Oh no..... SO disappointed!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Rosie, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

I thought we were doing so well. I thought Pongo (17 weeks now) had really 'got' the whole housetraining thing, except for being able to ask us to open the door. We've been rewarding every time he 'goes' outside (although admittedly recently we've been letting him out to do his business but not going out with him - he goes and then immediately gallops back to us for his biscuit). And we haven't had any accidents for a fortnight. So I really thought we'd cracked it.

And then yesterday he just decides to have a dump inside the front door; and last night (2am) he asks to go out then runs back INSIDE the house to have a pee in the kitchen; and today he just walks up to the french windows and has a pee on the mat.

I could cry. What have we done wrong? Are we back to square one? I really don't understand what is going on in his head.

Big sigh.

It's feels even worse because tomorrow we are putting him into kennels (well, home boarding) for the first time - only for one night, but it seems such a shame to do that when he's obviously struggling with something or other about understanding the difference between inside and outside!

2. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Re: Oh no..... SO disappointed!

Hi Rosie, don't despair just start taking Pongo outside again to make sure he is going to the toilet, perhaps he is just going outside and doesn't like being on his own and not going to the loo. You could hang a bell on your door and teach Pongo to ring it when he wants to go outside, I have successfully trained my rescue dog Charlie as he couldn't ask either. Just a thought. He'll get it don't worry he is still very young x :)

3. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Fear not.

He's still young and learning.

Go out with him, shut the door so he can't dash back in :)

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I so know the feeling! Just when you think it's sorted. ::)

He is still very young. Just go back to the routine - out often - always go with him - always reward. You might pop him in his crate as it approaches "time to go" to avoid any accidents.

Good luck! I thought I'd never put the mop bucket away at one point! But it worked out in the end.

5. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

One step forward, two steps back is par for the course Rosie, dont despair please, just back to basics for a little while , he will get there :)

6. UncleBob

UncleBob Supporting Member Forum Supporter

When we first got Harvey we used to leave the indoor cleaning stuff on the kitchen counter - ready for prompt action if he had an accident. I swear every time we thought he'd 'cracked it' and we put the cleaning stuff away he'd have an accident and we'd have to get it out again ::)

We got there in the end and so will you - keep at it ;)