jun 19, 2014.

1. Meg13

Meg13 Registered Users

We are off to the vet again with Haley...yesterday when I came home at lunch she had a big yellow blob in the corner of each of her eyes. I carefully wiped them away and hoped they wouldn't return. When I got home from work they were back, and about 10 minutes after wiping them away they started to return. When I pulled down her eyelids they were very red. She didn't seem too bothered by them...eating and playing normally. I know yellow or green blobs are not good so I called the vet and the quickest time they could get us in is this evening. This morning there were small yellow blobs but it looked like her eyes were streaming a little. she seemed a little more agitated by them, blinking more often. We went on our walk as usual which went well, but when we got back she didn't have as much energy as she usually does. she usually runs around the living room at lightning speed, this morning I had to coax her to go after her ball which she did, but at a slow trot.

Also over the weekend she developed a rash on her belly. I have been treating it with hydrogen peroxide in the morning and a thin layer of sudocrem in the evening, and it seems to be getting much better...but it is just another thing to add to the ever growing list of common puppy problems that Haley has had.

I know puppy immune systems aren't as strong as older dogs, and I did expect to have an issue or two....but we have only had her for a month and a half and we have already been to the vet 6 times. I have paid the same amount in vet bills as I did to buy Haley! Of course I will always take her to the vet when necessary, but it is really starting to hurt the wallet...so much money in such a short amount of time.
    She seems to have gotten every common puppy issue that she could possibly get! one after another after another. I have friends who have and have had dogs and all of them say they have never had so many issues.

I am trying to stay positive, I am very glad that all of her issues have been minor and easy to treat...I just worry that the next time she is going to get something worse...possibly life threatening.

2. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Re: Off to the vet again....trying to stay positive...

Stay strong :)

I thought Riley's endless, minor issues (which didn't feel minor at the time :eek: ) would never end and everyone seemed to have healthier dogs than mine too. Constantly upset stomach, something embedded in his eyelid, itchy skin and that's just what I can remember. He's pretty robust now though and I'm sure Haley will be too :)

Let us know how you get on at the vets.

3. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

Oh you have been having a rough time of it haven't you! I think you've just been really unlucky more than anything else.

If the eyes are related to the rash it could be a bit of a pollen or grass allergy, I know the pollen count has been pretty high this last couple of weeks - I don't usually get hay fever but my eyes have been sore and streaming all week!

Fingers crossed for you!

4. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Poor little love, hoping that its a pollen allergy which can be easily treated as Millies was , fingers crossed for you and Haley :(

5. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Might just be conjunctivitis which is easily treated. Pups are a worry and vets these days seem expensive, I understand they have heavy overheads (I used to be a veterinary nurse years ago) but I have to think twice before I go now.

6. Jen

Jen Registered Users

I'm sorry your having such a rough time with Hayley.

It never seems to happen to other peoples dogs does it ? Ive always been a regular at my vets whereas the other dogs in the family go once a year for boosters. ::)

Hopefully this will be easily treated. Her immune system will improve she is still very young.

Let us know how you get on. :)

7. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I used to be at the vets at least once a week until Harley was about 8 months old :( Harley had a very sensitive tummy and we had a really difficult time with it.
    I pay £10 a month for a pet plan with the vets that covers all sickness/illness consultant fees, reduced prescription charges, free nail clipping and a few other things. Might be worth seeing if your vet has so etching similar??
    Let us know how you get on at the vets please

8. lablover

lablover Registered Users

Meg was always getting ear infections when she was a puppy. We were down the vets regularly. But pleased to say she outgrew it and I'm sure Hayley will bless her. It might be like others have said, allergy to high pollen count. Let us know how you and Haley get on.

9. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Hope you've had good news from the vet, that it's something straightforward.

10. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Take heart :) I don't think that Hayley is unusual and it'll get much better as she gets older. Goopy eyes are something a lot of puppies get for one reason or another. I'm sure the vet will be able to help you sort it out :)

11. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

Just as a bit of a side note gunky eyes can also be caused by irritation from the environment - we found Penny used to get gunky eyes whenever we sprayed febreeze in our gym bags in the kitchen with her. It took us a while to figure out that the weeks we went to the gym more her eyes were bad. Just something to think about if you've had any air fresheners, new deodorants, scented candles etc

12. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Ah, sympathy from us - we seemed to have more than our fair share of eye, ear, tummy...and other things too.

Naya's suggestion of a fixed price charge if you can find a vet that does this might be worth it. Also, do shop around. Have a look at your options and the prices of different vets in your area. There are loads of different options (from things like pets at home to small private businesses) and prices do vary. Perhaps think about insurance if you are worried about a big, unaffordable bill?

Best of luck with it all.

13. Meg13

Meg13 Registered Users

Thank you everyone, I really appreciate the support :)

The vet confirmed that she does have an infection but it is nothing to worry about as these things are common. He gave us drops to give her four times a day for a week. The first dose went in easy because she didn't know what was going on...though I think she will catch on quick and avoid me like the plague hahaha

14. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Sorry you are having these difficulties. Hard on the heart and the wallet! Let's hope this is the last visit for a long while!

15. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I'm sure it'll cleat up quickly :) Time to bring out the super dooper treats, maybe :) I can understand - I hate eyedrops too....

16. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

It's really disheartening and worrying when you have a ad run like you've had.Hopefully she is on the mend now and you'll start to see improvements in Haley's health and your bank balance
    Best wishes
    Angela x

17. lablover

lablover Registered Users

Poor Haley, those eye drops will sort your gungy eyes out. Here's hoping that things improve for Haley.

18. Meg13

Meg13 Registered Users

So far giving her the eye drops is going well! She isn't a huge fan of it, but it isn't impossible to give them to her. Her eyes seem less heavy today, though she still had a few yellow blobs. Things are already starting to look up! And her rash is almost completely gone...I can breathe easy again! haha

19. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Thats good to hear , on the mend :)

20. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Good news! They can be such a worry....