Oh So Sick of the Bitting....

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Pat, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Pat

Pat Registered Users

I know I have posted this before and so have many others, but I am oh so sick of the biting. Its been so cold here in Northern MN and today is no exception. So I can't take Maggie who is 13 weeks old outside to burn off energy other than go to the bathroom.

So I think, "I will throw the ball around inside or her rope toy to help her release her energy," we have a large basement with plenty of room to run. She will chase them a bit, but she prefers to spend most of her time chewing and biting me, she won't even chase after her toys, so she really isn't burning off any energy. I spend most of the time prying her off my forearms and hands which are literately covered in scratch marks and dried blood. :(

I hate to walk away, but at times that's all I can do, she doesn't respond to any the strategy or corrections I have read about for biting. I can't wait for warmer weather even temps in the teens would be welcomed!

Thanks for any input.
    Pat

2. GreenBull

GreenBull Registered Users

Re: Oh So Sick of the Bitting....

Can't help but can totally sympathise. Ours is 3 1/2 months. He is really good, only chewing his toys and.....me. Has never touched the furniture or anything else.

I do get a little exacerbated when he starts on my forearms.

at least my skin is cheaper than a sofa.

3. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

Know that feeling. Clever dog. Learns easily. Why cannot it learn I am NOT a chew toy.

Just wish she would hurry up and grow out of it.

4. Erics Mum

Erics Mum Registered Users

Eric is the same - had him since 9weeks and he's now 15. The biting of hands/arms/toes ect is slowly getting better. The tugging if the clothes seems to still be there but it's certainly a long process.

5. Suthuncat

Suthuncat Registered Users

oh mercy, i am with you... orion thinks i'm one big chew toy, and i have consistently done the NO and walk away strategy.... all i can say is that i am seeing TINY improvements. for example, he's stopped attacking our feet... which was a big problem for about a week and a half after we got him - he would go AFTER our poor toes in their poor socks, and CHOMP and... well. that hurts!!!!!

he still goes after my hands and arms... so all i can say is we fully empathize, and all you can do is keep on being consistent and either removing yourself or giving the pup a toy and praising the pup when they chomp on the toy vs you... (although orion is like you - i can offer him a nice yummy chew and he thinks - NAH - LET'S CHEW ON MOM!)

6. Pat

Pat Registered Users

Thanks, its actually nice too hear others biting problems, today was especially tough. And man oh man does she get crazy about a half an hour before feeding time! But that's another story.

:)

7. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Hang in there, Pat :) It will stop. Your days as a human chew toy are numbered.

Walking away is a good strategy. Once you prise those jaws open, that is :) If you're still having trouble, one other option, which sounds a little mean but which isn't really, is to use a spray bottle of water to give her a little squirt if she is really getting ferocious and hanging on for grim death. Just have it on the 'gentle mist' setting not the 'fire hose jet' setting. Back this up with the walk away technique.

8. Tillydyes

Tillydyes Registered Users

Spraying a puppy with water might stop the biting but it will not teach it anything about bite inhibition, the only thing that will teach it is that your not very nice to be around.

The following is part of a post from another forum. It's the best advice I have read yet about the subject.

edited to remove cross posting - I'll add links on bite inhibition below, Pippa

9. Oberon

Normally I'd make a similar comment to a post suggesting a 'startle' method in response to unwanted behaviour. But in this case the OP is having some trouble getting the puppy's jaws off her arm (using the usual techniques of yelping, 'No!' etc.) in order to be able to withdraw attention and walk away. That means there's a long delay between the puppy's behaviour (initiating a hard bite) and the consequence (withdrawal of attention). That will reduce the impact of the consequence and its ability to reduce the unwanted behaviour. A brief, gently spray to get the pup to release quickly (followed by the human leaving the scene) is likely to be more effective. We're not talking a severe punishment here :)

Yes, it is true that puppies need to use their teeth in order to learn to use their teeth gently. I totally agree. I'm not suggesting a method to prevent any biting, just a method to respond to biting in a way that will aid learning, and save the OP's arms :)

10. Tillydyes

Tillydyes Registered Users

[quote author=Oberon link=topic=4151.msg49280#msg49280 date=1390470658]
    I'm not suggesting a method to prevent any biting, just a method to respond to biting in a way that will aid learning, and save the OP's arms :)
    [/quote]

The whole point is to 'respond' teach without physical punishment. Which is covered in what I quoted.

