Oh, the shedding!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Rue7514, May 7, 2015.

1. Rue7514

Rue7514 Registered Users

It's shedding season, and good lord, I have brushed enough hair off Rue to cover a horse, I feel like. I bought a Zoom Groom brush a few months back (it's a rubber brush so it's not harsh on their skin), and have been brushing her for 20 minutes every night for the past two weeks, and I STILL get a dust pan full every single time!

Brushing her often has at least kept the hair from getting all over the house, but I feel like it's never going to stop coming!

2. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Re: Oh, the shedding!

LOL
    Nope :D

Someone told me that more brushing = more shedding ;)

3. charlie

charlie Registered Users

[quote author=drjs@5 link=topic=10853.msg161692#msg161692 date=1431029557]

Someone told me that more brushing = more shedding ;)
    [/quote]

That's what I thought too. x

4. Rue7514

Rue7514 Registered Users

So maybe I am brushing TOO much! I was trying to speed up the process of shedding that pesky winter coat!

5. maisiesmomma

maisiesmomma Registered Users

With the zoom groom, I feel like you just get the hair that would end up on the floor. I can zoom Maisie and dump the hair all at once, or sweep and get all the hair off the floor. Plus I usually get a lot of hair off her if I don't zoom groom just by how I pet her, so it's more useful o just get it done outside.

Maybe just lessen how much you do? A quick 5-10 minutes each day instead of 20 thorough might strike a good balance.

6. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

A dog has a finite number of hair follicles so I can't see a way for brushing to increase fur quantity :) Nor does it cause fur to fall out. Brushing helps exfoliate skin - it's a good thing to do. And if you brush the fur will be in your brush and then in the bin, not on the floor. So, I say brush.

They just shed a lot, and there's no way round it. Some shed more than others as they have a thicker coat or more undercoat.

7. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

I think it's SUPPOSED to be some theory about brushing increasing blood supply and hence hair growth.
    I don't routinely brush...just if I see loose hair.
    I think it was our hydro lady that suggested it to me that brushing before a swim loosened hair that then ended up in her pool :D
    Benefit of brushing is that you can pop the hair outside for bird collecting :)

8. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

The other day I commented on a post about how Shadow had had a terrible shed some time back but it's now stopped and that Willow has never really shed anything.

I think I need a glass of water to help me swallow those words down.

Shadow has, just today, started shedding like a thing possessed. I got the furminator-esque brush out and went at them both for about twenty minutes. Shadow must now weight half as much as he did before from the amount I got out and even Willow was leaving decent amounts in the brush. Argh!

On the plus side, they both feel fabulously soft after the purge :)

9. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

[quote author=drjs@5 link=topic=10853.msg161716#msg161716 date=1431034983]
    I think it's SUPPOSED to be some theory about brushing increasing blood supply and hence hair growth[/quote]

My vet did say that it increases blood circulation to the skin. But I don't think that'd have any effect on hair growth.... If it does then all you bald people out there had better buy yourself a Zoom Groom and start Zoom Grooming ;D But only after I invest my life savings in Zoom Groom Inc. ;)

10. maisiesmomma

maisiesmomma Registered Users

[quote author=drjs@5 link=topic=10853.msg161716#msg161716 date=1431034983]
    I think it was our hydro lady that suggested it to me that brushing before a swim loosened hair that then ended up in her pool :D
    Benefit of brushing is that you can pop the hair outside for bird collecting :)
    [/quote]

Huh, interesting. I always brush my hair before a shower because I feel like it gets the loose hairs that would otherwise end up in the shower OUT. I guess maybe if you don't remove the loose fur?

I brush Maisie outside right now. We are making progress! I put the brush down to refill my hand with treats (I give greats with one hand, brush with the other) and she looked at it but didn't grab it because she knew if she waited she'd get some good treats. Sems like she's starting to understand it isn't a toy.

11. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

I usually give Juno a light brush twice a week, but only for a couple of minutes and normally don't have much fur on the brush

12. Lochan

Lochan Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Dogs normally shed hair in a mosaic pattern so they don't get bald patches. Brushing with a zoom groom only removes dead hair which is going to come out anyway and I've never seen any evidence that brushing increases shedding. I zoom and comb my two whenever I feel the hoover is going to struggle to cope with the carpets if i leave them any longer....

13. Rue7514

Rue7514 Registered Users

[quote author=Lochan link=topic=10853.msg161817#msg161817 date=1431084492]
    Dogs normally shed hair in a mosaic pattern so they don't get bald patches. Brushing with a zoom groom only removes dead hair which is going to come out anyway and I've never seen any evidence that brushing increases shedding. I zoom and comb my two whenever I feel the hoover is going to struggle to cope with the carpets if i leave them any longer....
    [/quote]

I had this problem in November when she shed her summer coat. The carpets and furniture were covered! Brushing almost daily has really helped keep it under control.

14. Rue7514

Rue7514 Registered Users

[quote author=snowbunny link=topic=10853.msg161724#msg161724 date=1431036017]

On the plus side, they both feel fabulously soft after the purge :)
    [/quote]

This is very true! Soft and shiny.

15. sunsetpines

sunsetpines Registered Users

I was noticing yesterday that Crystal is shedding something fierce right now....but of course her snowy white hair shows up magnificently on the dark blue sheet that covers the sofa she snoozes on. ::)

Bella is shedding a bit too....Guess this weekend we'll spend some time outside with the brush and see if we can get most of it OUTSIDE instead of in the house. 8)

16. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

I zoom groom Molly on the patio, then throw the ball around a bit so any bits still sticking to her coat fall off in the garden.

When the sun is just right I can see the hairs floating on the breeze.