Oh dear

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by kateincornwall, Nov 21, 2013.

1. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Took the dogs to Golitha early this morning , Millie is loads better now so I felt more relaxed , obviously far too relaxed ::) I dont usually have to watch Sam , we usually do a bit of retrieving and the rest of the time he is happy to stay reasonably close to me .
    I was daydreaming, miles away in fact, when I suddenly realised that Sam wasnt with us , Millie trotting along but the big lad nowhere in sight , so I called and whistled, nothing :(
    The route that I usually take leads us up high above the waterfall and then we climb down and take a lower path heading back alongside the river to the car park , its about a 3 mile walk in total, Sam does now every path but I was still very anxious indeed , worrying that he could have had an accident .
    I dont mind admitting that I was in tears , decided to head back to the car park where I could leave Millie with Paul and then set off to search for Sam when suddenly, this big black shape flashed by in total panic . He then put the brakes on and turned back to throw himself at me in utter joy , at least he was heading in the direction of the car park , but it makes me go cold to think of him crossing the road in panic to get to the car . Heaven knows where he had been, or why he didnt respond, or maybe he did respond but went the wrong way entirely, but all I know is that I have never been so pleased to see him in all my life , lesson learned, keep my eye on the ball in future :(

2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Re: Oh dear

How worrying for you Kate! But good boy Sam, coming back. I saw on the beach how Sam doesn't normally leave you (Charlie, meanwhile legs it around saying hello to everyone).

3. lois

lois Registered Users

Oh god how scary for you thank goodness he came back to you bless him, hope you've both recovered now xx

4. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Poor you and poor Sam. He'd probably been having a good sniff turned around and you'd gone poor lad.

I know that feeling when you think you've lost them then the relief when they appear.

So glad it was all alright in the end.

Jen :D

5. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Thank goodness Sam came back :). I wonder if the weather makes a difference to their behaviour, it certainly does here :eek: ::)

6. kateincornwall

Its very windy here today so maybe that spooked him , its not like him at all, he is usually my velcro dog,oh well alls well that ends well, it was soooo lovely to see the look of pure joy on his silly big face when he found me ;D

7. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

thank goodness !!!!! poor Sam will have had the fright of his life and given you the fright of yours!

so glad you're all ok :*

8. Alice

Alice Registered Users

Poor you and poor Sam. I expect he will be staying very close to you next time you go for a walk.
    Alice

9. kateincornwall

We have been to the big beach at Par this afternoon , Sam stayed very close indeed , I think he just took the wrong path when he heard me whistle this morning and its scared him to death, just thank goodness that he knows that wood so well and was heading back to the start point :)

10. David

David Registered Users

Phew what a relief. When I lose Lady she's usually sitting patiently behind me!

11. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

On Kate,my tummy tightened reading your post......don't be shy about admitting tears.....I would have been wailing......I give dexter a fright sometimes on purpose ::) ...if he's routing round in the bushes and I can keep him in view ,I'll hide,he comes running like a scud missile,but it's never far .Its a bit mean but I want to keep him keen to stay with me ::) I would hate to see that face and body language if he was genuinely lost and scared though ....sam won't do that again he's a good boy,sorry you had such a fright xxxx

12. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

oh no, i can imagine how upset you was ,.....thank goodness he came back :)
    i hide behind trees from jasper :)

13. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

So glad you were quickly reunited!! Terrible feeling to realise they're gone....

14. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Poor Sam!
    I would love a "velcro dog" :-[