11. Oberon

The article you posted is a very good one and I totally agree with it :) But sometimes people have a puppy who will simply not respond to the yelp part of the 'yelp and ignore' method (though it's certainly the one I've used with success at the puppy stage and also with my current dog who bit hands and faces when I got him at 9 months). Some pups get excited by loud "no's" as well.

Certainly the use of any aversive (which is definitely what a water spray is) is something to use with care. I'd never use it on an anxious or frightened dog, for example - that'd be a disaster.

12. jade805

jade805 Registered Users

Amy thought our yelping was "game on" and got more excited!

13. Oberon

Yeah, that can happen.... Same with saying 'NO'. Some puppies would think a water spray was brilliant too....

Withdrawal of attention and brief time-outs are the most effective approaches, I reckon. Just got to be consistent with doing that and stick it out. And stock up on band aids :)

14. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Oberon link=topic=4151.msg49300#msg49300 date=1390476306]
    Yeah, that can happen.... Same with saying 'NO'. Some puppies would think a water spray was brilliant too....
    [/quote]

I reckon a water spray would send Charlie over the edge. He'd explode with excitement. Well, he did the day OH squirted Charlie with the hose in the garden when Charlie was eating the strawberries (not an action approved by me, I was very disapproving - didn't speak to OH for hours). We can't get the hose out now without Charlie trampling the strawberry beds in anticipation of a water fight.

BevE likes this.
  15. Oberon

Yeah, I know a couple of Border Collies who simply beg to have the garden hose turned full in their faces....

Guess it's a matter of getting to know exactly what your dog does and does not find rewarding :) Won't be the same for them all.

16. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Hang on in there, it really does get better :)

17. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

Today Molly LICKED me. Small step I know, but for those of us living with a nibbling puppy it is 'the light at the end of the tunnel', 'the first green shoots of Spring'. I could wax lyrical. Oh I already did

The constant teeth is so wearing. You are reluctant to pet them as it usually ends up with your flesh being abused but it so important to teach them about affection.

I didn't really buy into 'Bite Inhibition!, but I can see it is correct. Those teeth can inflict some real damage, but she hasn't really hurt me or drawn blood recently. So obviously she is learning control.

Now, if we can only work on the jumping up! No doubt that will come with maturity, but I reserve the right NOT to like it and to continue yelling 'Down' at least it feels as if I'm trying to do something.

18. David

David Registered Users

Yes it really does get better. Lady was a cronic mouther that included a lot of nipping. We used to despair of ever being able to trust her around other people, but the bite inhibition technique really works. As with most training though you will need to "proof" it with other people. My dog got the hang of it with us in the end but still persisted with others. Not good.

She's 4 now and good as gold - mostly. Occasionally she forgets herself with others if they get her too excited and then she opens her mouth (but actually doesn't bite). The key even now with my dog is keeping her in check on the excitement front with others especially strangers - and some strangers really don't have a clue how to interact with a large dog.

Nowadays - and she only does it with me - I will let her take my hand in her mouth and she will hold it ever so gently then let go and give me a lick. She's unbelievably gentle now and yet 3 years ago you'd have thought she was a lost cause.

Don't give up - it will get better if you are consistent. :D

19. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Way to go. Harley can be a jumper, it used to be really bad and she would jump on everyone, now it is only on 3 people who are close friends. I always tell them to twist their body away from her if she jumps up at them and stay down in a firm voice. It took a while, but we have got there. Keep at it Tina x

20. Oberon

We got Obi at 9 months and up till that point he'd been encouraged to grab people's hands, wrists and clothing and pull them around for a game. You couldn't put your face near his head or he'd grab that too. Quite firmly and enough to really hurt. We just used the same techniques you'd use with a puppy - walking away and time-outs. That worked. Any verbal rebuke would get him even more excited so we stopped trying that pretty quickly. Fortunately he learned fast with the 'walk away/time out' approach and he is careful with his teeth now. He is nearly 2 now.

Jumping up......well, we're getting there :) I think the 'turn around and ignore' method is the most effective. We have had visitors who have tried pushing, kneeing, slapping Obi on the face :mad: and shouting and all these things achieve is more enthusiastic jumping and a gritted-teeth instruction from me to please either ask him to sit or just turn around. Managing other people who sabotage your training is a challenge. But persistence with both dog and visitors works in the end.